Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Next Michael Bay Abortion: Rosemary's Baby

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Next Michael Bay Abortion: Rosemary's Baby

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Damaging to those who despise any and all remakes. I'm sure there would be far more complaints from people if The Godfather was remade, compared to Rosemary's Baby.
Undoubtedly so. I guess I just found it odd that you wished that every horror film be remade by Bay's company, but then talked about how it would be damaging if one of those films were remade. I only say this because I completely agree with your assessment of why remakes get made, so I don't know why people's angry complaints should even matter following the studio logic you laid out. It's all just about the money, so people being upset about it is not going to damage anything.

I think the problem with Rosemary's Baby being remade is that it is on oscar winning film by an oscar winning director. So this is not some cult, campy trash that could benefit in any way from a remake. So does Bay's company really think that they can do better than Polanski? Based on their track record, I think it would be safe to say fuck no. Now if a truly respectable director such as Peter Jackson got behind this remake, I would understand it and be interested in seeing his take on the material.

I apologize if I'm being too argumentative, I was just surprised to hear you say that you want all horror films to be remade by Bay's company when you clearly understand how much that would piss people off.

And to everybody pointing out the obvious yes, I know that Bay himself is not directing this as I''m sure everybody else in this thread is.
Old 03-13-08, 08:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If The Godfather was ever remade, I would lose all faith in humanity.
Old 03-13-08, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem I have with a remake of this film is that whomever does it will make it into a full blown horror film, when the original is a very well put together thiller about paranoia and so much more. I don't think Bay or his company will do anything that can live up the original. And watch, I bet they offer Mia Farrow the roll of Minnie Castevet. I say let Bay get the ball rolling and take over the remake of Race with the Devil. Thats a remake that I could see Bay turning into something half way desent.
Old 03-13-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I have long suspected that the baby from the original grew up to be Michael Bay.

I think this announcement proves that to be true.
Old 03-13-08, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
how dare you bash the guy who broguht us a movie that did the Transformers justice?! Shame on you all. All his sins have since been whiped clean.
Transformers was a huge flaming turd of a movie.Giant robots from outer space who can turn into vehicles.And hey one even talks like he came from the hood.Great.Movies based on dolls.(Yes dolls-action figures are just dolls for boys).
Old 03-13-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastyear
Transformers was a huge flaming turd of a movie.Giant robots from outer space who can turn into vehicles.And hey one even talks like he came from the hood.Great.Movies based on dolls.(Yes dolls-action figures are just dolls for boys).
First, Transformers was based on a television show (and comics?). Second, you are supposed to press the space bar after a punctuation.
Old 03-13-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so everyone is looking forward to this film i see...
Old 03-14-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Couldn't be any worse than the zillion rip-offs made in the immediate following years.
Old 03-14-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
I think it's a great choice. Polanski's a pretty good director, but I think he missed what the story really needed -- lots of very load, spectacular explosions.
Also, Tara Reid would be perfect as "Rosemary".
Old 03-14-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can it be worse than the TVM sequel, "Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby", where Patty Duke played the Mia Farrow part?
Old 03-15-08, 07:55 PM
Suspended

Michael Bay rocks. Stop the hate. Appreciate.
Old 03-15-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michael Bay isn't directing this, is he? Kinda like putting Tarantino's name on everything to sell movies no would want to see.
Old 03-16-08, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I hope this has a nu-metal soundtrack and a washed out look. Oh and extreme close ups of people yelling.
Do you mean when a movie has noises of slamming doors very loud and everything looks greenish teal?
Old 03-16-08, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by coli
Michael Bay is the definition of everything that is wrong with the summer blockbuster these days. Zero story, zero character development, CGI & Action galore with teenagers who have an attention span of about 5 seconds. Oh how I miss those summer blockbusters called Jaws, Star Wars, and Back to the Future....
But TRANSFORMERS was great. Your comments is what I thought and didn't go see it at the show , but rented the dvd and enjoyed the movie. Better than what won BEST PICTURE of 2007.
Old 03-16-08, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by benh911
If The Godfather was ever remade, I would lose all faith in humanity.
You should have lost it when they remade PSYCHO.
The problem is this under 23 movie goers who refuse to watch old movies and don't know the plot lines. And to them these remakes are new to their minds.
THE GODFATHER would be a great remake for the studio because then they can make 90minute movies and stretch it out to over every 2 years a sequel like the HARRY POTTERS.
Old 03-16-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Since it would be impossible for anyone involved with Michael Bay to make a worse movie than "Transformers," I retain a sense of optimism...

...oh, who am I kidding? It'll be terrible.
Old 03-16-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
I love his movies, Transformers was one of the best movies last year. His Action flicks are among the best out there
Yep'. Bay is one of the only guys powerful enough to be working on these huge movies. Bay's are good. Most others are bad. Maybe he does do it for the cash. I don't care. The point is - he's devoted to his job. He does what he knows. And it shows. He want a little out of his league with Pearl Harbor - and it showed (underperforming box office, poor audience reactions). He's out making pop culture movies. There's good pop and bad pop. Bay makes good pop. He's like the ... uhh ... U2 of filmmaking.

I bet Bay has, like, 2% to do with this project. Remaking Rosemary's Baby seems a little silly. I'm not some old-film afficinado art fuck like some of you people. But the original isn't that old. And not really outdated. I saw it on cable a couple years ago, and really liked it. It's a good movie that young people would probably like if they watched it. I'd much rather see Dune remake Dead Alive (as someone else mentioned). That would be sweet - and deserved.
Old 03-17-08, 04:31 AM

I'm not sure a Rosemary's Baby remake would work... (not that it will stop anything)
Part of the originals drive is Mia Farrow being tormented for reasons unknown to her and how she reacts.
Assuming they set the movie in today, the whole set-up of unwitting innocent as vessel for Spawn of Satan is... obsolete.
If a Satanic Coven needs a womb for Satan all they have to do is place an ad on craigslist.
The damn thing would turn into a farce as opposed to a creepy movie (which the original was).
Old 03-17-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So is the original film being replaced, destroyed, reedited or being made otherwise available to anyone interested in seeing it?

No?

Then stop wetting your beds over nothing. If you don't like the idea of a remake, just don't see it.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
It's too bad cinematic rape isn't considered a crime like the real kind of rape.
What a horribly insensitive thing to say. I sickens me that you would belittle the suffering of actual rape victims in such a callow and dismissive way.
Old 03-17-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Explain to me how remaking The Godfather or 2001 would be "damaging" using the studio logic you noted above.
Probably because a remake of the Godfather wwould suffer from the inevitable comparison with the original. And if everyone says it sucks compared to the original, then it probably won't make any money. Not to mention, the target audience of remakes (and most films in general) are young Americans. And those typically aren't the type of people to sit through 3 hour long dramas. If a studio wants to remake a movie, it's for money. But I'm not sure I see how money can be made on some of these remakes (although it depends how much of a remake it is. Exactly like the orginal or loosely based on the original).