Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'The Wrestler' D:Daron Aronofsky, w/Mickey Rourke

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'The Wrestler' D:Daron Aronofsky, w/Mickey Rourke

Old 05-07-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: 'The Wrestler' D:Daron Aronofsky, w/Mickey Rourke

Originally Posted by RichC2
Pro-Wrestling is fake refers to its status as a competitive sport. The competition aspect is non-existent, the match winners are pre-decided, it's a soap opera for guys. As such, yes, it's fake and scripted.

Doesn't mean people aren't getting injured.
Originally Posted by Tarantino
I believe most here are in agreement that it is not a sport, but rather an entertainment show.

= J
Right. Wrestling being "fake" might have been accurate and a revelation in the 80's, but ever since the late 90's it's well accepted and publically acknowledged that the outcomes are scripted. Like I was trying to say earlier, "fake" isn't really accurate anymore since it isn't assumed that people are believing it to be real and competitive. It's fake the same way any other TV show is fake. Hence the "sports entertainment" term the WWE likes to use.
Old 05-07-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I believe most here are in agreement that it is not a sport, but rather an entertainment show.

= J
Yes. I agree.
Never understood why the stands are always crowded while watching guys do whatever it is they are doing.
Old 05-13-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From PWI:

Scott Siegel, the actor who played a drug dealer for Mickey Rourke's Randy the Ram in "The Wrestler" was indicted yesterday on charges of possessing and distributing steroids and assaulting law enforcement officers and will be arraigned tomorrow at 2:30 PM.

Siegel faces up to 45 years in jail if convicted, 5 years for the possession and distribution, and 20 years for each count of assaulting authorities, once by hitting a car they were in and once by attempting to run down another officer with his SUV.

Siegel was apprehended on 2/18 after a dramatic car chase where he rammed several police vehicles during a chase through several areas of Westchester, New York. He was finally caught in Eastchester after abandoning his SUV for another car and then finally attempting to flee on foot.

Authorities allege Siegel had over $100,000 in cash and 1,500 bottles of anabolic steroids between two homes shortly after they arrested him. In today's edition of New York Newsday, Siegel's lawyer, Barry Levin, says his client acted out of fear.

According to an interview Rourke gave on Jimmy Kimmel Live several months back, he and Darren Aronofsky discovered Siegel in a club and offered him the role despite having no previous acting experience. Rourke claimed in the interview that Siegel's work had led to two additional acting roles since "The Wrestler." In his scene with Rourke, Siegel plays a drug dealer that hooks up Randy the Ram with steroids in a gym locker room.

Siegel's arrest made international news outlets due to his connection with the Academy Award nominated film, in the Lower Hudson, New York area. He will be arraigned tomorrow for distribution of steroids and assaulting an officer.

Siegel has two previous drug convictions.
Old 06-20-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Finally saw this.

I hate dramas, they're suppose to be made to pull you in and make you feel for the players involved but in reality, they all play it safe and just make you feel the same damn thing you've already felt a million times already.

They become superficial and boring - just plain shit. They are also some of the worst movies to try and discuss with their "defenders" because they take it so damn personally.

And having said all that...I loved the shit out of the wrestler simply because of how the story was told. Nothing ever rolls on for too long and there is little time to feel sympathy for Rourke's character because by the time you start, he's already about to fuck up again. He's irresponsible, reckless, childish, and most important, he has a big heart and that's what makes it all work so well.

The movie plays out like a real life situation (take the "signing" scene for example where he is looking around at his fellow washed up, battered up wrestlers) - it's like they refuse to accept to move on or believe they are done.

You end up sympathizing with the character when you realize he is trapped by his ways - he is a loser and knows nothing else and will only do things on his terms. He means well but can never get it right. He tries but then realizes he can't do it so he cops out and goes back to the only thing he knows and really loves - his addiction of the crowd and wrestling.

Aronofsky has always been one of my fav directors - this is easily his best film and it's the first time in many, many, years that I watched the film half way through a second time immediately after completing the first viewing.

I don't like wrestling at all but I was amazed at how good the wrestling scenes were done.

Every scene in this movie had a point and contributed to the overall outcome and feel of the flick - not many films do this nowadays.

I was expecting a standard drama movie here and eneded up getting slapped in the face by an extremely well made film.
Old 06-20-09, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You hate dramas? Aren't most of the best films in cinema...dramas? How does your film taste work out?
Old 06-21-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
You hate dramas? Aren't most of the best films in cinema...dramas? How does your film taste work out?
My film taste? Simple, a great movie is a great movie; doesn't matter what genre it's in.

Most dramas don't dare go anywhere near where the wrestler did. My point was more aimed at the typical mainstream hollywood drama - whereas I myself was expecting that from the wrestler, it went down a completely different path.
Old 06-21-09, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rourke and Tomi is what gave the movie magic.