Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shoot "Em Up has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shoot "Em Up has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I found more to like in Smokin' Aces... it's still the type of movie I don't care for.... little or no redeeming value in any of it. But it did have a good variety of characters at least.
Old 03-18-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm about half-way through the film and so far, all I've got to say is:

Shoot 'Em Up is the perfect film ...

for me to poop on!

I mean really, the action sequences are completely ridiculous and laughable and the plot ... I mean, "the plot" ... seems like it was written by a couple of 7th graders with ADD. Clive Owen was really spot-on with his line in the film when he said, "This is really fucked up". I'm going to finish watching the rest anyway, just because I hate leaving a film halfway, but man ...

At least it's neat to see the area around where I work being featured prominently in almost every friggin' scene of the film, since it was filmed in downtown Toronto.
Old 03-18-08, 01:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
the action sequences are completely ridiculous and laughable and the plot ... I mean, "the plot" ... seems like it was written by a couple of 7th graders with ADD. Clive Owen was really spot-on with his line in the film when he said, "This is really fucked up".
you're spot on, but does it make it bad, since that was the intent?
Old 03-18-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved it.

However, I didn't care for There Will Be Blood, and I know many loved it.

I mean, I knew going in how stupid it was. It was an enjoyable stupid (if there is such a thing.) The outrageous fight scenes, all fun.

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I thought C&L was complete shit.
Totally agree. One of the worst movies I have ever seen!

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 03-18-08 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would it be safe to say that if you enjoyed Shoot 'Em Up you'd also enjoy Doomsday? Both of which I dug
Old 03-18-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not really. I hated Shoot 'Em Up but really enjoyed Doomsday. It may be a genre thing. I'm not a huge action fan but love Science Fiction and Horror.
Old 03-19-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was pretty obvious they intended it to be a live action cartoon. With the carrots and bugs bunny references. It was OK for what it was, one of those movies you completely forget about 10min after having watched it.
Old 03-19-08, 08:39 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
This was an awesome flick...delivered exactly what it was supposed to. Anyone who couldn't see this for what it was either wasn't trying or simply going in waiting for something else. It is a shame when that happens..but different stroke different folks I suppose.

Smokin' Aces on the other hand, it a good movie, but no where near the caliber of Shoot'em Up. Aces gets bogged down trying to be a gangster movie and a shoot'em up...instead of a shoot'em up with gangsters. But after watching that several times, I am starting to see what the intention was...flawed but still very good.
Old 03-19-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if the people who've seen Shoot 'Em Up and liked it have seen Kung Fu Hustle. I know I wish Michael Davis had.
Old 03-19-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My father just loves Kung Fu Hustle. He enjoyed Shoot Em Up as well.

Myself, I have yet to see KFH
Old 03-19-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Fortunately that's only about 10 minutes of footage.
seemed like 30-40 minutes to me
Old 03-19-08, 11:58 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by The Bus
I wonder if the people who've seen Shoot 'Em Up and liked it have seen Kung Fu Hustle. I know I wish Michael Davis had.
I dug Kung Fu Hustle...but I think it is granny smith apples and mackintosh apples. They have similar feels and textures, but the taste is totally different.
Old 03-19-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finished watching the latter half of the movie last night, and I must say, I didn't find the second half too bad. It still bothered me that Clive Owen's character is able to jump through glass windows and be propelled into a van through the windshield and still end up exactly where he wants to be, still able to shoot down each and every one of the bad guys without so much as wasting a bullet, all the while maintaining a calm expression on his face. I think I would have preferred more of a Bruce Willis / Die Hard approach to the action, where the hero is able to do all the crazy stuff but it looks like there's more effort required on his part to do it. Nonetheless, taking it for what it is, I am considering giving this another chance on Blu-ray, if only to see the spectacle in pretty, pretty HD.
Old 03-19-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just to throw in my 2 cents: I saw Shoot 'Em Up in the theater and was very entertained - got exactly what I expected. Smokin' Aces on the other hand sucked quite big balls IMO. Not nearly enough action and not much else to keep you occupied while you're thinking there's not enough action.
Old 03-19-08, 10:08 PM

There's really no in between with this film, it's a love it or hate it thing. While not on par with Evil Dead 2, Shoot Em Up is to action what Evil Dead 2 is to horror. Not everyone "gets" that kind of satire, and that's alright. It's just a matter of preference. I loved it. It would be a great time to get a bunch of friends together, mix some cocktails, and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

To the OP, what did you think of Crank?
Old 03-19-08, 10:28 PM

People can "get" the satire and still not like the movie. I understood exactly what the film was trying to do while watching it, and still did not enjoy it. Just because something is a satire does not automatically make it good. It's not that simple folks. As already mentioned, Kung Fu Hustle is a perfect example of a great satire that is also a great film.
Old 03-19-08, 10:33 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
by "get" I think he meant "thought was funny" as well.
Old 03-25-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I tried to watch it but I shut it off at the SECOND carrot in the head killing. What a piece of shit movie.
Old 03-25-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
People can "get" the satire and still not like the movie. I understood exactly what the film was trying to do while watching it, and still did not enjoy it. Just because something is a satire does not automatically make it good. It's not that simple folks. As already mentioned, Kung Fu Hustle is a perfect example of a great satire that is also a great film.
Meet the Spartans is also satire.
Old 03-25-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I think it's one of the best satires I've seen in years. Totally insane and wonderful fun.
Agreed, this film is an absurd masterpiece.

I'm someone who hates most action movies; it's ironic to me that most people slamming this as "pointless action" are fans of...well...pointless action movies.
Old 03-25-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I wonder if the people who've seen Shoot 'Em Up and liked it have seen Kung Fu Hustle.
I enjoyed Shaolin Soccer a lot more than KFH.
Old 04-07-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I just watched this movie and thought it was pretty good for a mindless shoot em up. I think the director must have played No One Lives Forever.
Old 04-07-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Well I tried to watch it but I shut it off at the SECOND carrot in the head killing. What a piece of shit movie.
Reminded me of the ice-cream cone scene in Last Action Hero.