Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shoot "Em Up has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shoot "Em Up has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is one of those movies that I really wanted to like, and expected to like, and ended up hating it.
Old 03-04-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I saw this in theaters after my local college team got dominated in foozball.

I didn't like it at first, I had a big "Why did I pay to see this?", but something happened around the 15 minute mark where it all set in and I realized it was accomplishing exactly what it was trying to do. It had no top, and I loved it.
Old 03-04-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Smithers
It's called a sense of humor, something you obviously should look into.

Shoot "Em Up is one of the funniest movies of 2007.
Does not compute.
Old 03-04-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I think it's one of the best satires I've seen in years. Totally insane and wonderful fun.
Er, Kung Fu Hustle is an insane, fun satire. Shoot 'Em Up was just way, waay too uneven.
Old 03-04-08, 11:53 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smithers
It's called a sense of humor, something you obviously should look into.

Shoot "Em Up is one of the funniest movies of 2007.
You're talking to a guy whose dad use to be in Second City. I'm pretty well aware of whats funny and not.
Old 03-05-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I LOVED Shoot Em Up.

Crank- I really liked.

Smokin Aces - Didn't care for it at all.
Old 03-05-08, 02:44 AM

You're complaining that 'Shoot Em Up' is a bad film? It can barely even be called a film.

What it is, is a fantastic excuse for ridiculous action set up after action set up, with ridiculous dialouge, one of the hottest women working in movies today as the femme fatale, super-freakin' awesome Clive Owen as the good guy, and Paul Giamatti chewing scenery for fun. Oh... and death by carrot.

There is a new genre of films, of which 'Shoot Em Up' belongs, of dumb movies that don't pretend to be anything other than they are. People got bored of action movies from big studios that just didn't deliver, and so, we were given 'dumb movies for intelligent audiences', like this, like Crank, like The Transporter and so many others. 'Shoot Em Up' isn't supposed to be good. It's supposed to be pure entertainment, and it is supposed to ease you of that feeling of being ass-raped by a bear when you walk out a movie theatre having seen the latest Adam Sandler/Ben Stiller studio spunkfest.

Complaining that a movie like 'Shoot Em Up' is no good is like complaining that you went to a strip club and came out frustrated. If it wasn't obvious that the thematic content wasn't exactly going to rival Citizen Kane, then lord help us all.
Old 03-05-08, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
"A new genre"

Riiiiiggghtt....

Shoot em up sucked...period.
Old 03-05-08, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bralph
I just watched this last night, and it is practically a perfect action movie. Completely over-the-top gun battles that had me laughing out loud at their absurdity. Doesn't take itself seriously, just setup after setup of tremendous action. Was the "story" underdeveloped? Sure, but I never really cared.

I wish I had bought it, rather than rented from Netflix. At just under 90 minutes, it would be easy to pop in again.
Couldn't agree more. Just watched it tonight. Netflix as well, and wish I had bought it instead. If you can't handle the absolute absurdity and aren't laughing in the first 15 minutes you might as well shut the movie off and find something better to do. I thought the movie was a fucking blast and loved every minute of it. Definitely a love it or hate it film. I doubt there is any middle ground on this one.

Originally Posted by indy81
Am I the only one who loved CRANK but thought SHOOT 'EM UP was nearly unwatchable? Where CRANK was frequently inventive and clever, SHOOT 'EM UP was profoundly unfunny (especially Giamatti) and seemed so labored compared to CRANK's effortless juvenile fantasy. Even the action sequences in SHOOT 'EM UP that had a chance to be good were so poorly shot and staged that their impact was ruined. And then it tried to be a political satire...ugh! Clive Owen and Monica Belucci deserve much better.
Quite the opposite. The comparisons to Crank are justified. Totally absurd shoestring plot that's merely there to string together the action sequences. Where this movie succeeds where Crank fails through is the casting. I love Jason Statham but he needed some strong villians to play off of. Clive Owen had just that in Paul Giamatti who was completely over the top and reveling in his role. Genius.

Crank:
Smokin Aces:
Shoot 'em Up:
Old 03-05-08, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

are they still going to make sequels?
Old 03-05-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by vedderstapp
There is a new genre of films, of which 'Shoot Em Up' belongs, of dumb movies that don't pretend to be anything other than they are.
No, there's tons of dumb movies that are great. Transformers is probably the best dumb movie of last year. This year, Fool's Gold was really good (and really dumb). Usually, dumb movies work best when the stupidity is effortless and natural. When the movie starts trying too hard, it starts falling apart. So this ends up being a bit more like Batman and Robin than Planet Terror.

(For the record, I still think Shoot 'Em Up was better than Rush Hour 3 or Smokin' Aces).
Old 03-05-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Doubtful, especially now that New Line is no more.
Old 03-05-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
You're talking to a guy whose dad use to be in Second City. I'm pretty well aware of whats funny and not.
...snickers.

Oh yeah? Well I had an uncle who was best friends with Richard Pryor. My Imaginary PhD in Comedy is bigger than yours!

Old 03-05-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs

Used to be? Guess he wasn't as funny as he thought.

I had to turn off Crank because it was so shitty.

Almost turned off Smoking Aces because it was so shitty.

Not even going to attempt to watch Shoot em Up.
Old 03-05-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still don't get how Smokin' Aces gets into this convo. That movie was all talk describing a plot that doesn't happen and a 15 minute shoot out. (Lets describe the plot from a potentially decent movie, keep doing it, keep doing it, throw in an action scene, and describe more plot from a potentially better movie.)

Crank was by far the better comparison, featuring the similar "plot takes back seat to craziness" motto. Though the action scenes and overall flick were pretty damn dull.
Old 03-05-08, 09:04 AM

I was quite unimpressed with this movie. I went in expecting a self aware over the top action flick. I got a self aware over the top action flick... that was completely lifeless and dull. The humor did not resonate with me at all.

As much fun as I think Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti are I thought the movie was miscast. I really didn't like Giamatta's villain at all. I think this movie would have benefited some from being lower budget and casting unknowns... I think it may have found some additional charm there... though, it still just didn't deliver for me. It was laking a personality. This is the kind of movie that should have some wit...

The one set piece I loved though was the skydiving scene. At the end when all the body's are on the ground I thought that was the right spirit for the film. Also, the Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd aspect was cute.

But I think I'd much rather watch something like Versus or Kung Fu Hustle (or hell even the classics Cliffhanger or Demolition Man ) for an over the top no nonsense action flick.
Old 03-05-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Bus
No, there's tons of dumb movies that are great. Transformers is probably the best dumb movie of last year.
No it wasn't, that would be Shoot 'em Up.

Originally Posted by Mopower
Used to be? Guess he wasn't as funny as he thought.

I had to turn off Crank because it was so shitty.

Almost turned off Smoking Aces because it was so shitty.

Not even going to attempt to watch Shoot em Up.
Kudos for knowing your limits. Like I said above regarding Shoot 'em Up, if you aren't hooked in the first 15 minutes, do yourself a favor and turn it off because you won't like the rest of the movie.

It really is like a live action Looney Tunes movie. Silly and over-the-top zany antics and a villain to match. Giamatti was perfect in the role.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 03-05-08 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
I was quite unimpressed with this movie. I went in expecting a self aware over the top action flick. I got a self aware over the top action flick... that was completely lifeless and dull. The humor did not resonate with me at all.

As much fun as I think Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti are I thought the movie was miscast. I really didn't like Giamatta's villain at all. I think this movie would have benefited some from being lower budget and casting unknowns...
I thought Crispin Glover would've been better as the villian after the breast touching scene. And for the record i thought Crank was pretty decent. Smoking Aces keeps coming on HBO and I see bits and pieces of it. It never grabbed me enough to watch the whole thing.
Old 03-05-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shoot 'Em Up had one thing and one thing only going for it: cool action scenes.

Whenever there wasn't action on screen, the movie flat out SUCKED and was BORING. The story wasn't interesting, the characters weren't interesting, nothing worked aside from the action imho.
Old 03-05-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
Yeah, I was sure I would like this movie too, but I just found it to be boring. The action scenes, the gun fights, the wacky dialog -- none of it came together for me.
Old 03-05-08, 03:34 PM

Shoot 'Em Up is fun as hell. Also very rewatchable due to all the outstanding action sequences.
Old 03-05-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Shoot 'Em Up had one thing and one thing only going for it: cool action scenes.

Whenever there wasn't action on screen, the movie flat out SUCKED and was BORING. The story wasn't interesting, the characters weren't interesting, nothing worked aside from the action imho.
Fortunately that's only about 10 minutes of footage.
Old 03-06-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Shoot Em Up.

Smokin' Aces tried too hard.
Old 03-06-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Smokin' Aces tried too hard.
That's a good way to put it. It's good but it tried too hard to be a Pulp Fiction or Snatch instead of just focusing on the camp that it was.
Old 03-06-08, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Terrible movie but I have a hell of a good time when I watch it

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.