Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that would be GREAT, if not for one thing...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that would be GREAT, if not for one thing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Really? I thought it was one of the best animated films outside of Pixar
yep...

obviously aimed at 3D...

but very good...
Old 03-02-08, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
amen! i still can't understand the controversy with the ending.
Would anyone care to enlighten me as to what the ending was supposed to signify/teach/inspire/reveal/whatever? In spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it yet, of course. I loved it, until the final scene...and then, I was thinking, "You've got to be fucking kidding me?!?" I would've thought much more highly of this film had the prior scene (with the boys on bikes) been the final scene.
Old 03-02-08, 06:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Would anyone care to enlighten me as to what the ending was supposed to signify/teach/inspire/reveal/whatever? In spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it yet, of course. I loved it, until the final scene...and then, I was thinking, "You've got to be fucking kidding me?!?" I would've thought much more highly of this film had the prior scene (with the boys on bikes) been the final scene.
Spoiler:
I could be wrong, but to me the dream signified that he feels out of place in the world, a world he doesn't understand, that's "cold and dark" (he probably felt defeated by not being able to protect Moss in time, or if he had gotten there his fate would've been the same, or that he's no match for Chigurh), and wanted to be somewhere warm and comforting, where his father was, who was waiting for him...and then he woke up, and appears disappointed that he did.
Old 03-02-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AI, but for the last 10 minutes.
Old 03-02-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, these will probably earn me a virtual knee in the groin, but...

I love Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but to me the ending just screams 'We ran out of ideas!'.

The 1980 Flash Gordon would've been brilliant if they'd left out some of the head-palm worthy lines by the two American leads. Or at least gotten an actor to play Flash who had an ounce of charisma.
Old 03-02-08, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

the editing of 'Man On fire' was one of the best things about that films to me...

you have every other director on earth, and every other editor in earth, doing what is essentially 'i'm supposed to expect to be normal editing of a film'... 'this is the way its' done'...

Tony Scott is doing his own thing and it's awesome... i really liked 'Domino' for the same reason...

if you pay attention... and get past 'other people don't do it this way' and 'i'm not used to seeing this'... there is real depth to that work Scott is doing...
See, I like Domino and most of the editing in that film. I think it suits that film and is done much better in Domino than in Man On Fire. The blurry, choppy editing and desaturated look in the film really did ruin the film for me.
Old 03-02-08, 08:00 PM

Bourne Ultimatum and the annoying camera movement all the time for no reason
Old 03-02-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Beowolf-The horrendous Animation.
Contact-"I sat through that entire film to see the aliens and it was her goddamn father!"
Superbad-The presense of Bill Hader ruined the film for me.
Man on Fire-Editing
I think you missed the point of Contact. The movie wasn't even really about the aliens.
Old 03-02-08, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brack
Spoiler:
I could be wrong, but to me the dream signified that he feels out of place in the world, a world he doesn't understand, that's "cold and dark" (he probably felt defeated by not being able to protect Moss in time, or if he had gotten there his fate would've been the same, or that he's no match for Chigurh), and wanted to be somewhere warm and comforting, where his father was, who was waiting for him...and then he woke up, and appears disappointed that he did.
Wow. Now I REALLY think it would be great without that part. In fact TLJ's character was the most boring thing about this movie. I could've enjoyed this more without his whiny downbeat old man. Oh, and I guess that's where the title comes from, eh? How clever. By all rights, it should be called "No World For Old Men."
Old 03-02-08, 08:43 PM
Banned

^I thought the tommy Lee Jones character worked really well in the novel. However I don't think it worked in the film. Same with the ending. I couldn't even understand most of what Jones was mumbling in the film for some reason.
There were parts of the film though that worked better than in the book so I guess it balances out almost.
Old 03-02-08, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by eiker_ir
Bourne Ultimatum and the annoying camera movement all the time for no reason
The reason was to put the viewer into the action.I think it worked exceptionally well.I didn't find it annoying at all.
Old 03-02-08, 09:31 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Wow. Now I REALLY think it would be great without that part. In fact TLJ's character was the most boring thing about this movie. I could've enjoyed this more without his whiny downbeat old man. Oh, and I guess that's where the title comes from, eh? How clever. By all rights, it should be called "No World For Old Men."
I don't get this attitude, but hey, to each their own I suppose.

I believe Chigurh is the main character anyhow, because everyone in the movie is affected by him.

Last edited by Brack; 03-02-08 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Remove Julia Roberts from any movie she is in and it has to be better...?
Take out her ridiculous role in Ocean's Twelve and it would of been a far better movie.

I think A.I. would of been better with the last 20 minutes or so removed.
Old 03-02-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastyear
The reason was to put the viewer into the action.I think it worked exceptionally well.I didn't find it annoying at all.
ditto...

that aspect won it the oscar after all...
Old 03-02-08, 10:32 PM

Seraphim Falls

Totally awesome movie untill Anjelica Huston shows up at the end
Old 03-02-08, 11:48 PM

Into the wild could've been an alright movie, but for some reason Sean Penn decided to break the fourth wall for no reason. I couldn't pay attention to the movie after he did that.
Old 03-03-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I HATE the stupid "Time After Time" dance at the end of Romy & Michele's High School Reunion
Old 03-03-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by project86
Into the wild could've been an alright movie, but for some reason Sean Penn decided to break the fourth wall for no reason. I couldn't pay attention to the movie after he did that.
You know that bugged me the first time but I now appreciate it for making Chris more human, he wasn't just some character up on the screne, he was a real man.
Old 03-03-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
AI, but for the last 10 minutes.

Or 20 minutes. First time I saw it, it felt like an old Disney movie. You think its over...Bam more conflict...think its over BAM another scene.
Old 03-03-08, 11:15 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts
The Score has three great performances by three actors who represent the best in naturalistic acting for their generation - Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro, and Edward Norton. Then there's the terrible, unbelievable overacting of Angela Bassett...
Old 03-03-08, 11:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The Score's biggest problem? The tell-all trailer.
Old 03-03-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
The Score's biggest problem? The tell-all trailer.
While that problem still exists, I'm still amazed at just how bad they were in the late 90s and early '00s -- The Score, Arlington Road, What Lies Beneath, etc;
Old 03-03-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We Own The Night, until it fizzles out at the end.

= J
Old 03-03-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
While that problem still exists, I'm still amazed at just how bad they were in the late 90s and early '00s -- The Score, Arlington Road, What Lies Beneath, etc;
you left out the ultimate from the era (possibly all time), Cast Away.
Old 03-03-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I think the movie is already great, Batman Begins would have benefited from an actress with a little more gravitas than Katie Holmes. In the same vein, the X-Men movies could have done with someone other than Halle Berry as Storm. I think both actresses dragged down their movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.