Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that would be GREAT, if not for one thing...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that would be GREAT, if not for one thing...

Old 03-07-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE

I really think the "Space Opera" is a really weak part. Give me the silliness and action please.
Blasphemy!

I'd have to go with the shaky cam in Cloverfield. Any idiot can keep a camera pointed better than that guy...
Old 03-07-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 436 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
Wow are you serious? You really think toy guns are the same as real guns?
Yes, because it sends a mixed message. Makes me wonder what Hogarth shot at with his bb gun.

Hogarth Hughes: Yes. Guns kill.
The Iron Giant: Guns kill.

Originally Posted by tanman
As for Colette's outburst I think it did well to develop her character instead of being some sappy typical love interest. I think they should have went more down that road at least a little bit. And conceding to a rat is not the same as conceding to a man.
Yeah, it's actually worse. Would you rather be upstaged by another human being, or a 4 legged animal? It's shown that even Linguini has no faith in her cooking.

Last edited by devilshalo; 03-07-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-07-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What about movies that would be okay if not for one thing? I can't believe they killed Trinity in the Matrix Revolutions and no one seemed to care. It was anti-climatic.
Old 03-07-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ewoks is #1 for me.

Million Dollar Baby - I really liked that movie but fuck that ending. Everytime I think about watching it again I think twice.

Spiderman 3 - dancing?
Old 03-08-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2........the score! It's beyond irritating and just annoys the hell out of me!

It's a bad organ score and is used throughout the entire film. Try surviving the opening credits without going mad!

Fans try to tell me it's appropriate for the 'circus like atmosphere' of the film. But it still sucks big time and makes it tough to enjoy the film!!!!!!!

That's a big one since it involves the entire film. I'm sure there are other things in other films that move them down a knotch. But I can't remember them at the moment. So a few minor things that annoy me in anotherwise good films are the music choices in the end credits of

All That Jazz and Dawn of the Dead:2004.

I think All That Jazz should have had silent end credits instead of "No Business Like Show Business" blaring loudly throughout the credits. Since it kills the otherwise somber tone of the final shot and leaves no time for it to sink in. Muting the audio on the credits has helped,and it's a big improvement I think.

And Dawn:2004 should have had silent end credits after the last of the video footage was shown instead of "Down with the Sickness" blaring over the speakers. Since it again kills the grim tone that the credit sequence was building towards. As it starts out rocking with a cool song and clips of characters doing whatever,then the music cuts off..and more clips are shown as things become grim with the final clip being downbeat. Before it cuts to black for rest of credits to play. And it should have stayed silent without heavy metal or any score playing. I guess muting helps slightly...but you're still stuck with flash cuts of zombies charging camera to go with the charged up metal music. These flash cuts of zombies should be cut as well as a basic credit scroll and lack of score.
Old 03-08-08, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 298 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by GenPion
I can't believe they killed Trinity in the Matrix Revolutions and no one seemed to care.
That's because everyone was already disappointed how the 2nd movie turned out following the first. By the third, it was
Old 03-08-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me most recently....Rescue Dawn.....Hmmmmm..did Herzog really..'feel the need' to end it in a really crap Top Gun type manner!!!
Old 03-08-08, 05:36 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2........the score! It's beyond irritating and just annoys the hell out of me!
This is much scarier:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VjnwBIJcac"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VjnwBIJcac" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 03-08-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
This is much scarier:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VjnwBIJcac"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VjnwBIJcac" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That's amusing,and works in an over the top way. Heck if they could have worked some of The Cramps or other rock tunes heard earlier in the film into the scene,it may have been pretty cool.

Oh at about 1:30:50 seconds about near the end of the chainsaw duel. There is a good score briefly heard,that is far more cool sounding(using guitars and stuff and sounds badass) and tolerable than the crap synth/organ score Hooper went for!

I'm all for good synth scores and think they can sound awesome. But TCM2s score sounds like cheap amature crap and has always annoyed the hell out of myself.