Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bourne Legacy -- 8/10/12 -- D: Gilroy S: Renner, Weisz, Norton, Allen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Bourne Legacy -- 8/10/12 -- D: Gilroy S: Renner, Weisz, Norton, Allen

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Bourne Legacy -- 8/10/12 -- D: Gilroy S: Renner, Weisz, Norton, Allen

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yeah, see, I thought the action was done better in Supremacy, with more urgency. Albert Finney as Dr. Exposition, PhD was a snooze and a real disappointment coming off of Chris Cooper and Brian Cox from the first two films. Also Julia Stiles is utterly incapable of expression emotion, so the stuff with her was wasted. I don't know, it's not a bad movie but it's a definite step down from the first two.
Haven't seen Legacy yet. I thought Ultimatum felt like a more refined Supremacy, and was much better for it. I also thought Stiles did alright in the Damon flicks. Overall though, I still (greatly) prefer Identity over the sequels, it is the only one of the 3 that felt like a more or less complete movie.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-13-12 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I agree with the others. Ultimatum felt like a more streamlined Supremacy and was better for it. I liked Julia Stiles in it.

So despite the ho-hum reaction to Legacy, did anyone walk out of the theater wanting more? I distinctly remember leaving both Supremacy and Ultimatum just wanting a sequel the next day.
Old 08-13-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Am I the only one who thought Ultimatum was a half-baked rehash of Supremacy? Didn't like that movie much at all.
Although I liked Ultimatum, it pales in comparison to Supremacy. There was a sense of urgency to Supremacy whereas Ultimatum was about tying up loose ends. It also doesn't help that Ultimatum attempted a halfhearted (and half-baked) rehash of the Jason/Marie relationship from Identity, this time with Jason and Nicky.
Old 08-13-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So despite the ho-hum reaction to Legacy, did anyone walk out of the theater wanting more? I distinctly remember leaving both Supremacy and Ultimatum just wanting a sequel the next day.
Not at all. I just wanted to go get a milk shake. After Supremacy I was so pumped I wanted to drive 100 mph like Bourne.
Old 08-13-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Another thing that bothered me was they bring in the super agent guy, and all he does is chase Renner on a bike and falls off of it. No epic fight scene. Ugh.
My daughter wondered why, if they were killing all the agents, why wasn't he also targeted?

Overall I'd say it was the weakest in the series but it was an enjoyable 2 hours. I give it a C+
Old 08-15-12, 03:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

close to two and half hours that felt like four

no rhythm or overall tone

a truly mind numbing dumb end chase scene that looked like it would have fit in a Terminator movie..

a great cast wasted on a really weak inconsistent script

ugh... I can't figure out which I felt more ripped off of, my 8 bucks or my time.
Old 08-17-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I enjoyed it however I wanted to see some hand to hand combat with that super assassin guy, not have him get taken out by a pillar. And I honestly thought that scene on the boat was them planning their next course of action and we'd get more action, had no idea the movie was over.
Old 08-17-12, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I enjoyed it however I wanted to see some hand to hand combat with that super assassin guy, not have him get taken out by a pillar. And I honestly thought that scene on the boat was them planning their next course of action and we'd get more action, had no idea the movie was over.

I honestly thought the scriptwriters just gave up at the point and couldn't come up with any resolute ending and just threw in the towel.
Old 08-17-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

That's gotta be it. No reaction from the people monitoring him who are just left dangling...this was the most abrupt ending to a movie since Crocodile Hunter Collision Course.
Old 08-18-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The Bourne Legacy fell 62 percent to an estimated $5.3 million. That's a steeper Friday-to-Friday decline than any of the previous Bourne movies (even 2007's The Bourne Ultimatum, which was coming off a huge opening weekend), and suggests that word-of-mouth isn't all that strong here. Through eight days, the reboot/spin-off has earned $57.9 million, and Universal is forecasting a weekend gross just under $17 million.
No shit.
Old 08-18-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I went to see this this afternoon because Dark Knight Rises was sold out. After the movie let out, we saw the line for the box office was short. So we did something we never do, and we saw Dark Knight Rises (for the second time). Really does blow this movie away.

What the first ones featured with Damon and the action and the intrigue, it was all gone. Yes, we get it. Treadstone is bad, the government wants those operatives dead, but the operatives want to live. It would have been much more interesting, IMO, if Weisz was the real bad ass that they were after...
Old 08-19-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Funny story...I went to see Expendables 2 and the projector broke during the previews...so we got allowed to see any other film playing (plus a pass to come back for any future film) and I chose THE BORNE LEGACY...which probably should have been titled either THE BORED LEGACY or THE BORNE DEPENDENCY. Really? Two-plus hours on a guy looking for his drug fix? The first hour of this film is a snooze...by the time the action (and I use that term lightly) begins, I didn't care any more. You'd think with the absence of Damon, they would have upped the action quotient, but they seem to have gone in the opposite direction.

C-minus or 2 out of 4 stars from me.
Old 08-20-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Caught this tonight and i'll pretty much echo everyone else's reviews... ultimately boring and unnecessary, and doesn't do anything to advance the Treadstone/Blackbriar stuff at all.

Instead it just introduces other government programs without any mystery to them, and thus it results in an incredibly uninteresting plot of the US wanting to kill Aaron Cross just to cover themselves, and Aaron just wanting to live. None of the intrigue about Treadstone is here, and it's sillier that the lines used in the trailers regarding "Treadstone without the inconsistency" doesn't even apply to Cross so he isn't treated as some sort of super-Bourne like I thought he was going to be.

Really disappointing, since it seems like Tony Gilroy who wrote the entire series would have something far more interesting here and really could have set up a potential Cross/Bourne meeting later on, but failed.
Old 08-20-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's been a long time since I saw Bourne Identity, but didn't the end to this one kind of reflect the end to the original? I thought of it a lot as a poor reboot/remake with a different character and a slightly different story. With BI, at least there was some intrigue and some intense action. The whole time in this one, I thought, "Bourne would kill this guy".

Also, why put the tracker in the wolf? Why not just leave it in the snow? We knew the wolf wasn't going to kill the star, and I thought that bit was just silly. I guess the only redeeming moment for me was the fact that Weisz was the one who took out the LARX agent instead of Cross himself.
Old 08-20-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
Also, why put the tracker in the wolf? Why not just leave it in the snow? We knew the wolf wasn't going to kill the star, and I thought that bit was just silly. I guess the only redeeming moment for me was the fact that Weisz was the one who took out the LARX agent instead of Cross himself.
Because they were tracking him
By movement and heat signature. Snow doesn't give off heat Or move
Old 08-20-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also i would give this movie about a c grade. The chase scene was long, the way the main villain dies was anti-climatic and the ending was abrupt. They ended it like they are assuming another movie gets made
Old 08-20-12, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Also i would give this movie about a c grade. The chase scene was long, the way the main villain dies was anti-climatic and the ending was abrupt. They ended it like they are assuming another movie gets made
hopefully never.
Old 08-20-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fair enough. I thought it was just a tracker. Must have missed that part. Thanks.
Old 08-23-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm curious to see this, it seems to have a lot of comparison to the first movie (Identity) which seems to be the least liked in the franchise though it's my personal favorite.
This is the overall feeling I got when I walked out of this. Compared to the first movie, it was still pretty good (although the weakest in the franchise). The problem is that Supremacy and Ultimatum are one of the best back-to-back action films of the last few decades.

Originally Posted by RichC2
Some people are a little too dependent on it, as on RT a movie is either Fresh or Rotten.
I moved on to Metacritic years ago and never looked back. RT lets anyone put in reviews. (Not users, just Joe Bloggers).

Originally Posted by stingermck
Another thing that bothered me was... No epic fight scene. Ugh.
This to me was really missing. I was wondering how the fight scene would turn out as the physicality of the super-agent was really interesting.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I guess the majority of this forum is in no rush to see this movie now huh?

Very few comments for such a high profile summer action film. I guess reading that the movie is mediocre to a disappointment killed some of the interest.
This was me a few weeks ago. I decided to see it because the reviews here were decent.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The Bourne Ultimatum is so damn good.
The cookbook fight!

Originally Posted by JimRochester
My daughter wondered why, if they were killing all the agents, why wasn't he also targeted?
They were targeting Treadstone agents (Bourne), as well as Outcome (Renner). Treadstone was inconsistent, and Outcome had emotional issues. The LARX program had been running well. It's funny that after all that happened, the nerds sitting with Norton were the ones who had the big picture view of what was happening.

Originally Posted by reubs82
The whole time in this one, I thought, "Bourne would kill this guy"... I guess the only redeeming moment for me was the fact that Weisz was the one who took out the LARX agent instead of Cross himself.
There was much less action in this one. All Renner's character did was fight some wolves, take down a few people in a house in Maryland, and some beat cops in Manila. For all the talk about changed genetics, he was hardly superhuman. Shit, the guy in the lab had more kills.

Agree with you on Weisz's scene.

I thought it was also reading biodata, but I might be wrong. I thought he was going to launch it off that tree where he set the trap.
Old 09-07-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered why he didn't just shoot the wolf and stick the tracker in its body instead or wrestling with it.

I thought the house scene was absolutely awesome. The score was absolutely boring and forgettable compared to past Bourne films. The actions scenes (besides the final chase and house scene) were just too short and far between. The CIA/government stuff was terrible and boring as hell. I also thought the Pam Landy stuff was like a "fuck you" to the original series.

I loved Identity, loved Supremacy, thought Ultimatum was overrated, and didn't like Legacy.

5/10.
Old 12-11-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based on the reviews here. It's clearly nowhere close to the quality of the 3 Bourne films, but it's OK. Renner doesn't quite sell the black ops assassin as well as Matt Damon does, but I'd love to see a team up of the two characters.

Yes it's too long and there's too much dialogue and not enough action...the plot is also the least intriguing of the 4 movies. But I saw the potential. Some story editing and this could have been great.

Not sure I'll add this to my personal collection, but I'll watch another Aaron Cross movie should Matt Damon continue to sit on the sidelines (which I don't expect at all. I definitely think Matt Damon will be back in the next film in this franchise).

Grade: C+
Old 01-16-13, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I quite liked this in spite of the fact that it wasn't anything new or original.
Old 02-17-14, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal planning Bourne Legacy Sequel Starring Jeremy Renner

I've been watching this movie on Starz, it's been like almost an hour and literally nothing is happening, he's in the moutains some wolves.