Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony buys Emmerich's '2012'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sony buys Emmerich's '2012'

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Sony buys Emmerich's '2012'

Well....I don't think so. The Road MIGHT be part of that group but....that's if you bend some of those rules things.
Old 10-19-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Has there ever been an "end-of-the-world/natural disaster" movie that was rated R? I can't think of one of them as being gory or showing massive sickening deaths, since they all seem to be rated PG-13.
Most violent movie ever!

Natural Born Killers got nothing on this movie.
Old 10-20-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For a second I was like "I thought Perfect Storm was good" but then realized I am mixing up my German directors.
Old 11-06-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Errr...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/2012/

Old 11-06-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ That'll sink like the CA coast in this movie once we get a higher # of reviews, but the critics seem to echo the same sentiment: it's big, dumb and tons of fun.

I'm ashamed to admit I want to see it. Though this won't be in the same league (well, maybe), I love all the old Irwin Allen "major destruction" flicks of the 70's and this looks like it'll have lots of cool shit to see.
Old 11-06-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like this line...

Emmerich supposedly spent $260m to give you the biggest experience for your ticket dollar and in this regard, he has succeeded tremendously, while, intentionally or otherwise, also delivering one of 2009's best comedies.
I know it's going to be horrible and crap, that goes without saying. I just hope that it's stupid enough to actually be a great unintentional comedy.
Old 11-06-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since 2012 is the third film in the trilogy, I really doubt that it's going to be better than 2001 and 2010.
Old 11-06-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm ashamed to admit I want to see it. Though this won't be in the same league (well, maybe), I love all the old Irwin Allen "major destruction" flicks of the 70's and this looks like it'll have lots of cool shit to see.
Same here, not expecting much but I need to get my yearly fill of seeing a movie with tons of stuff being blown up and destroyed. As long as it can do that and keep my interest, I'll be happy with it.
Old 11-06-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The first teaser for this movie made me roll my eyes and I wasn't looking forward to it at all. Every trailer and clip package has gotten better and better to the point where i'll be seeing it opening weekend.
Old 11-08-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know it's going to be a crap movie, but I'm going to be there in the theater anyway!
Old 11-08-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

im still gonna watch it... just for the special effects and the noise
Old 11-08-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Can't say that I'm hyped up about seeing this. But it's something that I MUST see on the big screen.
Old 11-11-09, 09:06 AM

Saw a free screeing last night thanks to a local radio station. I actually think its my favorite Emmerich movie, not to say it was great. The effects are, at times, stunning. Especially the Los Angeles destruction scenes which have a mindboggling amount of detail going on. It certainly has its fair share of eye-rolling dialogue (example "I think we're splitting away from each other", cue grocery store splitting in two between couple). A lot of what make this movie work is that actors like John Cusack and Chiwetel Ejiofor are very likable and can sell the ridculousness around them. Its about 2 1/2 hours long, which is a bit much. Theres a ton of subplots, whereas I would have preferred a Spielberg's War of the Worlds style everything from the perspective of Cusack streamlining. Overall, if you think you're going to hate this movie, you probably will. For me, it delivered what I hoped, not much more. but still very watchable.
Old 02-26-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Lawyer: Studio must pay for destroying Jesus Christ
By Matthew Belloni

With apologies to the Coen brothers, Columbia Pictures is learning the hard way not to f--- with the Jesus.

A lawyer for Brazil's Catholic Church has gone public with a dispute over the destruction of Rio de Janeiro's famous Christ the Redeemer statute in November's global hit "2012." Seems the church didn't enjoy the scene as much as we did, prompting archdiocese attorney Claudine Dutra to tell the AFP that Columbia didn't get a proper copyright license to depict the country's most famous statue.

Brazil uses a variation on U.S. copyright law, granting copyright in the author of a work until his death, then to his estate or heirs for another 70 years. Christ the Redeemer was created in 1931 by French artist Paul Landowski on commission from the Rio archdiocese. Landowski died in 1961, and the archdiocese says it holds copyright until 2032.

At least that's the church's argument. Dutra told the AFP that it controls the statue but approves "99 percent" of usage requests. She said the church turned down Columbia's pitch because the plan was to show the Redeemer being toppled by a giant wave.

Columbia, on the other hand, tells us it did get a license, just not from the church.

"Acting on a good faith belief that the estate of the sculptor of the statue held the copyright, we sought and received their permission to use the image in the movie," a studio rep told us. "We are currently in discussions with the archdiocese in hopes of reaching an agreement in this matter."

An entity called the Artists Rights Society represents the Landowski estate. If ARS told Columbia that it was the proper licensee (and not the Archdiocese), that would complicate this matter further. It also might explain why the church's lawyer has done a lot of talking but hasn't actually filed any lawsuit against the studio.

Negotiations have apparently been going on since December. The church says it is still trying to figure out its damages, which will depend on an expert's evaluation. But despite the tough talk, the Catholics might just be waiting for a bit of confession.

"We want Columbia Pictures to publicly declare that it did not intend to cause offense," Dutra said.