DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Unintentionally Scary Family Movies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/525680-unintentionally-scary-family-movies.html)

Breton 02-20-08 01:03 PM

Unintentionally Scary Family Movies

The mention of "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" reminded me of the fact there are old movies that were intended for the family audience, or kids themselves, that were a least a little creepy or frightening (including "Limpet") without intending to be. Family movies made in the '60s, in particular, tend to sometimes be creepy. I've made a list of some old ones that I watched on TV (and still pop up on places like TCM) as a kid that scared me:

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T
7 Faces of Dr. Lao
The Incredible Mr. Limpet
The Phantom Tollbooth
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
The Boy With Green Hair

Any other examples?

BullGooseLoony 02-20-08 01:12 PM

The red bull from The Last Unicorn used to scare the crap out of me.

yecul 02-20-08 01:12 PM

"Large Marge" from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure comes to mind.

The Infidel 02-20-08 01:15 PM

What the heck is creepy or frightening about "The Incredible Mr. Limpet"?

Breton 02-20-08 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
What the heck is creepy or frightening about "The Incredible Mr. Limpet"?

Don Knotts? I think it was the animated fish version of him that was really creepy, and the part where he falls in love with another fish (while still having a human wife).

visitor Q 02-20-08 01:35 PM

This might be a leap, but if parents aren't careful I would think that they could take Pan's Labyrinth as a mythical fairy tale and forever scar their kids.

The Infidel 02-20-08 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
This might be a leap, but if parents aren't careful I would think that they could take Pan's Labyrinth as a mythical fairy tale and forever scar their kids.

Yeah, the scene where he bashed the guy's face apart pretty much made me realize I had totally misinterpreted the trailer as being a family fantasy movie.

Groucho 02-20-08 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q

Ditto Bridge to Terabithia.

NiCK Crush 02-20-08 01:44 PM

Return to Oz definitely could be too much for a kid to handle.

-NiCK

IDrinkMolson 02-20-08 01:56 PM

The child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang still sends chills down my spine whenever I watch it.

clappj 02-20-08 02:01 PM

Never seen it, but I heard The Polar Express was kinda creepy.

riotinmyskull 02-20-08 02:04 PM

the neverending story (gmork specifically)
secret of nimh
dark crystal
labyrinth

ToddSm66 02-20-08 02:10 PM

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...the boat ride is just freaky.

Ranger 02-20-08 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ToddSm66

Yes! The whole place was freaky.

MartinBlank 02-20-08 02:52 PM

Watership Down

aJOHNymous 02-20-08 03:02 PM

The Peanut Butter Solution

sauce07 02-20-08 03:08 PM

Flying Monkeys!!!

Giles 02-20-08 03:08 PM

The Great Yokai War

Dave7393 02-20-08 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Breton
Darby O'Gill and the Little People

The Banshee gave me one of the worst nightmares I ever had as a kid. That movie is tops on my list for this discussion.

Dr Mabuse 02-20-08 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
The child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang still sends chills down my spine whenever I watch it.

damn straight...

that was the one that leapt to mind when i saw this thread...

DeputyDave 02-20-08 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dave7393
The Banshee gave me one of the worst nightmares I ever had as a kid. That movie is tops on my list for this discussion.

:up: ditto, but I still loved it.

Mondo Kane 02-20-08 03:57 PM

Didn't Darby O'Gill have a headless horseman in it too?

domino harvey 02-20-08 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jpoppe

This is the correct answer

JackBurton 02-20-08 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by jpoppe

Wow, haven't seen or heard of that one in years. Its not available on dvd is it?

Brack 02-20-08 04:25 PM

Leprechaun. Warwick Davis was in all these family films in the 80s that aren't scary, and then he stars in this. I don't get how any little kid wouldn't be scared of him in this movie.

bunkaroo 02-20-08 04:35 PM

Disney's The Black Hole is a pretty dark film for them. Maximillian definitely freaked me out a bit as a kid.

Numanoid 02-20-08 04:57 PM

Most of the characters you guys are listing are quite intentionally scary.

OldBoy 02-20-08 05:12 PM

while i didn't think it particularly scary, i could see kids getting a little creeped out by "Monster House". some of the imagery was kinda over-the-top for a kids aimed film.

Premise 02-20-08 05:17 PM

Something wicked this way comes. I also thought,while not scary, The Little Princess and The Secret Garden had a lot of tension in them for kids films.

redcon1 02-20-08 05:49 PM

Although I was in my twenties when Gremlins came out, I could see how that may have freaked out some little kids.
Not to mention parents freaking out when Phoebe Cates explained what happened to Santa.

DaveCole 02-20-08 06:33 PM

While it didn't really scare me, I did have a dream I was in hell when I was 11 and it looked like the roof top scene from Mary Poppins.

Ghostface180 02-20-08 08:56 PM

The opening bedtime story scene in The Witches always used to scare me. The whole thing with the little girl disappearing and then showing up in a painting freaked me out.

Breton 02-20-08 11:03 PM

I found some clips of "5,000 Fingers of Dr. T" on YouTube. Wow, it was way weirder than I even remembered it. Scary, and maybe a little ahead of its time (the only full-length movie written by Dr. Suess). Maybe Tim Burton should remake it? And it's partly a musical, too, which I didn't remember.

ukywyldcat 02-20-08 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by ToddSm66

The man in the candy store is creepy, and the looks he gives the children.

mike45 02-20-08 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dave7393

Agreed. I saw Darby O'Gill and the Little People at a Drive-In theater with my family as a kid. The Banshee on the huge screen had me and my brother and sister hidng behind the seats. I can still remember it vividly.

RagingBull80 02-21-08 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by redcon1
Although I was in my twenties when Gremlins came out, I could see how that may have freaked out some little kids.
Not to mention parents freaking out when Phoebe Cates explained what happened to Santa.

I always found the Santa thing creepy as hell.

UAIOE 02-21-08 05:26 AM

I don't remember catching the Santa thing as a kid. Seeing it as an adult made me wonder how I missed it.

There is an entire generation of people who will freak at the mention of the name "Large Marge".

Kevin Phillips 02-21-08 06:31 AM

Another vote for Willy Wonka. Not just the boat ride. The oompa-loompas are pretty scary looking. Also every time something happens to one of the kids where they're in mortal peril: Augustus getting sucked up the tube that goes to the boiler, Violet about to explode, etc.

zombiezilla 02-21-08 07:17 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". It's the one film that caused the ratings board to create the PG-13 rating! It was PG on it's initial release, and many parents were pissed off at the violence/gore/weird stuff.

zombiezilla 02-21-08 07:19 AM

....but, then again, the title of this thread is "UNINTENTIONALLY" scary family movies. My bad.