DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Who had the better year - Casey Affleck or Josh Brolin? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/525352-who-had-better-year-casey-affleck-josh-brolin.html)

PopcornTreeCt 02-16-08 02:17 PM

Who had the better year - Casey Affleck or Josh Brolin?

Casey Affleck made us sit up and take notice that he's a a hell of an actor with two great performances in two great films. We learned that some members of the Affleck family can actually act.

Josh Brolin appeared out of nowhere with unforgettable performances in Planet Terror, No Country for Old Men and American Gangster.

Arpeggi 02-16-08 02:24 PM

And this is in HD Talk, why?

Gizmo 02-16-08 02:29 PM

Bob Saget clearly had the better year.

PopcornTreeCt 02-16-08 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
And this is in HD Talk, why?

Sorry about that. I thought I was posting in the Movie Forum. Mods, please move. My bad.

Rockmjd23 02-16-08 02:35 PM

Maybe he means who looked better in HD?

Coral 02-16-08 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Josh Brolin appeared out of nowhere with unforgettable performances in Planet Terror, No Country for Old Men and American Gangster.

Unforgettable performances? What made them unforgettable?

He was good in NCFOM, but was simply passable in Planet Terror and Amercian Gangster. You also forgot In The Valley of Elah, in which he was only passable as well.

MartinBlank 02-16-08 05:07 PM

I had to go with Brolin, I've seen "No Country", "Planet Terror" , and "American Ganster". I watched "Gone Baby Gone" the other night, great flick. Aside from that, the only things I've seen Affleck in are "Ocean's 11" and "Chasing Amy" and those don't count for this year.

Geofferson 02-16-08 05:09 PM

Slight nod to Affleck, imo. I have not seen American Gangster yet, but Affleck's performances in both Gone Baby Gone and Jesse James... are stellar.

Mr. Cinema 02-16-08 05:12 PM

I went with Brolin. It's good to finally see him get some press.

Brack 02-16-08 05:25 PM

it all depends on what is considered "better." Casey Affleck is getting more recognition for his performance in "Jesse James."

PopcornTreeCt 02-16-08 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
Unforgettable performances? What made them unforgettable?

He was good in NCFOM, but was simply passable in Planet Terror and Amercian Gangster. You also forgot In The Valley of Elah, in which he was only passable as well.

Well, just going from my own opinion. He's the only thing I remember from the forgettable Planet Terror. I thought he did better in American Gangster than both Crowe and Washington did. I didn't forget about In the Valley of Elah, I agree with you there, he was passable in that one.

islandclaws 02-16-08 06:01 PM

Brolin. He was in more movies that I thought kicked ass. Grindhouse and No Country were two of the best of the year for me, and he was great in both.

amplified 02-16-08 07:37 PM

Although Brolin had a strong year, I would have to go with Casey Affleck

Sparrow 02-16-08 08:35 PM

Brolin, it has been a great year for him. Affleck still annoys me quite a bit, but I have to hand it to him, he showed me he has some ability this year and the Academy would say that he has great ability.

I've liked Brolin since I saw him in one of my guilty pleasures, Hollow Man ;).

movieking 02-16-08 08:46 PM

I was disappointed with Assassination, but would rate Gone Baby Gone as the best movie of the year. All of Brolin's roles were supporting, so I would have to go with CA.

Zen Peckinpah 02-16-08 08:48 PM

Josh Brolin is the fucking man. They should cast him in every movie.

RagingBull80 02-16-08 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Josh Brolin is the fucking man. They should cast him in every movie.

Agreed.

Patman 02-16-08 11:48 PM

Considering Brolin gets to go home and bang Diane Lane, he's having the better year, any year.

hardercore 02-17-08 12:07 AM

Philip Seymour Hoffman had the better year. Also Christian Bale.

geicos27 02-17-08 12:13 AM

I say Affleck. After all, he got an Oscar nom.

Brack 02-17-08 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Considering Brolin gets to go home and bang Diane Lane, he's having the better year, any year.

QFT

IIG 02-18-08 10:31 PM

Great poll, and a very tough decision... I'm going with Brolin though.

JPRaup 02-18-08 10:36 PM

Affleck

GoldenJCJ 02-18-08 10:40 PM

But he also has to call Barbra Streisand "Mom"

I thought Lane was married to Highlander...guess I'm out of the loop.

Zen Peckinpah 02-18-08 10:40 PM

Diane Lane is not only extremely hot and the greatest MILF of the past decade, but she also has really awesome taste in men. Her first husband and father of her daughter is Connor MacLeod, for fuck's sake...Christopher F'N Lambert! And the kid's stepdad is Josh Brolin (who she married), which only kicks more ass. What I'm getting to is this: Diane Lane's daughter is her immortal reincarnation. There can only be one!

And not to sound sick, but am I the only one who would pay money for a Brolin/Lane sex tape?