Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who liked the Star Wars prequels?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Am I the only one who liked the Star Wars prequels?

Old 02-28-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyM
and Anakin's WWE-style instant heel turn)

I have been trying to sum up the awful turn scene for 3 years, and you nailed it!
Old 02-28-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
... Episode 3 I really liked but it has way too many talky parts.

This is exactly what my mother said, basically "More talking? Good lord, this is the worst one yet."
Old 02-28-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I liked Natalie Portmans stomach in Attack Of The Clones but that was about it.
Old 02-28-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
I liked Natalie Portmans stomach in Attack Of The Clones but that was about it.
You needed to move your eyes up about six inches.
Old 02-28-08, 01:44 PM

No Message
Old 02-28-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You needed to move your eyes up about six inches.
Yes, she did get a bit nipply sitting in the royal ship on Tattooine didn't she.
Old 02-29-08, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many people say Jar-Jar was annoying and that ruined Phantom Menace for them. I agree that he was annoying, but I don't think he's the reason Phantom Menace sucked.

Jar-Jar was no more annoying than C3P0 in any of the other Star Wars movies, was he?

As for the topic of this thread, I agree with the original poster. I hated Phantom Menace but enjoyed the next two.
Old 02-29-08, 12:47 PM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
actually Jar-Jar was a good character. the problem was that they really gave him nothing much to do, and when they did it wasn't that funny. I guess the idea of him wasn't bad, just the execution. He seemed very out of place, and not in a good way.
Old 02-29-08, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Boy

Jar-Jar was no more annoying than C3P0 in any of the other Star Wars movies, was he?
C3PO and R2 always played off of each other in the OT movies, and that is why their humor worked well together, they were sort of like Laurel & Hardy. Jar Jar was just bad and totally unfunny as his humor was forced to the point that he ruins each scene, cause he is made for a 5 year old to laugh at. Trust me, my 5 year old nephews loved him, and when they hit 9-10 years old, they couldn't stand him. I admit Jar Jar doesn't ruin TPM, but he doesn't help it either.

Here is the difference between OT Lucas and PT Lucas. In ANH, when Luke is about to ask ObiWan about his father, C3PO asked if he could shut down, and the whole scene where ObiWan talks about Darth Vader murdering his father, and killing Jedi is a great scene, cause C3PO doesn't say anything as it has that mythic quality to it. Then in TPM, when Padme first meets Anakin, in what should have been an iconic scene of 2 people that will change the galaxy for their good and bad choices, he has Jar Jar in the backround doing the Three Stooges routine totally ruining the scene! Watch both scenes again, and let me know what you think.

Last edited by coli; 02-29-08 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by coli
C3PO and R2 always played off of each other in the OT movies, and that is why their humor worked well together, they were sort of like Laurel & Hardy. Jar Jar was just bad and totally unfunny as his humor was forced to the point that he ruins each scene, cause he is made for a 5 year old to laugh at. Trust me, my 5 year old nephews loved him, and when they hit 9-10 years old, they couldn't stand him. I admit Jar Jar doesn't ruin TPM, but he doesn't help it either.

Here is the difference between OT Lucas and PT Lucas. In ANH, when Luke is about to ask ObiWan about his father, C3PO asked if he could shut down, and the whole scene where ObiWan talks about Darth Vader murdering his father, and killing Jedi is a great scene, cause C3PO doesn't say anything as it has that mythic quality to it. Then in TPM, when Padme first meets Anakin, in what should have been an iconic scene of 2 people that will change the galaxy for their good and bad choices, he has Jar Jar in the backround doing the Three Stooges routine totally ruining the scene! Watch both scenes again, and let me know what you think.
LMAO. Good point!
Old 02-29-08, 09:43 PM

You guys will probably get a kick out of this. Someone made a "No Easy Way Out" montage (just like in Rocky IV) but for Darth Vader. At first I thought it was a joke when the song started playing, but it's actually done really well! Give it a look.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zee1OALy12I&feature=related
Old 03-01-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its time to re-watch the prequels. I don't think I've sat through Episode I since right before Episode II came out.
Old 03-01-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by BobSchlapowitz
You guys will probably get a kick out of this. Someone made a "No Easy Way Out" montage (just like in Rocky IV) but for Darth Vader. At first I thought it was a joke when the song started playing, but it's actually done really well! Give it a look.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zee1OALy12I&feature=related

That's a pretty awesome little piece of work there. Yours?

I think it drives home a good point though: Anakin's turn in ROTS isn't any more "out of the blue" than Vader's turn in ROTJ. In the original trilogy, we don't start to get an idea of him having second thoughts until the end of TESB when he doesn't choke the Star Destroyer commander for losing the Falcon. In the prequel trilogy, we start to see things go bad as early as the end of Act 1 of TPM when he has to leave his mother behind.

I'll admit that Hayden's performance could have been better and would have sold it better. Whoever was in the suit at that point in ROTJ (Shaw or Anderson) was able to do a lot with just body language.
Old 03-01-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Boy
YES HE WAS!!! I never found C3PO to be annoying in any of the movies, but Jar Jar's stupidity combined with that irritating voice was like fingernails across a chalkboard everytime he talked. He is the single most annoying character in any film I have ever seen. I think the only possible way they could've made him any more annoying is if they had Fran Drescher do the voice, but even that would've been only a marginally more annoying change given how astonishingly bad Ahmed Best's Jar Jar voice already was.
Old 03-01-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
YES HE WAS!!! I never found C3PO to be annoying in any of the movies, but Jar Jar's stupidity combined with that irritating voice was like fingernails across a chalkboard everytime he talked. He is the single most annoying character in any film I have ever seen. I think the only possible way they could've made him any more annoying is if they had Fran Drescher do the voice, but even that would've been only a marginally more annoying change given how astonishingly bad Ahmed Best's Jar Jar voice already was.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-02-08, 02:34 AM

I really think that people's expectations have changed. I remember my initial reactions (as well as my friends') to each of the movies in the original trilogy.

In A New Hope, we found the droids stupid and we mocked the stormtroopers in their plastic armor.

In Empire, Lando completely sucked (especially since he couldn't pronounce Han's name correctly) and the Yoda scenes were way too long and boring.

In Return of the Jedi, Jabba's Palace (or the Muppet Show) sucked, Chewy doing the Tarzan yell sucked, the Ewoks sucked, and the Emperor was so over the top it was hilarious.

But we still thought these were the best movies EVER. We could look past the flaws.

Sure, Jar Jar sucks, as well as the romantic scenes between Padme and Anakin. The lame droid humor (Roger, Roger) sucks too. The Emperor is way over the top in Revenge of the Sith. And Vader's Nooooooooo! sucks too.

But I can still enjoy the Prequels for the same reason I enjoy the originals: They are fun.
Old 03-04-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Man, the Yoda scenes in Empire are probably my favorite scenes in the entire "saga."
Old 03-05-08, 05:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Phantom Menace was meh...but I loved Attack of the Clones & Revenge of the Sith. Am I the only one alive? I feel that way sometimes.
I hated them especially the first. And the bigger problem is that the entire arc was off. If the 6 movies are to be about the redemption of Anakin, then there needs to be some reason FOR a redemption of his character. But we are never shown that. What merits redemption in Anakin? The only positive thing we really see about him is that he is a good pilot...and fights bravely in the clone wars. But he is never shown as a good person. He is insolent, sulking, and ambitious. He does not help people or save them. There is nothing to redeem. And the trilogy failing in that aspect also fails.

Also the way Palpatine was portrayed was ridiculous.
Old 03-05-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
So I did rewatch ROTS on my new tv last wknd...and I have to say I did enjoy it nearly all the way thru. I think part of that has to do with the "well we're stuck with em now so we might as well enjoy them" mindset. I do think I laughed at more unintentional funny moments than ones that were intended... "good relations with the Wookies I have" just kills me every time!

But than I popped in Ep4 for a bit right after.... what a difference. Doesn't even look close to the prequel trilogy... sorry I'm not buying the "well it's supposed to look run-down and old" argument. The shots and camera movement should've been much more restrained in the prequels... and seriously just about every other scene is either sunrise or sunset... too much color saturation going on...

Another issue i had with the prequels is that there's just too much cutting back and forth... taking off here...landing there...etc.. Either cut some of those, or let more scenes finish instead of chopping them up.

Last edited by Artman; 03-05-08 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd

Also the way Palpatine was portrayed was ridiculous.
Why, whatever do you mean?

Old 03-06-08, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
And the bigger problem is that the entire arc was off. If the 6 movies are to be about the redemption of Anakin, then there needs to be some reason FOR a redemption of his character. But we are never shown that. What merits redemption in Anakin? The only positive thing we really see about him is that he is a good pilot...and fights bravely in the clone wars. But he is never shown as a good person. He is insolent, sulking, and ambitious. He does not help people or save them. There is nothing to redeem. And the trilogy failing in that aspect also fails.

This is a huge problem now when you try to watch the films 1-6 in the story Lucas is trying to tell, why would anyone care about the Anakin character? I tried to watch the movies in that context, and I honestly didn't really care after the 6 films about Anakin and his story, and I got really creeped out after seeing Hayden standing there as a force ghost in the final scene in ROTJ after he choked his wife and unintentionally killed her, and slaughtered a bunch of jedi children? The worst part about it is Luke is smiling at his father, and nobody told him his father was the one who sort of killed his mom! You have to ask yourself, what is the moral of this story?

The reason the OT worked, 4-6, is because Vader was the antagonist, as Luke was the protagonist, so you watch the movies in context of Lukes story, it is a good story with a good message about friends and loyalty, and the fathers redemption was just a subplot, but not the MAIN plot. The story of Anakin as told in the movies 1-6 just doesn't sit well with me when I watch it.
Old 03-06-08, 06:03 AM
Banned by request

I would say the moral of Anakin's story is that it's never too late to change. Just because he did all those horrible things doesn't mean that he can't do good when it counts. Anakin was brash, young, and in love in the PT. In the OT he's older, more self reflective. Is he the antagonist? Absolutely. But there's something in him that convinces him to side with his son over his master. That ties back in to the moral of Luke's story, which is to have faith in yourself and the people you hold dear. Luke had faith in Anakin, and Anakin had faith in Luke. Vader had no faith in his friends. He shirked Obi-Wan, Padme, and the rest of the Jedi to side with Palpatine, resulting in the death of his wife.

I don't think his decision to sacrifice himself to save his son and the Galaxy absolves him of his crimes as a younger man, but it does show that he's been redeemed. There's a crucial difference there. To be absolved means to have the guilt and pain of your past be taken away. To be redeemed is to take those feelings and use them to spur good works. Anakin is redeemed by Luke, and thus is finally able to accomplish the good work that he couldn't do on his own.

I think there's more to the six film series than many are giving it credit for, although only Revenge of the Sith can really stand up to the OT in terms of sheer enjoyment and fun.
Old 03-06-08, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I would say the moral of Anakin's story is that it's never too late to change. Just because he did all those horrible things doesn't mean that he can't do good when it counts. Anakin was brash, young, and in love in the PT. In the OT he's older, more self reflective. Is he the antagonist? Absolutely. But there's something in him that convinces him to side with his son over his master. That ties back in to the moral of Luke's story, which is to have faith in yourself and the people you hold dear. Luke had faith in Anakin, and Anakin had faith in Luke. Vader had no faith in his friends. He shirked Obi-Wan, Padme, and the rest of the Jedi to side with Palpatine, resulting in the death of his wife.

I don't think his decision to sacrifice himself to save his son and the Galaxy absolves him of his crimes as a younger man, but it does show that he's been redeemed. There's a crucial difference there. To be absolved means to have the guilt and pain of your past be taken away. To be redeemed is to take those feelings and use them to spur good works. Anakin is redeemed by Luke, and thus is finally able to accomplish the good work that he couldn't do on his own.

I think there's more to the six film series than many are giving it credit for, although only Revenge of the Sith can really stand up to the OT in terms of sheer enjoyment and fun.
I still say it all comes back to the final ghost scene, and why I feel Anakin shouldn't be in it at all now. If the last image of Anakin/Darth Vader was him with his son on Death Star II, and then in the bonfire on Endor, I think that would send a good message, he is redeemed by his son, but because of his crimes, but he will not sit next to Kenobi/Yoda as a force ghost. The ending image of ROTJ could have been Luke looking out at Yoda/Kenobi, and that to me would have a good moral ending.

I know many people will say many of us are looking WAY too much into these films, but the great thing about SW films are they are fun to watch, escapism films, yet Lucas was able to make them have some depth in the overall story with the characters, which makes them more then just some summer blockbuster.
Old 03-06-08, 03:58 PM
Banned by request

So did you have a problem with the original cut of ROTJ, where it's Sebastian Shaw instead of Hayden Christensen? Even if you didn't know the events of the PT, you still saw Vader vaporize Alderaan in the first film.
Old 03-06-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
So did you have a problem with the original cut of ROTJ, where it's Sebastian Shaw instead of Hayden Christensen? Even if you didn't know the events of the PT, you still saw Vader vaporize Alderaan in the first film.
Actually that was Tarkin. In the OT, Vader was pretty much a force wielding bully of sorts. He never even killed anybody in the ROTJ, except for Palpatine.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.