DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Almost Great Movies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/525147-almost-great-movies.html)

Dash 02-14-08 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I agree with Sunshine and Jarhead...
Also, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Ill give you sunshine. I thought the beginning was soooo good that the end seemed like a let down. Yet I still think it was a great movie.

As for Jarhead. It was about the war and how the solders didn't really do anything but sit around for the majority of the time. It was over before it really even started. I think the movie was a great example that the solders faced.

Groucho 02-14-08 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Sure it is. Haven't you seen Cannibal: The Musical? It's a whimsical perversion!

That movie actually qualifies for this thread. The guys who made it were talented amateurs, but I doubt they'll ever make it big in entertainment.

Vendetta-AKK 02-14-08 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=bunkaroo]Sunshine is a definitely one. Very cool film, but a pretty big letdown of an ending. QUOTE]

Funny you should mention it. Up until the last 20 minutes of watching this, I was thinking why isn't everyone raving about this movie. It was smart, intense, beautifully shot, and I was loving it. And then bam, the tone of the movie totally change and it got dumb real quick.

dhmac 02-14-08 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce. It's got such a badass premise but the execution and length made it drag a bit and didn't quite live up to what I was hoping for. It's plenty kick ass, don't get me wrong, but it's just missing <i>something</i> to take it to that next level.

Lifeform has a fantastic start... and then Mathilda May put clothes on and it all went downhill.

wewantflair 02-14-08 04:07 PM

A.i.

devilshalo 02-14-08 04:10 PM

Unbreakable.

The 5 minute conclusion kind of killed the awesome build up.

Brack 02-14-08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Unbreakable.

Loved the ending, Sam L was great with it. And it made sense anyway.

Zen Peckinpah 02-14-08 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Unbreakable.

Spoiler:
DAY CALL MEH MISTAH GLASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

chris_sc77 02-14-08 10:59 PM

I have to say Signs and War of the Worlds. Both had shitty terrible computer generated aliens and very weak hammy happy endings.

PopcornTreeCt 02-15-08 01:08 AM

[QUOTE=Vendetta-AKK]

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Sunshine is a definitely one. Very cool film, but a pretty big letdown of an ending. QUOTE]

Funny you should mention it. Up until the last 20 minutes of watching this, I was thinking why isn't everyone raving about this movie. It was smart, intense, beautifully shot, and I was loving it. And then bam, the tone of the movie totally change and it got dumb real quick.

I was the exact same way.

I think The Fountain is an almost great movie. I love the story and the performances but something seems missing from making it great.

Hulkabrgr 02-15-08 06:34 AM

Gangs of New York.

A good film that should have been a classic

vedderstapp 02-15-08 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I have to say Signs and War of the Worlds. Both had shitty terrible computer generated aliens and very weak hammy happy endings.

Signs is the first movie I thought of. Loved it up until the ridiculous end.

I'd like to offer Elizabethtown. There's a great movie in there somewhere... but not as it is.