Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Originally Posted by dr.sound
I would like to thank those people who had positive comments about the Sound Mix.
My mixing partner Chris and I mixed "Drag Me To Hell" and we also had a blast working with Sam Raimi ! As for a comment about not hearing "enough in the surrounds", your Theater is out of whack! There is plenty in the surrounds!!
I like a very dynamic mix and I appreciate that most of you enjoyed it.

There is a great picture of “The Drag Me To Hell Sound Crew” at my site listed below. Click on "News".

I am standing to the right of Sam. Please note, Sam is holding a stapler in his hand.
I have to say, that while DMTH's sound mix was fantastic, it was loud as hell (at least my theater was) - I'm talking deafeningly loud - there were moments where I'd anticipate a loud noise, and plug my ears so they wouldn't hurt. The first movie I attended in a theater was Star Wars in '77, and I have never ever had to do something like this because of volume. And I play in loud rock bands! Speaking of which, I've gone to plenty of concerts that were not nearly as loud.

Anyways, fantastic flick - my only problem was the lame convention of
Spoiler:
misplacing the button with the coin
, which I called right away - a really cheap gimmick. Yeah sure, that sort of thing is a staple of such movies, but that doesn't excuse it.

Last edited by slop101; 06-08-09 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I have to say, that while DMTH's sound mix was fantastic, it was loud as hell (at least my theater was) - I'm talking deafeningly loud - there were moments where I'd anticipate a loud noise, and plug my ears so they wouldn't hurt. The first movie I attended in a theater was Star Wars in '77, and I have never ever had to do something like this because of volume. And I play in loud rock bands! Speaking of which, I've gone to plenty of concerts that were not nearly as loud.
I'm inclined to say it was your theater. Though very loud, it's nowhere close to the two loudest movie experience I had to deal with. Those were Hellboy II and Taken. In both instances, something as simple as dialogue was deafening. I had to get out from my seat and demand the volume be lowered on several ocasions during Hellboy II until they finally brought it down.

Both those films sound just right at home. I'm sure DMTH will be no different.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-08-09 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best movie Raimi's made since Evil Dead II. His B-movie dialogue was intentional again and not a drag on mainstream movies, the low budget got him back to working with physical props instead of CG (case in point: the weakest aspect of the film is its CGI), and with the horror-comedy we know and love. I saw the end coming from a mile away, but I haven't laughed so hard for a single scene since the frosting bit of Zack and Miri.
Old 06-08-09, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm inclined to say it was your theater. Though very loud, it's nowhere close to the two loudest movie experience I had to deal with. Those were Hellboy II and Taken. In both instances, something as simple as dialogue was deafening. I had to get out from my seat and demand the volume be lowered on several ocasions during Hellboy II until they finally brought it down.

Both those films sound just right at home. I'm sure DMTH will be no different.
It's not even close, as I don't remember Hellboy 2 being particularly loud. I even saw it in the same movie theater. Drag's volume-level blows it (and all others) out of the water. I should point out that as loud as it was, not once did it distort, clip or suffer any negative effects - except for maybe my ears bleeding...
Old 06-08-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Drag Me To Deafness is what this movie could have been called. I really liked the movie but thought that the boosted soundtrack was used cheaply to get some scares. And some of the other jump out from behind scares are no different than what a no name director would use in his or her first movie and get reamed for.
Old 06-08-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not even close, as I don't remember Hellboy 2 being particularly loud. I even saw it in the same movie theater. Drag's volume-level blows it (and all others) out of the water. I should point out that as loud as it was, not once did it distort, clip or suffer any negative effects - except for maybe my ears bleeding...
Well neither film I mentioned was ridiculously loud on their own. Which is why I mentioned that they sounded fine at home when I purchased them on BD. In my case, the theater had jacked up the audio way too loud. Fortunately, I didn't experience that with drag me to hell. It was really loud but somehow within reason.
Old 06-08-09, 04:29 AM

How do I respond? I guess you would have mixed it differently.
As for playing in a rock bands and going to concerts that weren't as loud,
the difference is dynamics. The movie was mixed with dynamics, most rock bands have none.
I don't want to get into an argument with a guy I don't know so on that note.....
Old 06-08-09, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Drag Me To Deafness is what this movie could have been called. I really liked the movie but thought that the boosted soundtrack was used cheaply to get some scares. And some of the other jump out from behind scares are no different than what a no name director would use in his or her first movie and get reamed for.
Nice shot, or should I say "Cheap Shot"?
Boosted soundtrack? Once again, dynamics. Some day you guys should attend a Feature Film Mix .
Old 06-08-09, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that an invitation, or should we all go down to our local Feature Film Mix Store?

Old 06-08-09, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All kidding aside, if dr.sound's offer is on the money, I'd definitely go as I find the subject quit fascinating.
Old 06-08-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it was 'too loud' it was your theatre jacking the volume - even if you saw another movie in that same theatre and it was fine, the volume is automated and sometimes screws up (ie. the theatre I worked at volume for trailers/ads was 4.0, movie starts volume goes to 5.5)... there were times when it would (for no explicable reason) jump up to 6.5 or 7.0 instead of 5.5 and being a good projectionist who would check all 12 projectors when the film started, I'd manually lower it back to where it was supposed to be - perhaps that theatre that blew your eardrums out just had it cranked for no good reason.

When I was working at the theatre, we screened KILL BILL the night before and the other projectionist cranked it up to 7.0 - with just two guys in the theatre - management went home with the keys to the projection booth so we couldn't turn it down - I had to get up 20 minutes in, grab napkins and make makeshift earplugs out of them because it physically hurt. Saw it again the next night with the proper volume setting and it was fantastic- so it's probably not the mix, it's your theatre :P
Old 06-08-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

The audio in our theater sucked, and I was pissed after hearing so many great things about the audio in the movie. It wasn't loud at all and nothing popped out as a "loud sound to startle", and the surround appeared to be muffled.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-08-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
If it was 'too loud' it was your theatre jacking the volume - even if you saw another movie in that same theatre and it was fine, the volume is automated and sometimes screws up (ie. the theatre I worked at volume for trailers/ads was 4.0, movie starts volume goes to 5.5)... there were times when it would (for no explicable reason) jump up to 6.5 or 7.0 instead of 5.5 and being a good projectionist who would check all 12 projectors when the film started, I'd manually lower it back to where it was supposed to be - perhaps that theatre that blew your eardrums out just had it cranked for no good reason.

When I was working at the theatre, we screened KILL BILL the night before and the other projectionist cranked it up to 7.0 - with just two guys in the theatre - management went home with the keys to the projection booth so we couldn't turn it down - I had to get up 20 minutes in, grab napkins and make makeshift earplugs out of them because it physically hurt. Saw it again the next night with the proper volume setting and it was fantastic- so it's probably not the mix, it's your theatre :P
If your theater is "calibrated", you should play the sound at "7.0" on the Dolby Box. That is the calibrated level that the movie was mixed at.
5.5 is way too low.
Sorry guys but Features are mixed at a calibrated level .
The Theater should at least start at "7.0" and move down to 6.5 or at the lowest 6.0. The setting of 4.5 is about 20 db below the calibrated level.
Old 06-08-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How do I respond? I guess you would have mixed it differently.
As for playing in a rock bands and going to concerts that weren't as loud,
the difference is dynamics. The movie was mixed with dynamics, most rock bands have none.
I don't want to get into an argument with a guy I don't know so on that note.....
Like I said, the actual mix itself was fine - better than fine actually, it was flat-out fantastic - it was just unbearably loud in a lot of parts - mostly where there's high-pitched shrieking.
Old 06-08-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
The audio in our theater sucked, and I was pissed after hearing so many great things about the audio in the movie. It wasn't loud at all and nothing popped out as a "loud sound to startle", and the surround appeared to be muffled.
Ditto in the theater I saw it at on opening weekend. It was far from being too loud. Perhaps that was why I found the jump scares ineffective.

Not to mention whoever was running the booth didn't dim the lights until about 10 minutes into the movie, and audience members were still chatting and using their cellphones during this time.
Old 06-08-09, 11:35 AM

It is a shame that some theaters apparently are showing it improperly with the wrong sound levels, pretty much ruining all the work dr.sound and others put into the mix. The sound in this film was really a major key in why the film as a whole was so effective. And I usually hate loud noise and usually try to plug my ears during all the noisy annoying trailers prior to the film. But DMTH was exquisite in its layered loudness. I don't have a surround set-up at home (and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to recreate the intensity of the sound as my neighbors would most likely object) so seeing this in the theater a couple of times was essential. May go back once more before it's gone.
Old 06-08-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Drag Me To Hell is currently the number 1 film ranked per the American Blind Peoples Association due to the care put into the soundtrack and sound mixing.
Old 06-08-09, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Drag Me To Hell is currently the number 1 film ranked per the American Blind Peoples Association due to the care put into the soundtrack and sound mixing.
That's funny! Good one.
Old 06-08-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw this last night. While I was waiting to grab some snacks, I saw a former student who advised me that this movie sucked. He is a Nickelback fan so I wasn't taking too much of what he said to heart. At this point the counter girl started jawing about how much this movie sucked. I said that I doubted it did, and that she probably just doesn't understand the horror-comedy genre to which she replied that she was an 'expert' on horror movies. Apparently the kids at the theatre wear name tags with their favorite movies on them, and this is when I noticed that she was wearing a tag that said '13 ghosts'. I said 'wait a second, you're not even allowed an opinion. you;re wearing a 13 ghosts tag'. She told me it was one o the greatest movies ever and gave me back my change (17 cents) completely in pennies which I tossed all over the counter and left.
Anyways, the movie was amazing. Loved every minute of it. I loved all the throwbacks to the evil dead triliogy, the humor, the scares, the sound, everything. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the last couple of years.
Old 06-08-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
Saw this last night. While I was waiting to grab some snacks, I saw a former student who advised me that this movie sucked. He is a Nickelback fan so I wasn't taking too much of what he said to heart. At this point the counter girl started jawing about how much this movie sucked. I said that I doubted it did, and that she probably just doesn't understand the horror-comedy genre to which she replied that she was an 'expert' on horror movies. Apparently the kids at the theatre wear name tags with their favorite movies on them, and this is when I noticed that she was wearing a tag that said '13 ghosts'. I said 'wait a second, you're not even allowed an opinion. you;re wearing a 13 ghosts tag'. She told me it was one o the greatest movies ever and gave me back my change (17 cents) completely in pennies which I tossed all over the counter and left.
Anyways, the movie was amazing. Loved every minute of it. I loved all the throwbacks to the evil dead triliogy, the humor, the scares, the sound, everything. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the last couple of years.

I love this post.
Old 06-08-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe she was talking about william castle's thirteen ghosts...
Old 06-08-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
maybe she was talking about william castle's thirteen ghosts...
I don't think so. She had faded blue streaks in her hair and was probably 16.
Old 06-08-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your theater is "calibrated", you should play the sound at "7.0" on the Dolby Box. That is the calibrated level that the movie was mixed at.
5.5 is way too low.
Sorry guys but Features are mixed at a calibrated level .
The Theater should at least start at "7.0" and move down to 6.5 or at the lowest 6.0. The setting of 4.5 is about 20 db below the calibrated level.
It's okay, I forgive you.
Old 06-08-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think so. She had faded blue streaks in her hair and was probably 16.
Unfair generalization. At 16 I had a mohawk and may have said the same thing.
Old 06-08-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it okay that I never even heard of 13 Ghosts?

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-08-09 at 08:01 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.