Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm sure the DVD/BD will have a commentary and (possibly) be the slightly longer R-rated cut.
Huh? Where did you get that idea from? There didn't seem to be anything cut. Even the edgier scenes felt uncensored.
Old 06-04-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Huh? Where did you get that idea from? There didn't seem to be anything cut. Even the edgier scenes felt uncensored.
Raimi said that he cuts "frames" to secure an R-rating. From what I recall reading, what was cut had to do with
Spoiler:
an eyeball being gouged, or scooped, out.
Old 06-04-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh. I wonder how they'll market that? "Drag Me To Hell is now more intense in an exclusive unrated cut featuring 30 frames of footage you couldn't see in theatres!"
Old 06-04-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man o' man was this movie a complete waste! I don't mind a little comedy, some zingers in a horror movie, but this was ridiculous. I like the Evil Dead movies, but some parts of those movies genuinely scared me, not here. I had high hopes for this one, but i was completely let down. Trash.......
Old 06-05-09, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by thegame370
Man o' man was this movie a complete waste! I don't mind a little comedy, some zingers in a horror movie, but this was ridiculous. I like the Evil Dead movies, but some parts of those movies genuinely scared me, not here. I had high hopes for this one, but i was completely let down. Trash.......

There were parts in the ED series that scared you?
Old 06-05-09, 05:49 AM

To reiterate, DMTH is a fantastic movie.

If your best friend comes back with a negative review, leave him to listen to Aerosmith with the rest of his whittling IHOP-monkey toadies.
Old 06-05-09, 08:20 AM

The movie doesnt need an R rated cut, its as effective as can be. A few frames of additional gore will add nothing, unless you are so unsecure that you cannot admit to liking a PG-13 horror movie

Oddly enough the two best US horror movies of this decade are PG-13, imo at least. Drag me to hell and The Ring
Old 06-06-09, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. Great flick can't wait for the disc!
Old 06-06-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The sound on this thing is insane! My HT is gonna get one hell of a workout!
Old 06-06-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw it last night with my little brother. We both loved it. Tense, funny, and FUN. Something that has been missing from horror movies for a long time. You can tell Sam Raimi had total control over his vision and enjoyed torturing his audience. Seeing this with a rowdy audience definitely added to the fun. And yes, the sound design was first class. Orndorf said it well, Drag Me To Hell is "a sophisticated cacophony of 360 degree demonic agony."

I think I was the only one in the theater though who got the reference to Evil Dead 2 with the laughing ghost.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 06-06-09 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-06-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Cujo Ramsey
This movie was a complete load of crap. Not scary, not funny, not much of anything. I've always said that Sam Raimi was a hack director, but I think this movie probably proves my point better than anything else.

Oh my.
Old 06-06-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Oh my.
:notrolls:
Old 06-06-09, 01:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw this again yesterday. So much fun! I almost wish Raimi hadn't signed on to do the next two Spider-Man films so he can make smaller films again.
Old 06-06-09, 04:03 PM

I just wanted to say that I saw this today and I loved it. It's my favorite film of 2009 so far (I haven't seen Star Trek or Up yet, though, but I will in the next few weeks). It isn't my favorite horror movie of the decade, but it is my favorite American horror film of the decade, for sure.

I would rank them like this:

1. 28 Days Later...
2. The Descent
3. Let the Right One In
4. Drag Me to Hell
5. The Orphanage
6. [Rec]
7. High Tension
8. Inside
9. The Ring
10. The Host

That's just me, though.

Last edited by Aegean2007; 06-06-09 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-06-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I absolutely hated the CG in this movie. The stuff with the shadows and practical effects was so well done that I was sad when it shifted gears, though I too want an anvil hanging in my shed.

There were a bunch of continuity errors (shots wise) but that didn't bug me so much, but damn that CG.

Entertaining flick outside of that, surprisingly effective storytelling despite going out of its way for laughs, it still managed to be a bit creepy in spots. "You old bitch!" was a great line, well delivered repeatedly and the animal scene was absolute gold.
Old 06-06-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Saw this again yesterday. So much fun!

Hey, so did I! And loved it as much as the first time. You know, I don't get all the people bad mouthing the CGI. Don't you think that's how Raimi wanted it to look? I mean, it's such an over the top/drive-in type movie anyway. He's got the dough and pull to have state of the art effects if he really wanted it.
Old 06-06-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Hey, so did I! And loved it as much as the first time. You know, I don't get all the people bad mouthing the CGI. Don't you think that's how Raimi wanted it to look? I mean, it's such an over the top/drive-in type movie anyway. He's got the dough and pull to have state of the art effects if he really wanted it.
I don't know. Part of me felt like the CG was the modern equivalent to cheesy 1950s effects. On the other hand, the other effects are so well implemented that it seems like a complete waste to blow it with horrible CG effects. It really pulled me out of the movie, and was the only thing that felt inconsistent.

In the end, I think it was budget restraints more than anything.
Old 06-06-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raimi said that he cuts "frames" to secure an R-rating. From what I recall reading, what was cut had to do with
Spoiler:
an eyeball being gouged, or scooped, out.
No, in an interview with Aint-it-Cool-News, Raimi actually said that the only thing they had to do was use an alternate take of one shot during a scene in order to go from PG-13 to R, and because it was an alternate take, the R-rated cut is actually a few seconds shorter than the PG-13 cut.
Old 06-06-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn
No, in an interview with Aint-it-Cool-News, Raimi actually said that the only thing they had to do was use an alternate take of one shot during a scene in order to go from PG-13 to R, and because it was an alternate take, the R-rated cut is actually a few seconds shorter than the PG-13 cut.
I read that interview, and I thought he said he had to cut eight seconds.
Old 06-06-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I read that interview, and I thought he said he had to cut eight seconds.
The new Unrated Cut with a whopping 8 seconds you couldn't see in the theaters. I thought the movie was fun but did rely a bit too much (and cheaply) on the soundtrack being too damn loud. The story was quite good but some of the scares were cheap and are the same kind of scares bitched about when they are done by any other director just trying to make a name for themself.
Old 06-06-09, 10:05 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

My wife and I really enjoyed this one. We had plenty of screams followed by laughs, which is perfect for this sort of film.
Old 06-07-09, 12:08 AM

Having read these quotes:

I saw this last night. I'll post a full-length review later today, but in a nutshell: it's pretty good. There is some BAD CGI, some scenes that should be scary are a little too Raimi-goofy, the story isn't terribly original and the "3 days of torment" aren't very tormenting. I did like some of the practical FX work, the sound design (something I rarely notice) was fucking amazing(!) and the ending. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.
And

Originally Posted by fallfan
Definately try to catch it at a different theatre. The sound mix was fantastic, especially during the seance scene and the parts where she is alone at home.
And
Originally Posted by man*machine
Yes, the sound was great. The screeching sounds she heard at home would circle itself around the theater. During the seance, when the noise gets so loud that even the characters are putting their hands up to their ears, I thought the theater's speakers were going to explode! Great stuff.
And

This movie ROCKED! So much fun. It has everything. And yes, the sound is a huge part of the experience. You must see it in a theater with a great sound system. Daniel, I do think this is up there with Raimi's best. And I'd give it a 10/10. Great great stuff.
And
Originally Posted by RD1973
I just saw this movie last night with a packed house and it was awesome! I don't scare easily, but the sound effects had me on edge the whole time.

I would like to thank those people who had positive comments about the Sound Mix.
My mixing partner Chris and I mixed "Drag Me To Hell" and we also had a blast working with Sam Raimi ! As for a comment about not hearing "enough in the surrounds", your Theater is out of whack! There is plenty in the surrounds!!
I like a very dynamic mix and I appreciate that most of you enjoyed it.

There is a great picture of “The Drag Me To Hell Sound Crew” at my site listed below. Click on "News".

I am standing to the right of Sam. Please note, Sam is holding a stapler in his hand.
Old 06-07-09, 12:14 AM

Review:

Here’s something I rarely notice in films today: sound design. Drag Me To Hell has some of the most incredible sound I’ve heard in a theater in a long time. It’s abrasive, unnerving, tormenting and VERY FUCKING LOUD. I doubt this is going to win an Oscar or anything, though it should, but the sound design here alone is worth the price of admission. I’m sure it’ll sound sweet as hell on a decent home theater system, but don’t wait for the Blu-ray to come out. This is definitely something you need to experience in a theater. Raimi has always had a penchant for creative use of sound, Evil Dead II is a perfect example of this, but the uninitiated will be in for quite the auditory treat.

[/spoiler]
This was meant to be attached to my previous post
Old 06-07-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks so scary!
Old 06-07-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm glad that Raimi's returned to this genre

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.