DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/524972-drag-me-hell-sam-raimi.html)

RocShemp 03-31-09 05:22 PM

Re: Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Not terrible but terribly bland.

aintnosin 03-31-09 06:19 PM

This better not suck or the critics will have a field day with the title.

MartinBlank 03-31-09 08:01 PM

What's it rated? IMDB's got nothin' and I didn't see anything in the trailer.

Rypro 525 03-31-09 10:44 PM

am i the only one who thought that it was Kate Winslett in the trailer?

Solid Snake 03-31-09 10:55 PM

....no. She kinda looks like the girl from Harry Potter though...

mmconhea 04-01-09 09:23 AM

Can't wait!

mdc3000 04-01-09 09:40 AM

I like that poster, it's pretty cool IMO. Hoping to hear about the rating on this one soon.

sauce07 04-01-09 09:54 AM

we all know this is going to be PG-13, just come to terms with it. (I hope this bites me on the ass)

rexinnih 04-01-09 10:36 AM

Looks good but I do get a "PG-13" vibe off of it. Not too much blood/gore.

islandclaws 04-01-09 10:57 AM

Wow, that poster sucks.

Solid Snake 04-01-09 11:16 AM

...that'd suck if it was PG-13. I'd like to see do another R Horror...

RocShemp 04-01-09 11:48 AM

I remember rumbling of this being PG-13 way early on. But those died out rather quickly so I assumed they were just BS rumours. I certainly hope this is not PG-13.

Pointyskull 04-01-09 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9362292)
...that'd suck if it was PG-13. I'd like to see do another R Horror...

I'm not that concerned about the rating. I just want the film to be enjoyable.
In my experience, an R-rating is in no way a guarantee of a horror film's worth - good, bad or otherwise.

Bring it on - PG-13 or not...

Kicker_of_Elves 04-01-09 11:59 AM

Great Tagline

Solid Snake 04-01-09 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 9362425)
I'm not that concerned about the rating. I just want the film to be enjoyable.
In my experience, an R-rating is in no way a guarantee of a horror film's worth - good, bad or otherwise.

Bring it on - PG-13 or not...

True but...there are so few good modern R-rated horror films..all the latest "horror" are just shock flicks that are mediocre.

NoirFan 04-16-09 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 9362006)
we all know this is going to be PG-13, just come to terms with it.

Yup.

toddly6666 04-16-09 11:35 PM

I don't think that PG-13 is going to matter because Drag Me To Hell is going to be such a great movie. Army of Darkness was rated R, but it probably would be a PG-13 film if it got released now since it's a comedy. I noticed that the MPAA board is laid back with horror movies for some weird reason. A recent horror film like The Unborn was rated PG-13. I didn't see that movie, but I thought that the trailer was disturbing and scary enough to get an R-Rating. The Sixth Sense was PG-13 (disturbing imagery of ghost girl with bloody brains and people getting lynched not rated R?)

RichC2 04-17-09 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9392779)
I don't think that PG-13 is going to matter because Drag Me To Hell is going to be such a great movie. Army of Darkness was rated R, but it probably would be a PG-13 film if it got released now since it's a comedy. I noticed that the MPAA board is laid back with horror movies for some weird reason. A recent horror film like The Unborn was rated PG-13. I didn't see that movie, but I thought that the trailer was disturbing and scary enough to get an R-Rating. The Sixth Sense was PG-13 (disturbing imagery of ghost girl with bloody brains and people getting lynched not rated R?)

Ratings don't rate how "scary" something is, all that matters is penetration (either by weapons or sexual), nudity and language. Blood/gore is usually fine (as it is on regular broadcast tv) as long as you don't get to see how it got there.

chris_sc77 04-17-09 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9392779)

Well Army of Darkness wasnt a horror movie. Its about as horror as the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies are. Someone asked my in sarcastic fashion about who would wanna see Raimi do a horror film? Well I frankly dont care about him doing horror. Hes only made two Horror films (Evil Dead 1 and Evil Dead II) and I dont think those are great horror films at all. They are enjoyable but not scary. This Drag me to Hell looks like any number of shitty horror films thats been released since oh, about 2002. If someone told me this was coming direct-to-dvd I wouldn't be shocked in the least. It looks that.....mediocre say. You know exactly what you are gonna get here.Ths just seems like a major miss-step from Raimi since I remember when he would actually make moves for adults and not middle-schoolers looking for something to do on a Friday night.

LickTheABCs 04-17-09 02:10 PM

^^ According to a few people who have seen it, this isn't a horror movie either. In fact, it's said to be extremely funny. More like Army of Darkness than Evil Dead.

tylergfoster 04-17-09 07:10 PM

Raimi said on AICN that the difference between R and PG-13 was a difference of less than ten seconds, so while I'd have preferred an R (and I bet when the "Unrated" DVD comes out, people will be pissed), I'm not going to get up in arms about a PG-13.

Supermallet 04-18-09 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9393377)
Well Army of Darkness wasnt a horror movie. Its about as horror as the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies are. Someone asked my in sarcastic fashion about who would wanna see Raimi do a horror film? Well I frankly dont care about him doing horror. Hes only made two Horror films (Evil Dead 1 and Evil Dead II) and I dont think those are great horror films at all. They are enjoyable but not scary. This Drag me to Hell looks like any number of shitty horror films thats been released since oh, about 2002. If someone told me this was coming direct-to-dvd I wouldn't be shocked in the least. It looks that.....mediocre say. You know exactly what you are gonna get here.Ths just seems like a major miss-step from Raimi since I remember when he would actually make moves for adults and not middle-schoolers looking for something to do on a Friday night.

What about The Gift?

Paul1957 05-06-09 09:58 AM

TV Spots:

<object width="450" height="248"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10746"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10746" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="248"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="248"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10745"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10745" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="248"></embed></object>

RichC2 05-14-09 03:45 PM

Not exactly top critics, and these reviews are old, but eh:

"Drag Me to Hell is the most fun I've had at the movies in years. It's destined to be a cult classic for all eternity." - Cole Smithey

"f you're just looking for a fun horror flick that's a little gross, a bit silly, and entirely entertaining, this is bound to be one of the year's finest genre offerings." FEARnet

"It's a visceral assault on the senses and will have you gasping for breath as the laughs and scares mount. Raimi directs with the confidence and flair of a genre master. " IGNUK

"In modern horror there's always a line they can't cross. Drag Me To Hell stabs it, sacrifices it, buries it in the back yard, and then gets away with it by giving the audience a wink and a nod." CinemaBlend

"[The] brand-new self-described "spook-a-blast" is a nasty little bit of cyanide fun, a new Sam Raimi horror film, and it is an indecent amount of fun." Moriarty (AICN)

"Lohman takes a Bruce Campbell-style beating through Raimi's wonderful world of swoop-cams, attacking furniture and pus-spewing creatures...Take a deep sigh of relief, horror fans. Sam's back!" Dread Central

"DRAG ME TO HELL was quite simply the most PERFECT horror film I've seen in a long, long while. Raimi stirs a delicious witches brew that blends gore, scares and fun into a perfect blend." Bloody Disgusting

I think this looks like fun :up:

Solid Snake 05-14-09 04:03 PM

I think this means awesome...