DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/524972-drag-me-hell-sam-raimi.html)

Hokeyboy 10-19-09 08:15 AM

Re: Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Originally Posted by J. Farley (Post 9781548)
I'm just glad that Lohman was in this instead of Ellen Page. I can only imagine how much less I'd like it if it were the other way around.

You would have loved the ending more.

MoviePage 10-19-09 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9779221)
I def prefer the theatrical cut after having watched the unrated version. All the unrated cut adds is some additional CGI grue that, quite frankly, looks pretty poor. The theatrical cut played perfectly for me when I first saw it, and it's no different now.

I've only watched the unrated cut (twice), so what part wasn't in the theatrical?

Also, grue? :)

Yavin 10-19-09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 9783172)
I've only watched the unrated cut (twice), so what part wasn't in the theatrical?

I think the only difference in the unrated cut was:

Spoiler:
An additional shot right before Christine buries her cat, where she brings the knife down on her cat (off-camera), resulting in a whole lot of blood splatter.

I didn't notice anything else, myself.

tylergfoster 10-19-09 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin (Post 9783192)
I think the only difference in the unrated cut was:

Spoiler:
An additional shot right before Christine buries her cat, where she brings the knife down on her cat (off-camera), resulting in a whole lot of blood splatter.

I didn't notice anything else, myself.

Spoiler:
It's not even an additional shot, it's a replacement shot. In the theatrical, there's a shot of the cat sitting in a laundry basket with Christine's shadow overwhelming it, which is removed (a shot of the front of the house might be gone too). Unrated is 9s shorter.

Yavin 10-19-09 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 9783613)
Spoiler:
It's not even an additional shot, it's a replacement shot. In the theatrical, there's a shot of the cat sitting in a laundry basket with Christine's shadow overwhelming it, which is removed (a shot of the front of the house might be gone too). Unrated is 9s shorter.

I think the very beginning of the replacement shot is also used in the trailer as well, somewhere around where they feature bits from the seance.

islandclaws 10-20-09 12:00 PM

The aforementioned
Spoiler:
cat killing scene
and also, when
Spoiler:
the anvil is dropped on Mrs. Ganush's head in the garage, there is noticeably more eyeball gore and innards that hit Christine in the face.

Also, grue? :)

What? It's a perfectly cromulent word. ;)

JaxComet 11-04-09 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9499343)
I saw this again yesterday. I still feel the same about it: fun flick with great sound and some lousy CGI.

I agree. Worth seeing but nothing I need to see again.

fumanstan 11-04-09 05:25 PM

I rented this during Halloween (along with The Mist and Teeth :p). I just thought it was ok. Some cool moments thanks to a creepy looking old woman, and some requisite Raimi slap-stick type gore/horror, but a fairly predictable last 15 minutes with the button. It doesn't help that it's hard for me to take Justin Long seriously :lol:

Solid Snake 11-04-09 06:29 PM

It's a Sam Raimi film..how serious are we supposed to take characters in his film?

dolphinboy 11-05-09 10:05 PM

I guess this film is polarizing judging by reviews and comments. Finally watched it with my wife (who's not a fan of blood) and we LOVED it. I mean, I gave it a 9 out of 10 at imdb. Just loved everything about it and thought it achieved everything it intended to do. More than anything, we just thought it was entirely entertaining from the beginning to the end.

Solid Snake 11-05-09 10:55 PM

I don't think your honest vote means much at IMDB. It's...IMDB.

fumanstan 11-05-09 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9816637)
It's a Sam Raimi film..how serious are we supposed to take characters in his film?

That wasn't really the point. More so that I want to punch Justin Long in the face for the stupid Mac commercials.

RichC2 10-28-11 09:46 PM

They're showing this on USA, first time I've seen it in a while -- actually like it much better now knowing how silly and goofy it is.

That said the sound design really is phenomenal in this movie.