DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/524972-drag-me-hell-sam-raimi.html)

RichC2 06-08-09 08:18 PM

Re: Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9493541)
Is it okay that I never even heard of 13 Ghosts? :scratch2:

13 Ghosts was an okay horror flick from 1960, it wasn't bad but it wasn't what I'd consider a classic. What we're most likely talking about is the 2001 remake by Dark Castle entertainment, it starred Shannon Elizabeth and Tony Shalhoub and was the cinematic equivalent of a late term abortion - occasionally interesting in its gore factor but otherwise an absolute waste of life.

freshticles 06-08-09 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by zombeaner (Post 9493538)
Unfair generalization. At 16 I had a mohawk and may have said the same thing.

Oh no, I wasn't generalizing. I was using it to gauge her age. I had dreadlocks and rode a skateboard everywhere at 16. I think the dead give-away was that she said she was an expert at horror movies. That just proves she doesn't know shit. I highly doubt she's even seen a horror movie pre-Grudge.

RichC2 06-08-09 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by freshticles (Post 9493598)
Oh no, I wasn't generalizing. I was using it to gauge her age. I had dreadlocks and rode a skateboard everywhere at 16. I think the dead give-away was that she said she was an expert at horror movies. That just proves she doesn't know shit. I highly doubt she's even seen a horror movie pre-Grudge.

13 Ghosts was pre-Grudge. I never got why The Grudge gets referenced so often, that movie was terrrrrrrrrible. (And I don't mean in this instance, I mean by teenagers and like, even the original Ju-on flick sucked.)

JumpCutz 06-08-09 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9493670)
even the original Ju-on flick sucked.)

I have to disagree with this. Ju-on was incredibly atmospheric and creepy if not entirely scary. Although he rode the franchise into the ground, Shimizu made an almost pitch-perfect ghost story with this entry.

RichC2 06-08-09 10:04 PM

It's all personal preference.

I didn't like the first Ju-on flick, but I did enjoy the straight to video 45 minute Ju-on: The Curse thing that came first (with Chiaki Kuriyama). It was atmospheric and to the point.

Supermallet 06-08-09 10:15 PM

Ju-On was a bad rip-off of several significantly better Japanese horror films, including the original Ring. It had no suspense and no point. I couldn't stand it. Didn't even see the remake.

tylergfoster 06-08-09 11:43 PM

Somewhat ironically, the Dark Castle version of Thirteen Ghosts has Embeth Davidtz in it.

RocShemp 06-09-09 12:37 AM

Okay, I think I vaguely remember seeing that movie when some friends of mine rented it.
Spoiler:
Did Embeth Davidtz get squished by two glass walls?
If so, I have seen it afterall.

freshticles 06-09-09 04:21 AM

All I remember is it had something to do with magic sunglasses...or maybe that was Dream a Little Dream 2...I don't know...

mdc3000 06-09-09 09:22 AM

Yes, that glass wall bit is in 13 Ghosts.

Drop 06-10-09 11:42 AM

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Great to see Raimi's old style still working like a charm. It was a great ride, not really scary, decent jumps, some good laughs, and very exciting. Hope he makes some more films like this down the line, I have no doubt they could pull off another Evil Dead.

cactusoly 06-10-09 09:26 PM

finally saw it and I have one question....

Where the Hell was Bruce Campbell?

sorry if it was answered earlier but I didn't want to go through 10 pages

dsa_shea 06-10-09 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by dr.sound (Post 9491874)
Nice shot, or should I say "Cheap Shot"?
Boosted soundtrack? Once again, dynamics. Some day you guys should attend a Feature Film Mix .

It was a good movie so please don't get me wrong. Now, my wife and I both felt that parts of the soundtrack were louder than they should have been to elicit scares out of you in a cheap way. There were a couple of ladies sitting a few seats to our right and they were even making comments about how loud the effects and sounds were. The audio dialogue was fine and easily understood but when it came time to scare it seems that all of those effects and sounds were at an ear popping level. Sorry if you took my assessment of the sound design to mean that I didn't enjoy the move. Could you please do me a favor and tell Mr. Raimi to make Evil Dead 4 happen before the next millenium rolls around? Bruce definitely needs to do something to redeem himself after the tragedy known as My Name Is Bruce. Thanks!

RichC2 06-10-09 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 9498484)
Bruce definitely needs to do something to redeem himself after the tragedy known as My Name Is Bruce. Thanks!

He redeems himself week after week. Thursday nights at 9:00 PM est on USA.

dsa_shea 06-10-09 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9498492)
He redeems himself week after week. Thursday nights at 9:00 PM est on USA.

Well, I would like to see him redeem that basic character he was playing in the Evil Dead movies that was knocked down a few notches by the terrible jokes and story of MNIB. As far as his tv career goes he has always been solid.

Solid Snake 06-11-09 12:56 AM

I remember the first time I saw him in Hercules when I was a kid. Never knew what Evil Dead really was till probably around 4-5 yrs. ago...oh god did EDII change my life...it's a masterpiece. And yes...Drag Me to Hell needed a Bruce cameo..it actually ran through my head as I ask myself whether or not he'd be in it...

islandclaws 06-11-09 11:45 AM

I saw this again yesterday. I still feel the same about it: fun flick with great sound and some lousy CGI.

Drop 06-11-09 02:35 PM

I liked the lousy CG. It had a certain quality that worked, kind of like the goofy puppetry from The Evil Dead films. I think CG finally has the charming quality to it when it's not up to snuff.

I believe Campbell was too busy with Burn Notice to make a cameo.

islandclaws 06-11-09 04:42 PM

I'd much rather see some cheesy practical FX work than cheesy CGI. IMO, that's just a lazy shortcut. Not surprised, though, considering how reliant Raimi is on CG thanks to Spidey.

Supermallet 06-11-09 05:44 PM

Yeah, I agree. Even crappy practical effects have a tactile look to them.

CharlieK 06-13-09 10:45 PM

Just saw this today and loved it. Most everything I liked about it has been praised here, but I will say that I really liked the characters in this movie. They all seemed to play against type which was refreshing for a horror movie; any movie really.

The boyfriend was a decent guy and had faith in his girlfriend without wavering. He was concerned, but didn't automatically think she was crazy like most other movies would do. I loved how the movie didn't even bother to show a follow-up scene to her freak out at his parent's house. Most movies would have some awkward conversation on the car ride home.

The boss gets schmoozed by the other candidate, but isn't swayed to picking the wrong guy. The office dick turns out to be a sniveling crybaby, scared of his father.

Even the heroine was strong from the beginning. She wasn't a delicate flower that learned how to be brave and defend herself. She was brave from the start, but just needed to get braver.

It helps a movie so much when you're not rolling your eyes at what the characters are doing.

Gilgamesh1082 06-14-09 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by cactusoly (Post 9498392)
finally saw it and I have one question....

Where the Hell was Bruce Campbell?

He was the disembodied laughing voice during the seance. :)

EdTheRipper 06-15-09 09:46 PM

Just saw this earlier today. Loved it. I had a huge grin on my face pretty much the entire time. Damn good stuff.

story 06-24-09 06:33 PM

I can't believe this has all but disappeared from the Twin Cities Metro already, now only showing downtown and at a second-run budget theater in the suburbs. I've been telling everyone to see it, my wife and I dug it so much. Too bad.

SethDLH 06-24-09 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica (Post 9524168)
I can't believe this has all but disappeared from the Twin Cities Metro already, now only showing downtown and at a second-run budget theater in the suburbs. I've been telling everyone to see it, my wife and I dug it so much. Too bad.

It is a low budget horror movie in the middle of the summer blockbusters, and lasted a month in most theaters. Not to shabby IMO