DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Classic lines that are overrated? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/524857-classic-lines-overrated.html)

OldBoy 02-10-08 04:14 PM

Classic lines that are overrated?

Sometimes in movies there are those memorable, iconic lines that come during the film that don't seem to move us or humor us the way that its' status dictates. There is sometimes this build up to this one line that everyone seems to know and love and then when it comes it just fizzles for you. Now, it doesn't mean the movie is any less grand to you, it is just that one line that doesn't do it for you.

It doesn't happen often to me, but one that I know of (of course since it is on right now it doesn't hurt to recall) is in "Cool Hand Luke". Of course it is "What we have hear is a failure to communicate". I mean it isn't necessarily a bad line and completely appropo for the scene, but it simply didn't work the first time I saw it after knowing the line from countless specials and commercials for the movie on tv. I very much enjoy the line thereafter that Luke says to the cook after the cook is ribbing him about running and the cook says "Hell, with your smell I could track you" and Luke says "Well, that's because you are a genuine son of a bitch" or something to that affect. i loved that line.

now, of course i love the movie and think it is fantastic, it is just that one line.

so any movies with these classic lines that you simply think is hyped up more than should be?

Bluelitespecial 02-10-08 04:27 PM

"you Complete Me" Jerry Maguire

Brack 02-10-08 04:29 PM

That line from "Cool Hand Luke" is used more than once if you recall, I think that's why it is considered effective the second time.

OldBoy 02-10-08 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
That line from "Cool Hand Luke" is used more than once if you recall, I think that's why it is considered effective the second time.

yes, i know, but i was thinking about the Boss when he says it.

riotinmyskull 02-10-08 04:39 PM

how's this for irony: "say hello to my little friend"

visitor Q 02-10-08 04:53 PM

Will I be hunted down and killed if I add "May the Force Be With You"?

JJE-187 02-10-08 04:55 PM

Hasta La Vista Baby
I'll Be Back

PopcornTreeCt 02-10-08 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Will I be hunted down and killed if I add "May the Force Be With You"?

Anything from Star Wars makes me groan. Especially, "Luke I am your father" because my name is Luke so I've heard line a million times.

Brack 02-10-08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
yes, i know, but i was thinking about the Boss when he says it.

well sure, but that's not really the person who is associated with the line when people talk about it.

OldBoy 02-10-08 06:15 PM

well sure, but that's not really the person who is associated with the line when people talk about it.

i disagree. i think he is synonymous with that line. at least in my recollections i have always had for this movie.

Brack 02-10-08 06:26 PM

well, I guess I agree, since I don't think it sounds good coming from the captain or whoever said it.

TomOpus 02-10-08 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Especially, "Luke I am your father" because my name is Luke so I've heard line a million times.

It's only a real groaner if you real father says it.

Brack 02-10-08 06:42 PM

Too bad he never says "Luke I am your father" (it's "no, I am your father.")

PopcornTreeCt 02-10-08 07:05 PM

Too bad he never says "Luke I am your father" (it's "no, I am your father.")

Yup, I've tried explaining that too but it's futile.

Brack 02-10-08 07:17 PM

^^^ reminds me of the Michael Bolton stuff from Office Space :lol: sorry, it's kinda funny.

7Keys 02-10-08 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Hasta La Vista Baby
I'll Be Back

I liked I'll Be Back, but not Hasta La Vista Baby.

And as mentioned, people always misquote Star Wars.

TGM 02-10-08 08:54 PM

"You can't handle the truth!"

barf.

ukywyldcat 02-10-08 09:03 PM

Yippie Ki Yay Mother Fucker. Or however that dumbass quote is spelled.

Arpeggi 02-10-08 09:18 PM

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Rockmjd23 02-10-08 09:19 PM

oooh bad timing ^^^^

Superboy 02-10-08 09:27 PM

Lines in movies are only iconic because they reflect the overall memorability of the film, and they don't necessarily in and of themselves have to be witting or memorable.

GoldenJCJ 02-10-08 09:34 PM

Pretty much anything from Forrest Gump. Particularly:

"Stupid is as stupid does"

and

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gunna get."

Brack 02-10-08 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Superboy
Lines in movies are only iconic because they reflect the overall memorability of the film, and they don't necessarily in and of themselves have to be witting or memorable.

QFT. I don't exactly understand how a line can be overrated anyway. It's just a line!

Arpeggi 02-10-08 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
oooh bad timing ^^^^

:shrug:

dom56 02-10-08 11:27 PM

"I'm flying, Jack."