Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

possible Arrested Development movie in the works

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

possible Arrested Development movie in the works

Old 02-05-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
Very well indeed. Jdpatri has the post of the week so far!
When does voting end? Do I get a plaque? I've got some space on my wall next to all the other plaques I imagine I won.
Old 02-05-08, 05:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpatri
the ratings and vote totals from TV shows on IMDB:
Strangers with Candy: 8.3, 783 votes
Firefly: 9.5, 17,334 votes
Aqua Teen Hunger Force: 8.9, 3,035 votes
Arrested Development: 9.7, 22,005 votes
Those numbers show why SwC and ATHF shouldn't even be mentioned in this argument. I'm not saying they're not great shows, but they make an insignificant blip on cultural awareness. No one in the real world knows anything about those shows, they're nothing.

Firefly is a little more popular, sci-fi has a rabid fan base. But AD is still in an entirely different league than Firefly.

Heck, I loved Serenity and watched some Firefly, but I couldn't name one actor on the show. And I'm a sci-fi geek that hangs out on dvdtalk! The general public has no connection with Firefly whatsoever.

Arrested Development on the other hand, has pretty big name recognition. Everyone knows Ron Howard; and almost everyone knows Michael Cera and Jason Bateman. Jeffrey Tambor, Will Arnett, David Cross, Portia de Rosa, and Jessica Walter aren't slouches either. I knew of all of them before the series started, and most of the public will have at least some familiarity with most of the cast.

So I'm not saying that the movie will be successful, but comparing it's chances to those shows/movies is huge apples and tiny oranges.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-05-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 05:34 PM

When does voting end? Do I get a plaque? I've got some space on my wall next to all the other plaques I imagine I won.
It ended at noon yesterday, you won! Paypal me $7.95 for shipping and I'll send you the receipt for my extra large value meal plaque right away.
Old 02-05-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Someone listed all of those celebs from AD eps and didn't mention Carl Weathers? WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!?

Baby, you got a stew goin!
Old 02-05-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture
The fact of the matter is, movies based on TV shows are a risky proposition at best. In order for them to succeed, I think the show has to be a cultural phenomenon--like The X-Files, The Simpsons, Star Trek--something that is so popular and recognizable that even people who rarely watch TV are aware of what the show is and have a general understanding of it. I can't think of many exceptions to this rule.
You may be right, sadly. The only exception that comes to mind is The Naked Gun.

Still, I'd at least like to see them do it. It would do okay on video if not in theaters.
Old 02-06-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it's interesting to see how people will rationalize how well a property they love will do because of whatever factors they can come up with.. big names/it's a comedy and they sell better/etc. (this isn't a slam, I do this myself!). Maybe it's just my let-down that was "Serenity" that's tainted me. Myself and many others talked about how well it would do because of this or that... and while it didn't bomb, I doubt we'll be seeing a sequal anytime soon. Okay, anytime. I think an AD movie would do maybe a little better, but it wouldn't set the entertainment industry on fire or anything.

Anyway, I think I lost my point. lol People will try to rationalize anything to their desired outcome. But I guess in the end, it's all speculation.
Old 02-06-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 443 Likes on 319 Posts
Exactly. While I would love to see AD hit the big screen I have no delusions of it succeeding. It will probably fail, big.
Old 02-06-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Someone listed all of those celebs from AD eps and didn't mention Carl Weathers? WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!?

Baby, you got a stew goin!
Crap. How could I forget Carl Weathers? I remembered Ione Skye but forgot Carl Weathers. I'm ashamed.
Old 02-06-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by reverie
I think it's interesting to see how people will rationalize how well a property they love will do because of whatever factors they can come up with.. big names/it's a comedy and they sell better/etc. (this isn't a slam, I do this myself!). Maybe it's just my let-down that was "Serenity" that's tainted me. Myself and many others talked about how well it would do because of this or that... and while it didn't bomb, I doubt we'll be seeing a sequal anytime soon. Okay, anytime. I think an AD movie would do maybe a little better, but it wouldn't set the entertainment industry on fire or anything.

Anyway, I think I lost my point. lol People will try to rationalize anything to their desired outcome. But I guess in the end, it's all speculation.

Dammit man. Don't ruin our dreams. All we have is our delusions.
Old 02-06-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 334 Posts
Crap. How could I forget Carl Weathers? I remembered Ione Skye but forgot Carl Weathers. I'm ashamed.
You should be. Let that stew for a while.
Old 02-06-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
not following?

-NiCK

Action! - the Jay Mohr TV show that lasted less than one season but had very good critical acclaim and a big cult following and is also regarded as a TV show ahead of its time, also used the beeping expletives during prime time network TV.
Old 02-06-08, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Action! - the Jay Mohr TV show that lasted less than one season but had very good critical acclaim and a big cult following and is also regarded as a TV show ahead of its time, also used the beeping expletives during prime time network TV.
Thanks for the explanation, but I think you missed his joke/AD line.
Old 02-06-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the explanation, but I think you missed his joke/AD line.

lol, i did.
Old 02-06-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

People need to put this in perspective: For an AD movie to fail it will probably have to make less than ten million dollars at the box office*, and I don't see that happening. An AD movie will come in at a much smaller scale than any of the properties you can come up with to compare it to, being a digital-shot show with few sets and no need for grandeur and a larger audience than the budget-comparable Strangers With Candy. This isn't a rationalization, it makes pretty simple sense. It's not like I expect an AD movie to set the box office on fire, I expect it to be capable of making its money back and then turning a small profit, which presuming the budget is not very high, could be very easy. I don't expect it to open at number one or anything.

And that's the difference between AD and Firefly. People wanted Firefly to be a domestic and international success that led to more pictures. It had to be a blockbuster. An AD movie is an AD movie and it doesn't necessarily have to lead into anything, nor is it being positioned to be the new "Star Wars" or something.

*To explain: I mean I think the AD movie is capable of leaving the box office with a ten million theatrical run, not that it will easily top or make more than ten million dollars. I would say at most in a four-to-five week run it could make $15m, but I expect its budget will be less than $8m.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 02-06-08 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-06-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
*To explain: I mean I think the AD movie is capable of leaving the box office with a ten million theatrical run, not that it will easily top or make more than ten million dollars. I would say at most in a four-to-five week run it could make $15m, but I expect its budget will be less than $8m.
I think I remember reading that the AD weekly budget was quite high for a comedy, so a film may run quite a bit higher than $8m(especially with rising salaries compared to their show salaries). I also think it wouldn't touch the $10m mark domestically.

We have a case of the vocal minority skewing reality. Reality is, this show was on for three years, for free-mind you, and people didn't watch it. Ignore attracting a new audience(ain't gonna happen), I bet the majority of weekly viewers/fans wouldn't even show up for $10 a ticket.

I'm usually a 'glass half full' person, but this has bomb written all over it. I'm more than willing to eat my words, hell I'd love to see it take off so we can get more AD anyway we can. I just don't see it happening.
Old 02-06-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 334 Posts
I think it'd do around $25m domestically. It all depends on the advertising.
Old 02-06-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm usually a 'glass half full' person, but this has bomb written all over it. I'm more than willing to eat my words, hell I'd love to see it take off so we can get more AD anyway we can. I just don't see it happening.
Whatever, you just don't want to take 82 more screencaps...
Old 02-06-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
Whatever, you just don't want to take 82 more screencaps...

Did you actually count them?
Old 02-06-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-06-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heck, I loved Serenity and watched some Firefly, but I couldn't name one actor on the show. And I'm a sci-fi geek that hangs out on dvdtalk! The general public has no connection with Firefly whatsoever.
While I agree with your assessment that the general public has no connection to Firefly, I feel the need to call you out on your self-proclaimed "sci-fi geek" status.

Nathan Fillion?
Adam Baldwin?
Summer Glau?
Jewel Staite?
Alan Tudyk?

I will admit, granted, that I do not recall who played Inara, Book, the doctor, or the woman from season four of Angel, but still...

And all this coming from a guy who has yet to see a full episode of the show.
Old 02-06-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
While I agree with your assessment that the general public has no connection to Firefly, I feel the need to call you out on your self-proclaimed "sci-fi geek" status.

Nathan Fillion?
Adam Baldwin?
Summer Glau?
Jewel Staite?
Alan Tudyk?

I will admit, granted, that I do not recall who played Inara, Book, the doctor, or the woman from season four of Angel, but still...

If you asked me before I watched Firefly who any of those people were I wouldn't have able to. Adam Baldwin is the least famous of that whole group and I could never picture him. Nathan Fillion I didn't know. Summer Glau I didn't know. Alan Tudyk I would of known. And who is Jewel Staite? I barely even recognized any of these people when I first started watching.

Now Jason Bateman was big in the 80's and is making one hell of a comeback. Michael Cera since AD has stared in two $100 million movies. David Cross was in Mr. Show and has been in many movies. Jeffrey Tambor has been around forever including a prime role on The Larry Sanders Show. Will Arnet has made a few movies (a couple bombs and the role of the bad guy in Blades of Glory).

I love Firefly, but AD was more popular and will be a bigger movie
Old 02-06-08, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt

Nathan Fillion?
Adam Baldwin?
Summer Glau?
Jewel Staite?
Alan Tudyk?

Maybe not a sci-fi geek by modern fandom's definition, but most of the world would likely call me one. I've been to conventions, Trek is perhaps my favorite show, have "action figures", etc

But I've never heard of any of those actors (except that I imagine Baldwin is one of the Baldwin brothers?). I recognize a couple of their faces now that I'm looking them up on IMDB. Alan was great in Death at a Funeral. But seriously, I'd be surprised if even 1% of this forum recognize any of their names. And the general population would be a scant percentage of that. Oh wait, I see you already agree with my point there.

But yeah, maybe I'm more a used-to-be sci-fi geek, haven't watched much sci-fi TV the past 5 years.
Old 02-06-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Did you actually count them?
What am I missing here?
Old 02-06-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of that list I know the following by name:

Nathan Fillion
Adam Baldwin
Alan Tudyk

The only reason I know Adam Baldwin (he's not a Baldwin brother) is because he's the voice of Superman in the recently released Doomsday animated flick. Off the top of my head I know Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk both by name and when I see them - Fillion because of Slither and Waitress, Tudyk because of I, Robot, Arrested Development (yep, he was on there also for an episode or two as Pastor Veal, Ann's father), Death at a Funeral, and 3:10 to Yuma.

I'd know Fallion and Tudyk by now even without Firefly/Serenity.

There's far more recognizable box office draws on Arrested Development, in the Bluth family alone. I'm not even sure why that's even a question. Not to mention how many more we could name if we consider supporting players that showed up from time to time on the show. I wouldn't want a bunch of them in the movie, but there would be room for a few depending on the plot.
Old 02-06-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
Now Jason Bateman was big in the 80's and is making one hell of a comeback. Michael Cera since AD has stared in two $100 million movies. David Cross was in Mr. Show and has been in many movies. Jeffrey Tambor has been around forever including a prime role on The Larry Sanders Show. Will Arnet has made a few movies (a couple bombs and the role of the bad guy in Blades of Glory).

I love Firefly, but AD was more popular and will be a bigger movie
But the problem is, none of those people can be depended upon by the studio to bring in giant amounts of cash. Bateman is on a comeback, yes, but all he's done since AD is supporting roles or cameos; the one time he was a lead was in The Ex, a horrible piece of shit that died a justifiable death at the box office. Cera was in the money machines known as Superbad and Juno, but you'd have to be out of your mind to think people went primarily because he was in those movies. Tambor, Arnett and David Cross are basically "Hey, it's that one guy!" actors.

All of which doesn't leave Fox with a whole lot to sell to general audiences, many of whom, it's been pointed out, didn't even bother with the show when it was free. Which is why direct-to-DVD is the best choice; Fox doesn't have to pay for prints, and can significantly reduce their advertising budget and concentrate on spreading word across the Internet, which I'm willing to bet 99% of the show's fans use regularly.

If AD becomes a theatrical movie, then great, I'll be there opening day with ticket in hand. But anybody thinking this is going to a big (or even moderate) hit is deluding themselves. For every movie based on a cult item that's a hit, like The Fugitive, Borat, Jackass or The Naked Gun, there's many more that are bombs. Just to list them (some again):

Aeon Flux
Ali G Indahouse
Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Colon Movie...
Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
Pootie Tang [The Chris Rock Show]
Reno 911!: Miami
Run Ronnie Run! [Mr. Show]
Serenity
Strangers with Candy: The Movie
Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny

And of course the numerous SNL failures (The Ladies' Man, Coneheads, Superstar, It's Pat, Stuart Saves His Family, and the king of them all, Office Space).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.