Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sorry guys but lets faze it. Blade Runner is simply a poor movie.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sorry guys but lets faze it. Blade Runner is simply a poor movie.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OutRun2
As a sci-fi movie that has been labeled iconic, The Terminator, AI, Minority Report and Face/Off kick the shit out of Blade Runner.
Watch it again, its a fantastic movie that you probably just haven't given a fair shot.
Old 02-01-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Compared to AI, Minority Report and Face/Off! Blade Runner is the best movie ever!

Just Faze it!
Old 02-01-08, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
I'm 25, born in 1982 and I love all of those movies as the classics they are. Good movies are good movies, and I don't think Blade Runner, Rocky or Close Encounters have aged poorly at all. I just think the tastes of the so-called "MTV Generation" are piss poor as a result of the fact that they've been conditioned to need an action set piece every ten minutes or their aderol starts to fail.

-Doc
Like I posted before on another thread I gave this lady friend of mine of James Dean's REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE for her teenage son & daughter to watch with their friends over the weekend. The teenagers were bored and shut off the dvd and went outside. And I then i gave her a copy of Bela Lugusi's 1930 classic DRACULA for her 2nd grader to watch and thought it was boring. Although he did enjoy KING KONG vs. GODZILLA, but she said he was rolling around laughing at it. So I understand why today's MTV generation when they don't like BLADE RUNNER. Also E.T. on dvd didn't sell well.
Old 02-01-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Face/Off?

If I hadn't read the thread title or the rest of the original post I would say that that was the point where the OP went off the deep end.
Old 02-01-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
You know the irony is:

Most people in 1982 would've probably agreed with you that it sucked.
Old 02-01-08, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I had been allowed to watch in 1982 after following it in Starlog in late 1981. I was 11.
Old 02-01-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OutRun2
AI, Minority Report and Face/Off kick the shit out of Blade Runner.
Wha...bu...but...what...how...WHY???

Spoiler:
Old 02-01-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can understand the fact that Blade Runner is a polarizing movie, some find it fascinating and influential while others may find it boring and pretentious. But the topic title states this hatred as fact, and opinions are not facts.
Old 02-01-08, 08:39 PM

I'm glad i'm not alone. I have watched this movie 5 or 6 times since joining this forum. I keep trying to see what everyone sees in it but I cannot. I gave up on Blade Runner. I really wanted to like it.
Old 02-01-08, 09:14 PM

Alright guys two things I would like to retract and agree I went overboard on.

1)Calling it "poor" was a bit extreme, and I will say it is overrated. Because of the groundbreaking cinematography it still gets a few points.

2)Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned Face/Off, that was a bit much Maybe because I watched them both back to back and enjoyed the latter more.

Originally Posted by Nuff
Watch it again, its a fantastic movie that you probably just haven't given a fair shot.
Yeah, you may be right. I'll watch the theatrical cut and see if I enjoy it more upon a second viewing.

Originally Posted by wm lopez
The problem here about the comments of why you didn't like BLADE RUNNER is that you didn't see it in 1982.

You would have a good point, except for the fact that I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last week for the first time and absolutely LOVED it. Now that is an iconic film!
Old 02-01-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
There's your problem. I thought Blade Runner was overrated as well the first time I saw it. Now it's one of my all time favorites. Watch the documentaries, listen to the commentaries, and check out the European Theatrical Cut. Then let it sit and percolate. Go back and watch the Final Cut in a month or so.
I'll have to agree with this. Saw it for the first time and wasn't terrible impressed. After repeat viewings it grew on me. One of those flicks that just doesn't really "hit" you until the second or third time.
Old 02-01-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
You know the irony is:

Most people in 1982 would've probably agreed with you that it sucked.
Yep.
Old 02-01-08, 11:54 PM

Blade Runner is WAY better than all the movies the OP stated. Actually, the movies listed are very mediocre compared to Sci-Fi classics like Blade Runner, 2001, or Contact (as well as many others). I think the OP is confusing Sci-fi with action. The only movie listed I would even consider Sci-Fi is AI, and Spielberg ruined it.
Old 02-02-08, 12:19 AM
Banned

I dont what genre they are I would take 1 Minority Report over Blade Runner, 2001 AND Contact.
Old 02-02-08, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
I can understand the fact that Blade Runner is a polarizing movie, some find it fascinating and influential while others may find it boring and pretentious.
Well said. I fall under the latter for the record.

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
So... just to be clear... rather than watching Deckard come to terms with his humanity (or lack thereof) and struggle with the philosophical trueisms of purpose, responsibility of creation, and if artificial life has any less a claim on living than do full-fledged humans...
All valid points but I can read a book about similar topics and be educated or fascinated, while watching a film I hope to be entertained during the process as well. To me, the film used the special effects to help carry the movie for a good majority of it only to come across as pretentious with all the unanswered questions for such a disengaging film. It may have looked pretty when it debuted but now it's nothing special in that regard and the story overall is lacking despite some interesting concepts that arise along the way. IMHO.
Old 02-02-08, 12:44 AM

Minority Report is a very bad adaptation. The book is riviting sci-fi, but the movie is just an action movie. Blade Runner took me years to understand, but everything within the movie (the script, sounds, music, colors, light, everything) ads to the story, and without one of aspect of the movie, it would not be complete. Ridley Scott knew what he was doing because every aspect of the movie is vital to the movie. Not many movies are like that. Minority Report certainly is not one.
Old 02-02-08, 03:09 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think a lot of people are severely underrating Minority Report, which is easily one of Spielberg's best films and the best speculative fiction piece he ever made.

Also, I'm not sure where the "you didn't see it in 1982" comments come from. I wasn't alive in 1982 and Blade Runner is one of my favorite films. 2001 is my all time favorite film. I find the original King Kong to be incredibly engaging (just using that since someone brought it up earlier). A great film outlasts the time period from whence it came.
Old 02-02-08, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You spelled Face Faze... That alone makes you too stupid to ever speak about how good or bad blade runner is.
Old 02-02-08, 05:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You spelled Face Faze... That alone makes you too stupid to ever speak about how good or bad blade runner is.
Mod note: I know I'm not a mod of this forum, but these type of comments are uncalled for.
Old 02-02-08, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Faze/Off sucks.
Aliens>Blade Runner
Blade Runner>You

Last edited by Mercury&Solace; 02-02-08 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-02-08, 05:26 AM

What's with the Ridley Scout thing? Are trying to mock him or something?
Old 02-02-08, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well, if the "faze it" part is any indication, they are either 12 year olds on the internet trying to be cool or... well.. that's really the only thing I can think of.

And here I thought Shamalamadingdong instead of m. night shyamalan was the ultimate in coolness.

I know I'm not a mod of this forum, but these type of comments are uncalled for.
Yeah, it was a little over the bounds of personal name slinging, but come on. This thread should be flagged for basic trolling the boards to get a rise out of people. What good could come of this thread when the topic is started off like that.
Old 02-02-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Even worse than "overrating" a movie is overrating your own opinion.
Old 02-02-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelowry
What's with the Ridley Scout thing? Are trying to mock him or something?
Nevermind that, what about Riddler!?

"While the Riddler was consentrating..."
Old 02-02-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
But as a film being "simple" .. not sure about that. Five different cuts might indicate otherwise. It is simple in it's approach and narrative, but what makes the film so great are the many unseen layers that the viewer leaves with - or should.
The basic plot IS simple. Deceptively simple. Kurosawa-esque simple. In other words, the basic plot can be summed up in one sentence. All the other things - the fine details that are worked in to that plot - are much more complex and add those layers to the movie.

Which is why this is one of those movies that is hard to judge on the first viewing.

I still don't think it's quite as good as its reputation (which usually puts it among the greatest films ever made), but I think it is a very, very good movie. That's just my take after seeing it 3 times in 20 years. Who knows, 3 more viewings over the next 20 years and I may be in the, "It's one of the greatest films ever made," camp.

As it stands now I don't think it's an overstatement in the slightest to say it was one of the most iconic, groundbreaking, and important films of the 80's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.