Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seantn
I never expected Craven to have any involvement with the new one, seeing as how he barely was involved with the series after part 1. He wrote an early draft of part 3 which was largely re-written, and then of course he did "New Nightmare", but other than that he was absent.
I guess it was just wishful thinking of my part. Craven did such an excellent job breathing new life into the franchise with New Nightmare after all of the horrible sequels that I was hoping he'd participate on some level in the remake, thus possibly saving it from total crapitude.
Old 08-25-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
OK, maybe I'm in the minority here and just don't realize it. People actually liked New Nightmare?
Old 08-25-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I guess it was just wishful thinking of my part. Craven did such an excellent job turning the series into complete horseshit with New Nightmare after all of the horrible sequels that I was hoping he'd participate on some level in the remake, thus possibly saving it from total crapitude.
Sorry, but New Nightmare is god awful. It's practically unwatchable. The storyline is horrendous, the acting (Bob Shaye?!?) is laughable and the concept, while I applaud it for trying something new, just doesn't work. I went through all of the NoeS films a couple years ago and I couldn't even make it through this one. Not that 5 and 6 were much better. My point being this: keep Craven and anyone else involved in the prior productions away from it and do it completely from scratch. I hate the idea of this series getting a reboot as much as anyone else, but if they're going to do it at least sever all ties to the previous films.
Old 08-25-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Sorry, but New Nightmare is god awful. It's practically unwatchable. The storyline is horrendous, the acting (Bob Shaye?!?) is laughable and the concept, while I applaud it for trying something new, just doesn't work.

Alright, that's pretty much the way I thought.
Old 08-25-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Sorry, but New Nightmare is god awful. It's practically unwatchable. The storyline is horrendous, the acting (Bob Shaye?!?) is laughable and the concept, while I applaud it for trying something new, just doesn't work.
How is the acting any worse than any other film in the series? Freddy is pure evil in this one - none of the idiotic one liners, and a genuinely frightening appearance. The concept for the film may not be completely successful, but at least it was interesting and different.
Old 08-26-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree about New Nightmare. I thought it was good. Bob Shaye is no award winning actor, but he's no worse than some of the so called "acting" in most teen slasher flicks.. I consider the only good Nightmare films to be Part 1, Part 3, and New Nightmare, probably in that order as well.
Old 08-26-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
I consider the only good Nightmare films to be Part 1, Part 3, and New Nightmare, probably in that order as well.
You're not fascinated by the homoerotic subtext of Part II?

Old 08-26-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The part where the lead guy screams like a girl at the top of his lungs in part II is pretty hilarious, I'll give you that!

It's at 1:47 in this video I found on YouTube

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-M_s2Q9k0M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-M_s2Q9k0M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Seantn; 08-26-08 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-12-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Confirmed

As usual, direct links to Shock Till You Drop are truncated.
Old 12-12-08, 04:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
^^^ the link didn't take me anywhere.
Old 12-12-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
^^^ the link didn't take me anywhere.
Should be fixed, linked to Slashfilm instead of Shock.
Old 12-12-08, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im voting Crispin Glover for the new Freddy! What do you guys think. Hes got the look and he can act. If you've seen Willard he was pretty freaking in that. Besides they have to cast someone a lil younger considering they will be making more sequels from this new one.
Old 12-12-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Crispin Glover isn't a bad choice, though I think I might prefer DJ Qualls in the role of Freddie.
Old 12-12-08, 07:20 PM

Crispin Glover is scary just being himself.
Old 12-12-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
Crispin Glover is scary just being himself.
Ha. I've met him once and he's very well spoken, polite, but still very odd.
Old 12-13-08, 03:50 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Robert Englunds gotta be a lock for some kind of cameo

The first original Elm st still holds up well today as a slasher. Before he became a wisecracking joke, he really was terrifying in the first couple of movies
Old 12-13-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the odd fascination with Crispin Glover.

First Joker, now this.

The guy sucks. He can't act. Plain and simple.
Old 12-13-08, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
The first original Elm st still holds up well today as a slasher. Before he became a wisecracking joke, he really was terrifying in the first couple of movies
he became the James Bond of horror.
Old 02-11-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street about to become A Nightmare on Remake Row

Platinum Dunes just hired Samuel Bayer, a music video director, to helm this remake.

http://www.riskybusinessblog.com/200...lm-street.html

With Jason poised to make his return to the big screen this weekend, Freddy Krueger may not be far behind.

Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes and New Line have hired a director for the reboot of "Nightmare on Elm Street," bringing on Samuel Bayer to direct the reimagining of the Wes Craven classic.

Bayer, for the uninitiated, is a sought-after director whose best-known work is in commercials and music videos; he's won best director at MTV's VMAs and is responsible for a host of iconic videos, including Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Blind Melon's video for "No Rain," featuring the famous girl in a bumblebee costume.

Endeavor reps Bayer, whom a number of film producers have long wanted to work with. The director is also signed on to "Fiasco Heights," a thriller Platinum Dunes is producing for Universal.

Platinum Dunes' Brad Fuller and Andrew Form are joining Bay in producing "Nightmare," which this year hits its 25th anniversary.

Unlike other reboots of classic horror franchises, which synthesize plotlines from several films, this one, insiders said, will feature a strong element of the first picture, in which Krueger famously began haunting teenagers' dreams, attacking them violently in their subconscious in ways that resulted in their real-life deaths.

Wesley Strick, who was previously behind such chill fests as "Cape Fear" and "Arachnophobia" was previously announced to write.

Fans have been following every move of the new Krueger closely. They'll now no doubt be YouTubing plenty of music videos for clues as to what he has in mind.

Old 02-11-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keep in mind he was also pegged for the now thankfully (un)dead Near Dark remake.
Old 02-11-09, 09:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait, you're saying that the remake of A Nightmare On Elm St is going to focus on the fact that Freddy attacks people in their dreams? How provocative!
Old 02-11-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Yeah, the article's wording is really silly but I guess their point is that they want Freddy to be scary rather than funny in the remake.

As good as the first was, I don't think Freddy was ever scary but rather cool and twisted. But later sequels did turn him into a goofball. New Nightmare tried to make Freddy creepy and scary. It worked until Freddy finally showed up during the final act. I felt the build up was creepy but the moment Freddy showed up the movie turned into a steaming pile of crap.
Old 02-11-09, 11:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree, I think New Nightmare worked all the way through and is not just my favorite Nightmare film, but my favorite Wes Craven film.
Old 02-11-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Like I said, I enjoyed it 'til Freddy appeared. It really had this great creepy vibe and was on its way to be the absolute best in the series. And it was until Freddy makes his grand entrance. I just felt that when he finally showed up, everything that happened and everything he did was anticlimactic.
Old 02-12-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Like I said, I enjoyed it 'til Freddy appeared. It really had this great creepy vibe and was on its way to be the absolute best in the series. And it was until Freddy makes his grand entrance. I just felt that when he finally showed up, everything that happened and everything he did was anticlimactic.
That was always my problem with New Nightmare as well. Freddy was pretty creepy for nearly the whole movie. Then when they get into his world, it just got dumb. Freddy acted like an idiot, and kind of wimpy. And the crappy visual effects didn't help either.

For the record, I'm not too excited about the Nightmare remake either. I think it worked with Jason and Leatherface because we're so used to seeing different people playing them anyway. The remakes could have been tweaked slightly to be sequels. But to recast Robert Englund, who IS Freddy Krueger... it just wouldn't work.

However, we can bitch all we want... they're remaking it with our without or consent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.