Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name This Looney Tune Cartoon Please

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if this is where this belongs, but anyway...

This particular cartoon is an Invasion of the Body Snatchers parody where Bugs Bunny is seeing robots of everyone like Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam.

I think it might be called Invasion of the Carrot Pods or something like that. Anyway, is this cartoon on any of the Golden Collection sets?
Old 01-21-08, 09:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

"Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers"
Old 01-21-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you!

I knew I had that on one of the Looney Tunes DVDs I have, it was on Space Jam
Old 01-22-08, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
I think maybe that guy wants a 2-DVD-set with all the "Modern Looney Tunes Shorts" from 1987 to 2004.
Old 01-22-08, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
That disc is abysmal. Looking at your link I can't believe Chuck Jones was iinvolved in any of it.
Old 01-22-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they would do something good with the Looney Tunes characters. The movies with the live action actors didn't work, and a large part of that is that the energy is too hard to maintain for feature length.

If they started getting directors and writers to make new shorts, and then they attached them to prints of Warner movies, that would probably attract people to the theaters and reinvigorate the merchandising of the properties.

I'm sure Joe Dante would jump at the chance, Trey Parker and Matt Stone would probably want to do a couple, and there are all kinds of creative folks from the Simpsons who could make interesting Daffy Duck shorts. Maybe they could even get somebody like Brad Bird to do one or two.

They've got a decent voice cast in the "modern" shorts; apparently, if you get the right six or seven guys, they can do Mel Blanc's job. But they have not really replaced Jones or Freleng or Clampett or McKimson, and they are writing the stuff more for children now. They should think of Bugs as being more like Homer Simpson and less like Elmo.
Old 01-22-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree. Looney Tunes has gone to waste in the past decade. Not sure how I would like different directors tackling it as Looney Tunes needs a certain look and feel, and having a mess of people putting their hands in it can't work all that well. Just look at Stranger than Fiction or the Reality Check. I guess it can't get much worse than those though.

Warner is in dire need of a John Lasseter who knows and has a genuine passion for the material who can revive the Looney troupe ala the new Disney shorts.
Old 01-22-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I think maybe that guy wants a 2-DVD-set with all the "Modern Looney Tunes Shorts" from 1987 to 2004.
He's like a Looney Tunes spambot.
Old 01-22-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
It would be nice to see this franchise revived. Talk about a wasted goldmine.

The creative team behind Disney's The Emperor's New Groove would be my vote for people that "get it" as far as the Looney Tunes brand of humor. Probably the most I've ever laughed during an animated film.

My thought is a revival is never going to happen. Unfortunately, the characters are not politically correct in this day and age. You have Elmer Fudd and Porky Pig with speech impediments. You also have hypersensitive parent groups that think their kids are too dumb to know that dynamite and shotguns are dangerous. So that eliminates about 90% of any possible stories.
Old 01-22-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rennervision
My thought is a revival is never going to happen. Unfortunately, the characters are not politically correct in this day and age. You have Elmer Fudd and Porky Pig with speech impediments. You also have hypersensitive parent groups that think their kids are too dumb to know that dynamite and shotguns are dangerous. So that eliminates about 90% of any possible stories.
Unfortunately you are probably right. After all, we are living in a world where Cookie Monster doesn't eat cookies.
Old 01-22-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision
It would be nice to see this franchise revived. Talk about a wasted goldmine.

The creative team behind Disney's The Emperor's New Groove would be my vote for people that "get it" as far as the Looney Tunes brand of humor. Probably the most I've ever laughed during an animated film.

I don't think they need to revive it for marketing to children. The original shorts were attached to Warner features, and were intended for adults, which is why there are various edits made to versions shown on Nick or on Saturday morning, and why a lot of the cartoons are not in that circulation. They put content warnings on the "Golden Collections."

The Looney Tunes characters were always meaner, more violent, and more selfish than the Disney characters, and they're more analogous to the Simpsons or the South Park of their day. There's no reason why you can't make a cartoon short with content appropriate to attach to a PG-13 feature. If your intended audience is a six year-old, you're not going to make a very good cartoon.

Personally, I think a perfect modern Looney Tunes joke would have a guest appearance by Ice Cube and involve Elmer Fudd mistaking the rap group NWA for the NRA ("Isn't this the National Wifle Association meeting?").

Or Daffy Duck scheming to get adopted by Angelina Jolie.

Or Yosemite Sam as a terrorist. ("I'm Yosemite Ahmed, the rootin-est, tootin-est explodin-est suicide bomber west of Peshawar!" "Well, go ahead and blow up already. I'm sick of hearin' ya yap about it.")

Or the Coyote finally suing the Acme Corporation. ("Can you please state your name for the record?" "Meep." "And describe your relationship with the plaintiff." "Meep Meep." "Your Honor, permission to treat this witness as hostile?")

Or an amorous Elmer topping off an afternoon of hunting with an internet date, and ending up going out with a vengeful Bugs Bunny in drag. ("You're much pwettier than your picture on MySpace. Huh huh huh huh huh.")

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 01-22-08 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
I don't think they need to revive it for marketing to children. The original shorts were attached to Warner features, and were intended for adults, which is why there are various edits made to versions shown on Nick or on Saturday morning, and why a lot of the cartoons are not in that circulation. They put content warnings on the "Golden Collections."

Or Yosemite Sam as a terrorist. ("I'm Yosemite Ahmed, the rootin-est, tootin-est explodin-est suicide bomber west of Peshawar!" "Well, go ahead and blow up already. I'm sick of hearin' ya yap about it.")
To be fair Marvin Martian already has the terrorist angle covered.

The originals were intended for adults but that was 50 years ago. Having run on kids networks for the past 30 years has watered them down. It would be hard to go back to edgy/South Park levels at this point.
Old 01-22-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
To be fair Marvin Martian already has the terrorist angle covered.

The originals were intended for adults but that was 50 years ago. Having run on kids networks for the past 30 years has watered them down. It would be hard to go back to edgy/South Park levels at this point.
Well, the Looney Tunes feature was packaged for kids and it was a flop, and the Golden Collection sets seem to be marketed to adults and they are doing very well.

"The Simpsons Movie" did really well as an animated feature despite being a PG-13 film.

Nobody is going to plug a half-hour of cartoon shorts into a television time-slot, but attaching them to theatrical prints would free them up creatively, since they could attach racier material to PG-13 or R-rated films, and online distribution and DVD collections would offer a viable continuing revenue stream from these cartoons, plus, they could prepare a short for contention in the Best Animated Short Oscar category (which has been dominated by Pixar), and attach it to an Oscar-contender feature.
Old 01-22-08, 03:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
That disc is abysmal. Looking at your link I can't believe Chuck Jones was iinvolved in any of it.
I have no clue.
Old 01-22-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Not sure where you are seeing Chuck Jones....
Old 01-22-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Not sure where you are seeing Chuck Jones....
I'm an idiot. I was looking at the list posted under the item. I didn't realize that was a review and not the description.