Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Film Posters thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Film Posters thread

Old 09-27-22, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
re: The Film Posters thread

Any recommendations on what to look for with custom framing? The only light that gets in my theater is the projector, so I知 not worried about getting top grade UV glass. I知 thinking more along the lines of the autograph sticking to the glass over time or the mat bleeding into the poster.

Old 09-27-22, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,153 Posts

The mat should prevent the autograph and the poster itself from sticking to the glass.

I don't think the mat bleeding onto the print would be an issue. I think that even the most basic matboards are buffered to a neutral pH (like an "acid free" comic book board), and it would probably take a very long time before it discolored the print.

I think that most of the plexiglass they use for framing now is UV protected, but, from what I understand, the protection it offers is limited, so even if you have UV plexiglass, you still wouldn't want to put a print in direct sunlight or fluorescent lights. But if you're putting in a dark home theater, UV fading shouldn't be an issue.

Since it's an autographed $2000 print, your framer will probably push you to use the best materials they have for archival purposes.

And don't go to places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby, find a professional framer for something valuable. Places like that specialize in framing ten dollar posters in five hundred dollar frames.

Being a card guy, this video will probably make your skin crawl and warn you away from places like that...

Though, apparently, this guy wanted his cards directly glued down, which sort of baffles me. That's a really rare card set, and he's effectively having them destroyed to put them in frame to hang on a wall. Were I a framer, I would have strongly advised against that. At least put them in top loaders or sleeves first.

And that set is worth a lot more than $800 today; I think they go for about three or four times that now.

The following users liked this post:
John Galt (09-27-22)
Old 09-27-22, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The mat should prevent the autograph and the poster itself from sticking to the glass.

I don't think the mat bleeding onto the print would be an issue. I think that even the most basic matboards are buffered to a neutral pH (like an "acid free" comic book board), and it would probably take a very long time before it discolored the print.

I think that most of the plexiglass they use for framing now is UV protected, but, from what I understand, the protection it offers is limited, so even if you have UV plexiglass, you still wouldn't want to put a print in direct sunlight or fluorescent lights. But if you're putting in a dark home theater, UV fading shouldn't be an issue.

Since it's an autographed $2000 print, your framer will probably push you to use the best materials they have for archival purposes.

And don't go to places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby, find a professional framer for something valuable. Places like that specialize in framing ten dollar posters in five hundred dollar frames.
Michael's is actually who I get all my framing done through. But we've used the same person for 20 years and she treats everything like her own and does a great job with her craft. I just have to be specific with what I want to make sure that's what I get, she's not the type who's going to know what to do with high end collectibles that might sit in one of these frames for a few decades. I stopped by there shortly after posting this and alas, she no longer works there.

They did give me a quote of around $200 for a 27x40 frame with anti reflective glass and no mat. This is after 70% off, which I'm sure they ridiculously mark up to account for everyone using their coupons. I've just never used custom framers to know what type of cost to expect.

I like the look of not using a mat, and it keeps costs down so that's a plus. I just don't know if that puts the poster at greater risk over time.

Being a card guy, this video will probably make your skin crawl and warn you away from places like that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kth_qcYqU

Though, apparently, this guy wanted his cards directly glued down, which sort of baffles me. That's a really rare card set, and he's effectively having them destroyed to put them in frame to hang on a wall. Were I a framer, I would have strongly advised against that. At least put them in top loaders or sleeves first.

And that set is worth a lot more than $800 today; I think they go for about three or four times that now.
I remember buying a shit ton of these cards back when I was a kid. Pretty sure I just dumped the whole collection at a flea market a couple years later for probably next to nothing.
Old 09-27-22, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kth_qcYqU

Gem Mint is awesome. I subscribe to his channel. "Stay minty fresh, peeeeeace!"
Old 09-27-22, 08:21 PM

Received 390 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Any recommendations on what to look for with custom framing? The only light that gets in my theater is the projector, so I知 not worried about getting top grade UV glass. I知 thinking more along the lines of the autograph sticking to the glass over time or the mat bleeding into the poster.
I've never framed my autographs. But everyone I know with really expensive pieces always says to use a mat because you don't want the autograph pressed up against the glass. When autograph stores sell framed items, it's always matted (even the inexpensive stuff).

If you're on Facebook, check out Real Autograph Collectors Club (RACC) and Autographs 101. There's a lot of major collectors in those groups. They can give you some good advice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/real...ollectorsclub/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Autographs101/
Old 10-05-22, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else collect AMPs from galleries like Mondo, Bottleneck, Spoke Art, etc?

Some of my favorites that I have.

Full Metal Jacket by Oliver Barrett

Dazed and Confused by Paul Mann

The Crow by Matt Ryan Tobin
majorjoe23 (10-22-22)
Old 10-05-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 676 Likes on 479 Posts

That's a kick ass Crow poster. One of my favorite flicks and the posters were always lacking, IMO. Might have to pick that one up.
Old 10-05-22, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Been wanting to make something like this for years. With the place to finally display it I had this custom made at work. 4'x6'

Old 10-20-22, 06:56 PM

Twin Cities Comics just announced a private signing with Samuel L. Jackson. It'll go on sale on the 25th. Probably going to cost an arm and a leg.

He's been in so many good movies. I want him on a dozen different posters.

IBJoel (10-20-22)
Old 10-20-22, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron_T View Post
Anyone else collect AMPs from galleries like Mondo, Bottleneck, Spoke Art, etc?
I do... mine are all JAWS related and my one caveat is that they include title and credits. All started when Hero Complex Gallery had their "Smile, You Son of a Bitch!" exhibition back in 2013.
Old 10-20-22, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Been wanting to make something like this for years. With the place to finally display it I had this custom made at work. 4'x6'

That痴 pretty badass but it looks like it gives off quite the glare on the screen. Are you able to turn it off when you watch movies?
Old 10-21-22, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, it's got a power switch and it's hooked to Alexa so I can tell her "alexa, turn off poster." My gaming area is down the right side of the screen so I turn it on when we're just hanging and not watching movies.

It's far more impressive in person.
GoldenJCJ (10-21-22)
Old 10-24-22, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very specific vibes, if it fits, it fits immensely
Old 10-25-22, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Twin Cities Comics just announced a private signing with Samuel L. Jackson. It'll go on sale on the 25th. Probably going to cost an arm and a leg.

He's been in so many good movies. I want him on a dozen different posters.

https://www.facebook.com/twincitiesc...XeeXbAG8Kcudvl
I was thinking about doing an Unbreakable poster, but will depend on pricing. Also waiting to see what Hugh Jackman will be charging.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not going in on their Macauley Culkin signing. One of those movies we watch every year, but I had a hard time justifying spending $500 for a poster I would only have up one month a year. Then they added Daniel Stern, and you know there will probably be another Joe Pesci eventually.

I did end up doing the Bill Skarsgard when they released more spots. Got an original D/S It Chapter One poster for cheap and that should look good signed and framed.

I signed up for an Adrienne Barbeau signing to get a Swamp Thing poster signed, but she canceled.
Old 10-25-22, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 358 Posts

^ Geezus... $750?
Old 11-22-22, 12:22 PM

Re: The Film Posters thread

Twin Cities Comics announced a private signing with Harrison Ford. This is gonna be crazy expensive.

Old 11-28-22, 04:21 PM

$1,475....yeah, I'm gonna pass
Old 11-29-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

And I thought Hammills ask of $300 was steep.
Old 11-29-22, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
$1,475....yeah, I'm gonna pass
No shit! I guess my Raiders teaser poster will just remain unsigned.