Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut"

Old 02-08-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut"

I don't think Kurbick was as meticulous about background as every likes to make out. When Eyes Wide Shut was in theaters, there was a GLARINGLY OBVIOUS sound guy reflected in the mirror in Ziggler's bathroom. If Kubrick was fine with that, I could see him letting some continuity errors with video tapes slide.

I've also enjoyed the red and blue used throughout the movie, but never noticed the hospital corridor floor. That is cool, and makes me think there must be many other subtle touches like that I've missed.

Maybe in a few years, someone will make a documentary called 'Where the Rainbow Ends' analysing EWS. I can just see one of the interviewees: "So why does Kubrick have a videotape of Clockwork Orange in one shot and when we cut back the video is missing. This is his way of saying it wasn't really his decision to withdraw A Clockwork Orange from cinemas. That he was infact forced to by the illuminati, angered over his boasting to have helped fake the moon landing..."
Old 02-08-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I may watch EWS this week. I have the HD-DVD. I always enjoyed the film. It's also cool that the band Ghost uses the monk chants from EWS in their show right before the band starts playing.
Old 02-08-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
It's also cool that the band Ghost uses the monk chants from EWS in their show right before the band starts playing.
So does Killing Joke
Old 02-08-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The VHS in the middle is Rapa Nui.

There are a lot of continuity gaffes in EWS. One that really stands out is at the orgy when the main 'masked man' (who might be Sydney Pollack's character, or Harvey Keitel) enters the a room with a nude woman, there's a cut, and it's a different nude woman with him.

I'm not sure if all of these continuity gaffes are intentional on Kubrick's part, or if it's because he did so many re-shoots that these things just happened. Since it's KUBRICK, people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say these things are done on purpose.
Old 02-08-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, since Kubrick died following filming and editing maybe the film just wasn't as tight enough as it should have been if Kubrick were in stellar health? Maybe he was actually sick during filming and editing and wasn't right in the head in terms of coherence? Who knows.
Old 02-08-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the same scene, Nichole Kidman's strap flips back and forth across her shoulder. I'm pretty sure Kubrick did it deliberately, because each position frames her face best for that camera angle.

Similarly, the placement of videotapes might well be there for no other reason than to create a balanced composition.
Old 02-08-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Similarly, the placement of videotapes might well be there for no other reason than to create a balanced composition.
Knowing Kubrick, if it had a deeper meaning than that, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 02-09-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie is a classic, imo and receives repeated viewings annually. Also has one of the best soundtracks which does so very much to ratchet up the tension and atmosphere.
Old 02-11-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love this movie and am continually mystified by it. There are some oddities surrounding it that I would love the studio to finally address, and preferably even release a really beefed-up special edition. I'll note a couple below.

The lost Sydney Pollack commentary track. When they were revamping the new (black cover) Kubrick collection for DVD (the same eventually came to Blu-Ray) all the promotional materials said that EWS would come with a commentary track by Sydney Pollack and Peter Loewenberg. When the discs were released, there was no commentary track and all mentions of it were scrubbed from the official online info about it (though it's still listed on the Amazon page). I've heard that Pollack did indeed record a track but the studio decided not to release it (no reason given).

The music that was changed after Kubrick's death. Apparently some Hindus were offended that part of the orgy music contained a chant from the bhagavad gita so Warners changed it for the home video release. I strongly doubt most Hindus knew or even cared about a snippet of song in a Kubrick movie, as most such "outcry" is limited to publicity-seeking special interests, so I think it's time this is restored to its original form.

It's time to answer questions about just how finished the film was when Kubrick died. I've heard various insider film people say things along the lines of Warners added all the music to the film, as Kubrick hadn't gotten to it, the edit was unfinished and rough (and yeah, it is) because Kubrick really wasn't done with it and the "he died 3 days after finishing it" was publicity to calm fears that the film wasn't pure Kubrick once released. I'd like to know how much of the final product is Kubrick and how much was quietly finished by someone else.

Did Kubrick really have anything to do with those ridiculous digital figures blocking the sex in the R version?

There's so much unknown about this movie and considering it's Kubrick's last, and there's no more box office dollars to be concerned about, that I think now would be a great time to call all the principals together and come out with a really thorough documentary or even book about its making, spill all the secrets for posterity, and release a new edition that is as close to the way Kubrick left it as possible (even a bonus feature with the Kubrick cut totally untouched and unmixed would be amazing), plus as much extra footage, outtakes, cut scenes, etc as they can fit on a supplementary blu-ray.

Last edited by lamphorn; 02-11-14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
Did Kubrick really have anything to do with those ridiculous digital figures blocking the sex in the R version?
I don't believe so, but everyone was faced with a tough decision after Kubrick's untimely death. They were contractually obligated to release an R-rated film but no one wanted to edit Kubrick's film without his blessing. This was really the only way to resolve the issue - keep the original edit but block the images that were objectionable to the MPAA.
Old 02-13-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
I thought the digital figures worked perfectly, and I have no desire to see the "uncensored" version. He went to that event for the first time, he didn't know anyone, he stood back, and, realistically, that's the view he got.
Old 02-13-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
I don't believe so, but everyone was faced with a tough decision after Kubrick's untimely death. They were contractually obligated to release an R-rated film but no one wanted to edit Kubrick's film without his blessing. This was really the only way to resolve the issue - keep the original edit but block the images that were objectionable to the MPAA.
I have trouble figuring out why that scene was so objectionable to deserve an NC-17. I recall reading an article that summer discussing the MPAA giving NC-17 to not only Eyes Wide Shut but American Pie and Summer of Sam. Spike Lee talked about using an optical dissolve to remove John Leguizoma's hips thrusting (I believe it was the scene where his wife goes down on him in the new wig) and I think with American Pie it was the pie scene going on too long and they cut out a couple of thrust.

So clearly, "thrusting" is seems to be the main thing the MPAA objects too. Why is that? Does it make the scene look too realistic for their comfort? They would prefer the sex be abstract?

I'm in Canada and thought it was ridiculous Warner Bros released the censored version of Eyes Wide Shut here. To point out how ridiculous this was, during the release of Eyes Wide Shut, there was a french art film called Romance that passed the Ontario censors with the same R-rating they gave to Eyes Wide Shut, and this movie had penetration and come shots in it!
Old 02-13-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've honestly never been distracted by the digital figures. Hell, if you don't know what to look for you'll probably miss them.
Old 02-13-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dugan View Post
I thought the digital figures worked perfectly, and I have no desire to see the "uncensored" version. He went to that event for the first time, he didn't know anyone, he stood back, and, realistically, that's the view he got.
Well, that's a fascinating take.

I've honestly never been distracted by the digital figures. Hell, if you don't know what to look for you'll probably miss them.
The point isn't how well-done they were, but that they mucked up Kubrick's composition because they wanted to make the movie kid-friendly based on arbitrary standards which deem beheadings and gore as ok for kids, but a boob is cause for alarm and "too many thrusts" will make them into gang members or something.

Last edited by lamphorn; 02-13-14 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dugan View Post
The thing is, the unrated version could probably pass for an "R" today...it's not nearly as graphic as some people make it out to be. Just some stuck-up prudes at the MPAA that year, I suppose.
Old 02-13-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
The thing is, the unrated version could probably pass for an "R" today...it's not nearly as graphic as some people make it out to be. Just some stuck-up prudes at the MPAA that year, I suppose.
More like every year. 'This Film is Not Yet Rated' is a good watch to see how for years the MPAA is ok with violence but afraid of sex.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

And definitely gonna put EWS up on the rotation again soon.
Old 02-13-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need a license to practice medicine, so maybe that's what the ID was....

Still a great movie.

Would be nice if street hookers looked like that in real life.

Was there an R-rated movie in theaters that had anal sex?
Old 02-13-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a friend who used to go to USC film school and he was at a special screening on campus for EWS that did not have the digital figures covering up the thrusting. In fact, he said, that's all it was. There was no penis/vagina insertion, which is what everyone was worried about. He saw it with the digital figures later on and I don't think he cared for that version due to it really being no big deal to begin with.
Old 02-13-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Deliverance.
Old 02-13-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Samuel L Jackson getting raped by Zed in Pulp Fiction.
Old 02-13-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a friend who used to go to USC film school and he was at a special screening on campus for EWS that did not have the digital figures covering up the thrusting. In fact, he said, that's all it was. There was no penis/vagina insertion, which is what everyone was worried about. He saw it with the digital figures later on and I don't think he cared for that version due to it really being no big deal to begin with.
The MPAA are notorious for overreacting anyway. I suppose that they were worried about the commercial potential of the movie, especially given that Cruise and Kidman were in it. Though even with an R-rating, I don't think teenage audiences would be flocking to an artsy movie anyway. But whatever.

On a side note, must've been cool to see it in 35mm. I wonder I'd Kubrick would've used digital had he lived? He died right on the cusp of a new era. Seeing 2001 in 70mm must be a sight to behold. My local AMC was showing The Shining for a very brief time back in October, presumably the American cut. A new DCP? I would guess so.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Deliverance.
That sequence, though highly disturbing, is not as graphic as its notorious reputation would lead you to believe.
Old 02-13-14, 11:32 PM
Banned by request

Doesn't the current Blu-ray have the unrated cut?
Old 02-13-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Samuel L Jackson getting raped by Zed in Pulp Fiction.
That wasn't Samuel Jackson, dude.

/facepalm
Old 02-14-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That wasn't Samuel Jackson, dude.

/facepalm
Sorry, I meant Laurence Fishburn. Brainfart.
Old 02-14-14, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Sorry, I meant Laurence Fishburn. Brainfart.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.