Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 3D IMAX Opens Jan 23, 2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Tried to search, but the title is too short...

U2 makes history with the first live action movie shot, produced and exhibited in Digital 3D.

Setlist:
Spoiler:
The film setlist features 14 songs

"Vertigo"
"Beautiful Day"
"New Year's Day"
"Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own"
"Love and Peace or Else"
"Sunday Bloody Sunday"
"Bullet the Blue Sky"
"Miss Sarajevo"
"Pride (In the Name of Love)"
"Where the Streets Have No Name"
"One"
"The Fly"
"With or Without You"
"Yahweh"

It was shot in 2006 on the South American leg of the Vertigo Tour. (with some added footage from Melbourne). It's gotten generally postive reviews (86% at RT - 6 fresh / 1 rotten). They showed a shortened version at Cannes and the premiere is this weekend (Jan 19) at Sundance.

I have tickets for next Friday at "the bridge" in Los Angeles and am looking forward to My Favorite Band + IMAX + 3D. Anyone else making plans on going?
Old 01-16-08, 11:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
here in DC - it will open over at the Natural History Museum
Old 01-16-08, 11:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw clips of it in Real D (Digital 3D). Looks pretty good. Unfortunately, Bono's voice still sounds like it's completely shot. I work at The Bridge and I hope that getting this doesn't kill our chances of showing Shine A Light, which is the IMAX music documentary I've been waiting for.
Old 01-17-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be catching it at the Irvine Spectrum next week. Should be a unique experience.
Old 01-17-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Jippy
I'll be catching it at the Irvine Spectrum next week. Should be a unique experience.
I didn't think it was playing there :P

I bought tickets for Friday Night at the Bridge since it only showed it was playing there and a theater in Sacremento.

(I live south of the Spectrum so it's a drive for me to LA)

Damm it shows up now...Naturally already bought my tickets for LA
http://www.u23dmovie.com/

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I saw clips of it in Real D (Digital 3D). Looks pretty good. Unfortunately, Bono's voice still sounds like it's completely shot. I work at The Bridge and I hope that getting this doesn't kill our chances of showing Shine A Light, which is the IMAX music documentary I've been waiting for.
I think Hannah Montana is causing more problems than anything. Most of the theaters are ditching U2 3D after a week to show the Best of Both Worlds 3D movie....Are you gonna be at the Bridge next Friday? There is about 25 U2 fans all going on Friday night....

Last edited by Chrisedge; 01-17-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-17-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
They should make a 3-D IMAX movie of Negativland. They're so much better than U2- these guys are from England and who gives a shit?
Old 01-17-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They should make a 3-D IMAX movie of Negativland. They're so much better than U2- these guys are from Ireland and who gives a shit?
Fixed.
Old 01-17-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll first point out that I'm not even close to being a fan of U2

However, I will be going to this sometime next week because I saw a trailer for it before Beowulf and i was completely blown away by the 3D.
Old 01-17-08, 01:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I think Hannah Montana is causing more problems than anything. Most of the theaters are ditching U2 3D after a week to show the Best of Both Worlds 3D movie....Are you gonna be at the Bridge next Friday? There is about 25 U2 fans all going on Friday night....
Hannah Montana doesn't start until February 1st, though. That should be enough time for any Real D theater (that doesn't have an IMAX, that is) to get their money's worth out of U2.

I will be at the Bridge (working) on Friday night. If you want to say hi you can go to the white desk in the lobby and ask to speak to Daniel.
Old 01-17-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U2 3D has been delayed in Real 3D theaters until 2/8.

The IMAX release is still planned for 01/23.
Old 01-26-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
LOVED IT. The use of the 3D was tremendous--it was like being there without all the pushing and sweat and waiting and cell phones held up in front of your face (though there are a few of those in the movie). I would've liked a few more songs, but I do like it's 100% music with all the talking/preaching, etc. cut out. Pretty amazing...
Old 01-26-08, 04:59 PM

This was a fantastic experience. I recommend it to all U2 fans, including the most casual fans who only know a handful of their songs.
Old 01-28-08, 12:00 AM

They should make a 3-D IMAX movie of Negativland. They're so much better than U2- these guys are from England and who gives a shit?
Thanks for the I hope you wiped afterwards
My wife and I just got back from seeing it and we loved it.I'm a huge fan and she's not that big of a fan but she still loved it.
Old 01-28-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Uh, my was a joke. Most fans of U2 already know what I was talking about, but if you don't then just Google "Negativland U2" and find out.
Old 01-29-08, 02:08 AM

Uh, my was a joke. Most fans of U2 already know what I was talking about, but if you don't then just Google "Negativland U2" and find out.
Yes I know about the Casey Kasem rant.So.....did you see the movie or not?
Old 01-31-08, 12:25 AM

Seen it twice....Amazing and overwhelming. Going again tonight.
Old 02-20-08, 06:14 PM

I'm a bit pissed off about this because it was supposed to open at the IMAX here in Rochester, NY on Feb 15. Then it got pushed to Feb 22. OK, fine. No big deal. Now I see it's opening at Tinsletown on the 22, but not at the IMAX theater, just the regular theater (although it is digital, which is a plus). I am quite irate about this and may skip it all together because I was looking so forward to 3D IMAX. I tried calling the theater to ask why, but couldn't get through. Anyone know why they would schedule it for IMAX than change it?
BTW It's been Spiderwick Chronicles at the IMAX for just about the whole month of FEB.

Last edited by Mr. Kite!; 02-20-08 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 07:11 PM
Banned

If I really don't like U2, will I like the movie?
Old 02-21-08, 02:49 AM
Banned

this sucks, they are only playing it at 11:30pm on weekends now at my theater because spiderwick chronicles takes up all other showtimes, i'd rather be catching it on a weekday but i guess now i have no choice.
Old 02-21-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is going into wider release in nearly 700 Real D (Digitally Polarized 3-D) theaters this weekend; though some theaters are apparently holding on to Hannah Montana for daytime screenings a bit longer. Find theaters at www.reald.com
Old 02-21-08, 10:32 AM

even though it was at Natural History Musuem's IMAX - it's far more convient for it to be playing at Regal Gallery Place (at more times of the day) - finally a chance to see it!
Old 02-28-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Giles, what did you think of the Real D version?

I was disappointed; the medium and long shots were fine but the close shots of the performers were shot too close and were eye strain city for me. The ridiculous amount of dissolves in the first few songs were very distracting, too. The whole thing seemed to improve in the second half, though. Still, this was not state of the art 3-D at all.....

This was the first Real D film that gave me any problems at all; and I tradionally have preferred Real D to IMAX, but maybe the reverse is true here. I may try again and sit closer (the back is usually the best place to sit for 3-D) but in this case it may help to sit closer and see a slightly flatter image... I'll have to try to see the IMAX version. Many people are raving over it, so maybe the convergence was tweaked differently in that version.

The new JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH trailer played in 3-D at the beginning. Wow. Not looking good. Brendan Fraser spitting at the camera; sloppy looking images (cardboard cut outs) and one shot was in psuedo (reverse)! Hopefully the final product will be better.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 02-28-08 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-28-08, 11:52 AM

honestly... I wasn't impressed, the 3D effect seemed to vary from shot to shot/song to song. Whenever there was a reference point in the foreground (like uplifted hands) the effect was achieved, but too much of it felt flat - the use of animation during one song was good, but on the whole it didn't wow me. As for the content of the U2 concert film , don't get me wrong I'm a fan of their music, the setlist felt terrible lacking - hate to admit this, but I nodded off during one song. I personally thought the 3D imagery for the Hannah Montana movie was much better utlized and conveyed.

Differing between IMAX and REAL-D, it seems like a mixed bag, IMAX 3D continually impresses (although there seems to be rather prevailent ghosting/double imaging, very noticeable during Beowulf), REAL-D is inconsistent: last Fall's Nightmare Before Christmas at Regal Gallery Place was the best I've seen and heard the feature, Tyson's Corner setup was inferior (the image was too dark and for the record an audio dropout occurred, which is annoyingly becoming more frequent).

Last edited by Giles; 02-28-08 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-07-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
caught this last night (planned to go this weekend but it was leaving every theater around here). I loved the 3-d, it was not in your face with gimicks. Things didin't pop out of the screen, instead it added depth to the images that put you on the stage or in the crowd. Lets get more of these 3-d concert films in theaters, ton of potential here.
Old 03-08-08, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by sauce07
caught this last night (planned to go this weekend but it was leaving every theater around here). I loved the 3-d, it was not in your face with gimicks. Things didin't pop out of the screen, instead it added depth to the images that put you on the stage or in the crowd. Lets get more of these 3-d concert films in theaters, ton of potential here.

like a Flaming Lips concert

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.