Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Neil Marshall's Doomsday (Rhona Mitra, Malcolm McDowell) Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Neil Marshall's Doomsday (Rhona Mitra, Malcolm McDowell) Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know where I could find this poster for sale? I've searched online and found nothing. But it's beautiful artwork and I want that on my wall!

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/11412
Old 03-25-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got around to this tonight and got just what I expected, only I'm convinced that this and Rambo would be fitting to make up Grindhouse 2.

It's not perfect like No Country for Old Men or There Will Be Blood, but this movie is a perfect brainless movie. I was smiling from ear to ear at all of the ridiculous action and 80's-ness of it. I loved all the homages: not just Road Warrior and Escape from New York, but I also noticed a lot of other stuff:

Spoiler:
Alien - the suits they're wearing upon first going beyond the wall look exactly like the ones in the original.

Aliens - the tank-like vehicles they drive in at the same part resembled the similar ones that the Marines drove in

RoboCop - all of the government scenes: Canaris was Dick Jones with a gravelly British voice

Highlander - the entire part in Kane's compound

Marshall also made damn sure we got some awesome novelty deaths, and this movie was gory as hell. Decapitations, charred people, mutations straight out of Planet Terror, an exploding rabbit, and enough stabbings, shootings, and bloodletting to serve as a side order to Rambo.

Overall, a HUGE blast at the movies. This will hopefully become a cult classic. And Universal should be making this one of their first Blu-ray titles.
Old 03-28-08, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it. It was like an hommage to all the great 80's sci-fi flicks.

Things I learned from Doomsday (contains spoilers !)

1) in 30 plus years of research and development, the army will develop foam grenades which expand to fill confined spaces, super capacity rifles, and remote control eye-balls which can pop out of socket and record/monitor enemy acivity while syncing the data to a wrist-watch. They won't however build an APC that has a window which can withstand an arrow from a home-made bow.

2) This may sound like a stereo-type, but all leaders of small clans like to have their captures engage in gladiator style "two men enter, one man leave" battles. You can not make an appocalypse movie without this in the formula !!

3) If a plague ever hits a country it will force man to eat one another, as a source of survival. For some reason that escapes me, they seem to ignore the fields of cows and other sources of meat, which only seem to block military personel.

4) The government likes to build undeground caves and stock pile them with cell phones and Sports Cars. That's our tax dollars put to good use !! Dang you Danny Williams !!

5) Cell phone coverage in the UK is off the hook !! A cell phone can sit an underground bunker for 30 years and still work on the first try. No activation required. No dead batteries. Can you hear me now ?? Good !!

6) The above mentioned sports-cars are also more durable than military APC's. They can withstand multiple collisions and remain in-tact. They can also literally drive through a bus and remain in one peice.

7) If your driving this super -duper sports-car and engaging in street combat, it's always a good option to leave you windows open and let the enemy jump in and attack you. This is the first thing they teach you in covert ops military training.

8) Civilian vehicles not coming from the underground bunkers will not be so durable. They can spontaneously combust for no reason. If you hit a motorcycle, they will fly 50 feet in the air and then explode. Buses will literally crack in half on impact from a compact sedan.

9) Even after a man's fellow country-men have been killed by a plague and have run out of food and reverted to Cannibalism, he will still appreciate hot women in fishnets and coordinated dance numbers !!

10) Hot women that know how to pole dance will always have a place in society

11) Beer will never run out even after 30 yrs of no new deliverys!
Old 03-28-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Saw this and wasn't a big fan. It was just a bit too silly in too many areas for me to enjoy it. I think the leap to medieval times where the survivors decided not only to live in a castle, but somehow decided they also had to dress like peasants was where it lost me. The car chase where the cars seemed to explode in every crash sealed it for me. Quite a lot of laughs from the audience during those moments over the absurdity of it all

I did get a kick out of a lot of the other action in general though, and Rhona kicked some serious ass. I dug her kicking ass a lot more then Milla in the Resident Evil movies. Then again i've had a thing for her since her Tomb Raider days.

For the record i enjoyed Planet Terror quite a bit
Old 04-02-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JHosk
I liked it. It was like an hommage to all the great 80's sci-fi flicks.

1) in 30 plus years of research and development, the army will develop foam grenades which expand to fill confined spaces, super capacity rifles, and remote control eye-balls which can pop out of socket and record/monitor enemy acivity while syncing the data to a wrist-watch. They won't however build an APC that has a window which can withstand an arrow from a home-made bow.

--> one of the thugs had smashed the window earlier with a club.

3) If a plague ever hits a country it will force man to eat one another, as a source of survival. For some reason that escapes me, they seem to ignore the fields of cows and other sources of meat, which only seem to block military personel.

--> indeed.

11) Beer will never run out even after 30 yrs of no new deliverys!

--> and he wasted it, they truly are barbarians.
Old 05-04-08, 09:56 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great movie, very good ! loved the different gangs, nice and violent !
Old 08-09-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Worst movie of the year so far for me.
Yeah that.

edit - No more intoxicated posts for me.

No real build up or intensity to speak of. Characters were uninteresting. The lead baddie is no Vernon Wells (Wez from Road Warrior) which he apparently was drafted after. If the guy could have said "fuck" 50 more times the film could have been in a running to take down the top spot from the following list. What clever scripting. I wish I could say this movie was so bad it's good. I'd rather be forced to watch Beyond the Thunderdome every day for a year before seeing this mess of a film again.

What ever happened to the days where same mindless action films Doomsday is apparently paying homage too were actually good?

Last edited by visitor Q; 08-10-08 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-09-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched the unrated cut on DVD tonight. Wow, what a terrible, poorly executed, trashy mess of a movie...and I can't wait to see it again.
Old 08-10-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watched it on Bluray and I really liked it, Lots of fun. a good mindless action movie from the 80's. I also liked seeing a movie that while gory wasnt as mean or sick spirted as most movies now days. Just goofy fun with alot of different ideas scrambled together. It worked for me. The ending could of been better though.
Old 08-11-08, 09:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree, maingon, the trailer made it look ten times worse, it was so completely disjointed and out there, that with the combined violence and over the topness of it, it was just goofy and ultimately entertaining
Old 08-11-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I rented this last night and I was really into it on a, "ok, this is a generic post apocalyptic future film with generic(and boring) Punk Rocker people who've taken over some area of the city", level.

Then they made it out to the woods and suddenly there were fuckin' knights and castles! WTF? All of a sudden I found myself FF'ing through the dvd. I wanted to dig this flick but it just didn't do it for me.
Old 08-11-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I know it's obvious about the castle portion of the film, but everyone did notice the "Gift Shop" and "Emergency Exit" signs around the castle right?

Bought the movie a week or so ago and I actually enjoyed it. Fun film, wish the car chase was a little better. Lots of explosions and run over bodies during that scene but for some reason I thought it could've been better
Old 08-11-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I rented this last night and I was really into it on a, "ok, this is a generic post apocalyptic future film with generic(and boring) Punk Rocker people who've taken over some area of the city", level.

Then they made it out to the woods and suddenly there were fuckin' knights and castles! WTF? All of a sudden I found myself FF'ing through the dvd. I wanted to dig this flick but it just didn't do it for me.

They're in Scotland, what did you expect?
Old 08-11-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didnt realize that Neil Marshall only makes movies starting with D. Dog Soldiers, Descent, Doomsday and soon to be Drive. Weird?
Old 08-11-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Considering the movie starts off in a fucked up post apocalyptic style setting, I sure as hell didn't expect knights and a castle.
Old 08-11-08, 08:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert
Old 08-12-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert
Sure, I guess I shoulda known they would revert back to the days of King Author and Fuckin' Braveheart.

Castles in Scotland or not Doomsday sucked balls from the first appearance of the Knight on horseback.

Hell, Reign of Fire had castles in a futuristic world but it was tons better than Doomsday.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-12-08 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Hell, Reign of Fire had castles in a futuristic world but it was tons better than Doomsday.

Doomsday does to the post-apocalyptic action/sci-fi genre what Land of the Dead did to Romero's Dead series. I suppose some enjoyment might be found (and I was searching), but it's a thoroughly weak and forgettable entry to the field.

Even the psychotics sucked. At least a decent villain can make a film more interesting.
Old 08-13-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
[QUOTE=JHosk]I liked it. It was like an hommage to all the great 80's sci-fi flicks.

QUOTE]

Additionally one man can feed hundreds of hungry cannibals.
Old 08-13-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
The movie was silly... but I could watch Rhona Mitra in those little outfits all day long!
Old 08-24-08, 01:55 AM

Just saw this. It was bliss.
Old 01-20-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Neil Marshall's Doomsday (Rhona Mitra, Malcolm McDowell) Trailer

I coudn't get into this flick. At first it had me all the way to the hospital sequence which was very well done. But then it just started to fall appart.

Like other mentioned, before they get to the hospital we see what appears to be hundreds of cows. Why would anyone give into cannibalism if there's a huge supply of fresh livestock? I didn't mind the Mad Max 2-lite gangs (and the party sequence was all kinds of fun) but the cannibal angle made little sense. And how did that one guy feed all those cannibals? And weren't they gonna eat him rare?

The medieval stuff I actually found amusing. Cut off from civilization they reverted to a medieval way of life. It works as long as you don't realize they haven't been cut off from civilization long enough for anyone to buy into such a lifestyle. Malcom McDowell would have to be playing his own character's great-great-great-great-grandson for that to be believable. And why didn't Rhona use her gun when her friend was being shot by arrows. She was close enough and had a clear enough line of fire to nail each of their attackers in the bunker?

Even though the final chase was pretty much stolen (I know they'd probably preffer to call it a homage than actual theft) from Mad Max 2 but I couldn't help but enjoy that part.

In the end, it's as if Neil Marshall had all these ideas from different unfinished scripts and put them in a blender. However, instead of a delightful mish-mash of genres, it was a mostly nonsensical mess.

Hopefully his next film has is of the same quality as The Descent.
Old 01-20-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

My 3-star Netflix write-up, emulating the speech patterns of a 14 year old kid whacked-up on goofballs:

"TRIUMPHANTLY AWFUL! This movie has every action film cliche/ripoff you can think of! But hilarious! Think Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, minus the satire! Unintentionally the best comedy ever! OMG!"
Roy!
Old 03-07-10, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
That scene was great when Sol came out dancing to "Good Thing". It hit me about an hour after the movie that it was Fine Young Cannibals... especially considering what happens just after that scene.
That was hilarious! And, then they transition into a can-can dance like no other.

Who are the pole dancers in this scene? One looks vaguely familiar but they hardly show their faces (imagine that) and I can't find them in any obscure credits.
Old 09-10-12, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

soooooooo I've finally seen this, got it super as fuck cheap at WM.

I didn't want to see this film at the time it came out, other things took my attention and I also didn't know who Marshall was at point. I later saw The Descent...fucking great film. Also saw Centurions, fucking enjoyed that one...still need to see Dog Soldiers.

I fucking loved it. My only real issue is that Mcdowell's character went nowhere when we left him. Rather pointless. Also...still not sure if I liked the ending or not. I GET what it's going for but...I'm not feeling it. Looked awesome though.

Either way...fucking movie was badass. Great atmosphere for sure. Loved Sol's whole little dance routine and shit..that was awesome. The whole damn thing is an orgy of 80s genre shit. Also...the fact that it was headed by a female lead made it pretty damn cool too. Aside from those 2 little bits that I mentioned...the film is fucking crazy ass fun. Shit that doesn't make sense..somehow doesn't ruin it for me. The pacing was very nice as well.

Loved this bitch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.