Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

movie television premieres (hbo, sho, etc.)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-14-08, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone direct me to a site that has information on when movies have premiered on television? Mostly I'm looking for info on the pay movie channels like hbo, but would also be interested in cable/network premier info as well.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is the wrong forum (couldn't decide whether this is a movie or tv question).
Old 01-14-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it would be a TV question, since you are asking about viewing things on TV.

When you say "have premiered," are you asking about historically or new movies that will premiere eventually?
Old 01-14-08, 11:17 PM

Thanks. I did check the TV forum, but the people in this forum seem more likely to answer a movie question if it is in regard to TV.

I'm looking more for historically, but recent history. I don't expect there to be much beyond 2000 or so; but I also would be interested in future premieres as well, as it's at least a start (maybe I could find some archives or something).
Old 01-15-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts
Don't know about now but historically a new theatrical release would hit HBO/Showtime approx. one year after theatrical release. When vhs was up and running, the tape would hit rental stores in about six months, and the movie would premiere on cable about six months after that, giving the rental stores an approx. six month exclusive window(tapes were $70 or more, very few sell-throughs). By the 90's a vhs would either be a sell-through(14.99-19.99) or $100-120. The expensive titles were aimed for rental stores. Approx. six months later the price would drop to 14.99-19.99 and be released for retail(Best Buy,etc.) and the movie usually premiered on premium cable the weekend before or after the sell-through release.