Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Now there's Ads in my trailers!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-14-08, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So product placement has shown us that they can put ads into our films with ease. Sometimes it's useful for story telling, other times it's just too in your face.

We've all come to realize and accept that there's Ads in front of our films when we go to the movies. Hell, there's even ads in front of most of our dvds. But this one is a really strange one

There's now ads within the trailer. Check this trailer out for Jumper. Seriously, I'm perplexed by how HP decided to just stab an ad in the middle of the trailer.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...ectlink&id=450

Simply amazing. If you want to take it further, there's ads within the ads within the ads.

SOON IN THEATERS, JUMPER
with a Mercedes
Windows Vista?
Wait, no, HP.
Serena Williams videogame.
Andre 3000, from Outkast.
JUMPER, in theaters soon!

It's a confused ad. So, how soon before we get ads within our dreams?

So to ad discussion in this, what are those product placements that just make you question everything you've known and loved and want to go live the rest of your life in some cabin in Montana?

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 01-14-08 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
i saw this on tv and was like ?????????
Old 01-14-08, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's F'd up.
I'm never going to see that movie.
I am afraid like you said it will get worse and worse. TV already is unwatchable, I can't believe I grew up watching so much of it... not because of what I watched, but the amount of time getting exposed to commercials, it must amount to a heck of a lot. Thank god for the digital revolution.
Old 01-14-08, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell just happened? I was watching it expecting a simple HP computer being used, but holy crap that was just ridiculous. I don't know if it is a trailer or a commercial. Maybe I'll see a mac ad in my dreams tonight. Who really knows anymore.
Old 01-14-08, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That can't be real...
Old 01-14-08, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Holy shit. I just realized, there's more ads WITHIN the ads WITHIN the ads.

There's references to NIKE in the serena ad and even an ad for Jumper.

So in the trailer for Jumper there's an ad for HP and in the ad for HP there's an ad for Jumper.

Holy shit.
Old 01-14-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 325 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Somebody call a doctor.
Old 01-14-08, 12:16 PM
Cool New Member

I just checked out the official site. The trailer there doesn't have the commercial inside.

I swear, if I EVER see an ad like that at the theater, that will be the last movie I ever watch in a theater. That was really, really annoying.
Old 01-14-08, 12:52 PM

So his "jumping" abilities allow him to show up in a prerecorded commercial? Am I missing something? I though he could just teleport around... not somehow make his way into prerecorded video.

Maybe the sequel to jumper will be Hayden just jumping off a building onto something painful and dying... like a garbage bin full of bicycles and light bulbs. One can dream.
Old 01-14-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Yes it was annoying and stupid, but I don't see the big deal. It obviously isn't the official trailer for Jumper, just a marketing gimmick by HP separate from the movie.
Old 01-14-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Yes it was annoying and stupid, but I don't see the big deal. It obviously isn't the official trailer for Jumper, just a marketing gimmick by HP separate from the movie.
What makes it wrong to me is that the trailer bookends the ad, and that the ad doesn't relate to the movie. Had it, say, just shown a short bit of the movie when she said "don't miss this one" (like it zooms in and there's some stuff about Jumper, and then the date, and then gone back to the HP commercial, or it was tagged on the end, like "...and don't miss Jumper in theaters" then I might have gone with it. Or if the person in the HP ad related to the movie, like if it was Doug Liman, then I might have accepted it. But this is literally a commercial inside a trailer and that's just kind of awful.