Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It's just a movie right?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It's just a movie right?

Old 01-11-08, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's just a movie right?

I have a problem. Some might call it a sickness. I for the life of me, take every movie too literally, over think every aspect of a movie, and hold all movies to an almost superhuman realism. I just can't sit through a movie without thinking to myself, 'Come on, that would never happen in the real world.' I know, I know, this isn't the real world, it's just a movie, but I wish I could just sit and watch a good flick, without over analyzing it. Any one share the same plight?
Old 01-11-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My father can't stand watching films or TV shows like Goodfellas or Sopranos. He gets upset because there are actually people like that out in the real world. He said growing up in Brooklyn since he was born, he knew a lot of people like that.

I don't know, he's a bit out there.
Old 01-11-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Definitely. You're just a picky bastard like me. There's nothing wrong with that either. I'm the type of person who gets bored very easily as well so watching the same movie twice can be quite difficult for me at times.

I find that people I can relate with tend to usually want things all or nothing. Take the Grindhouse flicks recently released by Tarantino and Rodriguez for example - are they full out Grindhouse? Of course not but I pretty much grew up watching stuff like that and can't believe how much effort went into trying to recreate the experience - I love it and ate every bit of it up.

I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan around either - it's very hard for me to get into those types of films and when I finally do\can - I usually fall out quickly.

With all that said though - I do have an appreciation for any type of film done in any genere when they are well made - even if I can't fully get into them.
Old 01-11-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by thrillhouse210
I have a problem. Some might call it a sickness. I for the life of me, take every movie too literally, over think every aspect of a movie, and hold all movies to an almost superhuman realism. I just can't sit through a movie without thinking to myself, 'Come on, that would never happen in the real world.' I know, I know, this isn't the real world, it's just a movie, but I wish I could just sit and watch a good flick, without over analyzing it. Any one share the same plight?
Sounds like you need to find a new hobby.....and forum.
Old 01-11-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can relate. I find myself thinking the same thing a lot of times while watching a film, but I usually remind myself that I'm supposed to suspend disbelief for the 2 hours I'm sitting in a theater. Unless something gets so retardedly over the top, like Die Another Die, I usually just let it go.
Old 01-11-08, 09:09 PM

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't have this problem. I watch movies to get away from real life, not to watch real life on a giant screen. How depressing.
Old 01-11-08, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brack
I don't have this problem. I watch movies to get away from real life, not to watch real life on a giant screen. How depressing.

Mostly agree, but depends on the genre of a movie.
Old 01-11-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested in seeing some of the OP's examples ..
Old 01-11-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. The only thing I don't like is when a movie throws a curve ball that totally goes against everything else shown in the universe of the movie.
Old 01-11-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by thrillhouse210
This is probably just an indication that you need to vary your viewing lineup. Maybe less action/adventure, sci-fi, horror, and more Neo-realism and documentary.

I watch movies to get away from real life, not to watch real life on a giant screen. How depressing.
I agree this does sound depressing. What's wrong with your real life that you're trying to get away from?
Old 01-11-08, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I agree this does sound depressing. What's wrong with your real life that you're trying to get away from?
Nothing is wrong with my real life, but I think most would agree that watching something that is completely real would be boring.

Point out a movie that is 100% "real." I'm not talking about documentaries.

Last edited by Brack; 01-11-08 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you sound like my co worker...

i bring in horror movies almost everyday to watch and every night hell get bored ad sit down and just watch whatever i have on for about 15 minutes and get frustrated and make a generic "wth that would never happen" comment and walk away.

sooner or later he will give up...he did stop for a week when i brought in black sheep.
Old 01-11-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
For me it all depends on the type of movie. If I go in expecting it to be somewhat realistic and I get a ton of unrealistic crap I get annoyed with that. Day After Tomorrow is a good example of that. I went in thinking it would be a good sci-fi/disaster flick about global warming. Instead I get Jake Gylenhaal running away from absolute zero.

On the flipside, I can take fantasy movies and crazy action movies and appreciate them for what they are.

If you don't enjoy a movie because its not real enough for you thats your own business. It gets annoying when watching a movie with some douche that repeatedly says "thats so unrealistic".
Old 01-11-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Nothing is wrong with my real life, but I think most would agree that watching something that is completely real would be boring.
That's sad. Are you bored by lectures about interesting topics? Are you bored by concerts performed by bands you like? Were you bored by the 9/11 footage?

If you're not talking about documentaries, then I suppose you're talking about fiction, correct? Fiction, by definition is a work of imagination. I'm not sure how this has anything to do with the OP or my post, but I'm intrigued. And why is it you're not talking about documentaries? I was.
Old 01-11-08, 11:01 PM

That's sad. Are you bored by lectures about interesting topics? Are you bored by concerts performed by bands you like? Were you bored by the 9/11 footage?
Sorry, by my use of the word "something," I was referring to "movie." This is a movie forum the last time I checked.

If you're not talking about documentaries, then I suppose you're talking about fiction, correct? Fiction, by definition is a work of imagination. I'm not sure how this has anything to do with the OP or my post, but I'm intrigued. And why is it you're not talking about documentaries? I was.
Well, a work of fiction is never "real." Real life is never nearly as well written. I wasn't talking about documentaries, well, because they actually show real footage. But they're still edited in a way that is entertaining and informative. Real life isn't edited so nicely.
Old 01-11-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sorry, by my use of the word "something," I was referring to "movie."
If you're not talking about documentaries, then I don't understand what you are taking about. What would this "100% real" movie be then?

Real life is never nearly as well written.
I disagree. There's been a lot of real life that blows movie fiction out of the water.

I wasn't talking about documentaries, well, because they actually show real footage. But they're still edited in a way that is entertaining and informative. Real life isn't edited so nicely.
Sure it is. News coverage is edited reality; history is even more edited. Even memory is edited. All observations are selectively edited. A lot of those edits are so nicely done, the observer doesn't even notice that the reality is edited.

I still don't know what you're point is, but I look forward to reading it.
Old 01-11-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a little bit of the opposite, I'm against being too bogged down by reality, because reality is so subjective and imagination is more in line with an artist's worldview, therefore usually more passionate and confident than someone trying to create a world which the entire population can relate to. That is why the art films of the past eras stand the test of time more so than the popular films from then, since reality is ever changing and modern popular crowds aren't in touch with then, not that that's bad... it's instant gratification. Maybe as relics into past cultures, and general film history, old popular films are worthwhile, but I could easily see something like Fellini's work standing the test of time almost like Van Gogh. There are holes and assumptions in what I'm saying but it is generally in line with my view... and thought I'd add the opposite perspective as someone who thinks the best films resemble nothing about reality but are most real of all
Old 01-11-08, 11:53 PM
Suspended

if movies were just recreations of 'real life' then they would all be 2 hours of stuff like your Mom telling you to clean up your room and you posting on the internet...

then if someone actually MADE that movie, people would go ...

"Ehhh... that'd never really happen..."
Old 01-11-08, 11:58 PM

If you're not talking about documentaries, then I don't understand what you are taking about. What would this "100% real" movie be then?
There are no 100% real movies. That was my point. Sure, I like movies that are realistic in the universe that it creates. But isn't not real life. Documentaries are edited, real life isn't edited. That's also my point.

People also may act differently in front of a camera than they would in real life. Do you consider the Real World on MTV to be real?

I disagree. There's been a lot of real life that blows movie fiction out of the water.
Care to elaborate? Are you talking about nonfiction work? They tend to edit out all the boring parts. You can't edit out the boring parts of real life.

Sure it is. News coverage is edited reality; history is even more edited. Even memory is edited. All observations are selectively edited. A lot of those edits are so nicely done, the observer doesn't even notice that the reality is edited.
The fact that's there's edits tell you that you're not seeing everything, which is usually a good thing. But I know I can't edit out the boring parts of my life. I'm happy you have one of those little remotes like Adam Sandler has in "Click."

I still don't know what you're point is, but I look forward to reading it.
See the first post I made in this thread. The rest were answering your questions. The things you mentioned, history, news, etc. aren't boring, but it's not exactly real life, but merely moments in real life. Those can be very interesting.
Old 01-12-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CloverClover
I am a little bit of the opposite, I'm against being too bogged down by reality, because reality is so subjective and imagination is more in line with an artist's worldview, therefore usually more passionate and confident than someone trying to create a world which the entire population can relate to.
I agree that reality is subjective, but I think most often when the writer or director is trying to create a world that the entire population can relate to, that world is most likely to be a highly simplified fiction: for example, the world of Jurassic Park. Creating a realistic world, for example that of Old Joy, is more alienating because it seems so real as to be boring or so alien as to be unrelatable.

That is why the art films of the past eras stand the test of time more so than the popular films from then, since reality is ever changing and modern popular crowds aren't in touch with then
I think what the the modern crowd finds so alienating about old popular films is not that reality has changed so much since those films were made, but that the old popular fictional conventions are no longer novel, whereas modern fiction is, when well done, still fresh and unexpected. Old films that attempted to accurately depict reality can, when well done, still be interesting even if it's now apparent how stylized those depictions of reality really were (e.g., Battleship Potemkin, All Quite on the Western Front, Bicycle Thieves, A Streetcar Named Desire, Breathless and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf).

Maybe as relics into past cultures, and general film history, old popular films are worthwhile, but I could easily see something like Fellini's work standing the test of time almost like Van Gogh. There are holes and assumptions in what I'm saying but it is generally in line with my view... and thought I'd add the opposite perspective as someone who thinks the best films resemble nothing about reality but are most real of all
I think there's room for both efforts in impressionism and realism in the ranks of great films. Give me Fellini and Tarkovsky, but also give me De Sica and Cassavetes.
Old 01-12-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There are no 100% real movies. That was my point.
Since nobody disagreed with this, I'm not sure why it's a point that had to be made. It's like saying a square has four sides, true, but so what?

Sure, I like movies that are realistic in the universe that it creates. But isn't not real life. Documentaries are edited, real life isn't edited. That's also my point.
To say that "real life" isn't edited is like saying a tree in a forest makes a sound even if nobody's there to hear it. Technically true, but of no consequence. All perceived reality is edited.

People also may act differently in front of a camera than they would in real life. Do you consider the Real World on MTV to be real?
I hesitate to follow you down another rabbit hole here since you don't really seem to be leading me anywhere, but what the hell, no I consider the Real World to be highly contrived. And?

Care to elaborate?
9/11 and sex, to name two things.

The fact that's there's edits tell you that you're not seeing everything, which is usually a good thing.
You never see everything ever.

But I know I can't edit out the boring parts of my life.
I'm very rarely bored, but I'm sorry to hear that you are.

I'm happy you have one of those little remotes like Adam Sandler has in "Click."
These points of reference of yours, the Real World and Click may, if typical of what you expose yourself to, account for your dissatisfaction. I'd be unhappy too if these were the types of entertainment I exposed myself to on a regular basis.

See the first post I made in this thread.
See my first response in this post.

The things you mentioned, history, news, etc. aren't boring, but it's not exactly real life, but merely moments in real life. Those can be very interesting.
Again, I'm sorry you're bored with real life.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 01-12-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-12-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,003 Likes on 726 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think Brack is not saying HIS real life if boring but watching someone else's real life could be boring. As an example, say you're sitting in a chair reading a good book. You're not bored because you're enjoying the book. But say someone filmed you sitting there reading the book. Watching that film for 2 hours might be boring.
Old 01-12-08, 01:27 AM

Since nobody disagreed with this, I'm not sure why it's a point that had to be made. It's like saying a square has four sides, true, but so what?
The OP wants movies to be "real." I thought it relevant to mention.

I hesitate to follow you down another rabbit hole here since you don't really seem to be leading me anywhere, but what the hell, no I consider the Real World to be highly contrived. And?
Documentaries aren't necessarily real either. I'm not trying to make some huge point to you. You keep asking the questions, I'm simply answering.

9/11 and sex, to name two things.
How are these better written exactly?

You never see everything ever.
Very true, but you're only seeing what someone wants you to see in this case.

I'm very rarely bored, but I'm sorry to hear that you are.
I'm not bored. But there are plenty of moments in my life that I wouldn't consider very interesting.

These points of reference of yours, the Real World and Click may, if typical of what you expose yourself to, account for your dissatisfaction. I'd be unhappy too if these were the types of entertainment I exposed myself to on a regular basis.
Whoever said I was dissatisfied or unhappy? Not me. I've never even seen "Click."

See my first response in this post.
Stop watching sci-fi? Or that you feel sorry for me?

Again, I'm sorry you're bored with real life.
I'm not bored with life, I'm happy to be alive. But I wouldn't expect someone to watch a movie about my life either.
Old 01-12-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The OP wants movies to be "real." I thought it relevant to mention.
Why direct your comment at me then? How does it help the OP to ask me to "Point out a movie that is 100% real"?

Documentaries aren't necessarily real either.
Well I think your definition of "real" is a little squishy, but I agree with you. Documentaries are merely selectively-constructed depictions of reality.

I'm not trying to make some huge point to you. You keep asking the questions, I'm simply answering.
You may be responding to my questions, but you're not answering them.

How are these better written exactly?
They're as much "written" as any of life's events are. I assumed you were using a loose analogy between fictional drama and the drama of real life when you said "Real life is never nearly as well written." If you didn't intend to analogize there, what did you mean by this expression?

Very true, but you're only seeing what someone wants you to see in this case.
In what case?

I'm not bored. But there are plenty of moments in my life that I wouldn't consider very interesting.
You said previously, "I know I can't edit out the boring parts of my life." Was this merely theoretical then?

Whoever said I was dissatisfied or unhappy? Not me.
Statements like "I watch movies to get away from real life" and "I know I can't edit out the boring parts of my life" sound like signs of dissatisfaction to me.

I've never even seen "Click."
Odd to reference it then, but okay, good for you; me neither.

Stop watching sci-fi? Or that you feel sorry for me?
You're not reading very carefully. I said post not thread.

I'm not bored with life, I'm happy to be alive. But I wouldn't expect someone to watch a movie about my life either.
I never suggested anyone would want to see a movie about your life, but I have no doubt that you'll accumulate enough experiences in your life to fill several hours of small screen television drama, if not necessarily the makings of a summer blockbuster.
Old 01-12-08, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I might be wrong, but I think Brack is not saying HIS real life if boring but watching someone else's real life could be boring. As an example, say you're sitting in a chair reading a good book. You're not bored because you're enjoying the book. But say someone filmed you sitting there reading the book. Watching that film for 2 hours might be boring.
You're guess about what Brack is saying is as good as mine. His statements about "I watch movies to get away from real life" and "I know I can't edit out the boring parts of my life" sound like statements of boredom to me, but I could be wrong. As for a film about Brack reading a book, that sounds a lot like the films of Andy Warhol, especially Sleep and Eat. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I did enjoy Gus Van Sant's Last Days so I'm not too far off from finding that to be a topic that could be interesting if done well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.