DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Film Analysis on Kubrick/Hitchcock by Rob Ager (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/522235-film-analysis-kubrick-hitchcock-rob-ager.html)

RockStrongo 01-10-08 03:10 PM

Film Analysis on Kubrick/Hitchcock by Rob Ager

Ok...so we all know that Kubrick and Hitchcock have alot of symbolism in their films. I love watching their movies over and over. Every time, I seem to catch something new and it makes the experience different than when watching the film for the first time.

Some of you may have heard of this site, but Rob Ager probably does the best film analysis that Ive ever read.

His review on Eyes Wide Shut has given me a greater appreciation for the film to where I actually think its one of Kubrick's masterpieces. Some of the things he explained I had caught, but many I did not. He sums them all up nicely and really provokes some thought. Awesome review!

His 2001 analysis is simply mind blowing on the meaning of the monolith. Ive never heard someone explain it like this. I think he is dead on for it and really captured what Kubrick was trying to say with it.

http://www.collativelearning.com/FIL...OB%20AGER.html

If you have some time and love Kubrick and/or Hitchcock like I do, check it out! The Exorcist is another brilliant analysis from him too. I NEVER saw this coming and again, I think he nailed the meaning.

FinkPish 01-10-08 03:18 PM

Is this the guy who goes into explicit detail about the Indian imagery being a subtext of genocide in The Shining?

RockStrongo 01-10-08 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Is this the guy who goes into explicit detail about the Indian imagery being a subtext of genocide in The Shining?

Yes, it is....that was pretty out there....dont know if I agree with that analysis.

He made some other interesting observations in that review, but the symbolism about the indian culture and US overtaking them was a bit odd.

FinkPish 01-10-08 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Yes, it is....that was pretty out there....dont know if I agree with that analysis.

He made some other interesting observations in that review, but the symbolism about the indian culture and US overtaking them was a bit odd.

Yeah, that kind of stuff is why I hated my film studies classes in school. I remember I had to write a paper about the imagery of 2001 once, and ended up talking about he use of color throughout the film; like the color of the spacesuits compared to the colors in HAL's eye, etc. I felt like I was just bullshitting my way through it, and a lot of this just seems like the same kind of bullshit.

RockStrongo 01-10-08 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Yeah, that kind of stuff is why I hated my film studies classes in school. I remember I had to write a paper about the imagery of 2001 once, and ended up talking about he use of color throughout the film; like the color of the spacesuits compared to the colors in HAL's eye, etc. I felt like I was just bullshitting my way through it, and a lot of this just seems like the same kind of bullshit.

Yes, some of his observations are subjective. But, many of the things he points out seem correct and undebatable. For example, the models in EWS telling Dr. Bill that they would see him "where the rainbow ends"...the costume store was called "Rainbow costumes" and there were no christmas lights at Somerton. Thus, they were most likely at the orgy at Somerton.

Watch his 2001 review and you might think differently. He describes the meaning of the monolith and I have no doubt that he figured it out.

Drexl 01-11-08 06:58 PM

I don't know about this guy. He has a map of the hotel in The Shining and points out that there couldn't be a window behind Ullman's office. He says this is Kubrick playing with our sense of space. Gee, it couldn't be that Kubrick shot the film on sets and didn't bother to check if everything was architecturally correct, could it?

PopcornTreeCt 01-11-08 08:45 PM

My response to Rob Ager:
That's just like, your opinion man.

Johnny Zhivago 01-11-08 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
My response to Rob Ager:
That's just like, your opinion man.

<i>More film reviews coming soon:

The Big Lebowski</i>

Shit, it's your lucky day... ;)

An4h0ny 01-11-08 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
... to where I actually think (Eyes Wide Shut is) one of Kubrick's masterpieces.

urp

DthRdrX 01-12-08 12:00 AM

Rock, if you like Hitchcock films check out Donald Spoto's two books:

The Dark Side of Genius: The Life of Alfred Hitchcock
The Art of Alfred Hitchcock: Fifty Years of His Motion Pictures

I had a Hitchcock film class at a local college under one of Spoto's understudies and it was terrific.

RockStrongo 01-12-08 08:35 AM

Cool thanks....Ill check it out!

PopcornTreeCt 01-14-08 09:34 PM

I was reading stuff about Tom Cruise and scientology and it reminded of Eyes Wide Shut.

Art imitates life.

andrewlucas 02-03-10 09:29 AM

Re: Film Analysis on Kubrick/Hitchcock by Rob Ager

Originally Posted by FinkPish (Post 8420592)

It's not restricted to his so-called Film Reviews. Try this, "Rob Ager Film Review Or Never Use the Internet unless telling the truth"
it's on vimeo.com/9140994

Bullxxxx springs to mind
Andrew