Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Run Fatboy Run (Simon Pegg) - 3/28/2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Run Fatboy Run (Simon Pegg) - 3/28/2008

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Since when does Average = Mediocre ?
Old 02-22-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Main Entry: mediocre
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: average
mediocre [miːdiˈoukə] adjective
not very good or great; ordinary
Example: a mediocre performance/effort
Synonyms: characterless, colorless, common, commonplace, conventional, decent, dull, fair, fairish, humdrum*, indifferent, inferior, insignificant, intermediate, mainstream, mean, medium, middling, moderate, ordinary, passable, pedestrian, run-of-the-mill*, second-rate, so-so*, standard, starch, tolerable, undistinguished, unexceptional, uninspired, vanilla*
Old 02-22-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2

seriously?
Old 02-22-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Search is your friend.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=510118
Old 02-22-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Who exactly is this directed to and what exactly is your point? I did a search under just "Run". And guess what? NOTHING came up. But under "Fatboy", two threads appeared. I posted on the most current discussion.
Old 02-22-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
seriously?
They stop teaching vocabulary in 3rd grade here

Always assumed it was a notch below (a C- to average's C), the more you know.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-22-08 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
OP. I wasn't knocking anybody for posting in this thread. I was just point out that one had already been started.
Old 02-22-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I saw this earlier today. Pretty good movie...nothing spectacular but it was good for a few laughs.
Old 02-23-08, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not expecting much on this but I'm still gonna see it.
Old 03-21-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The reviews are mixed, and rightfully so. I still stand by my comments. If you have to see this film, don't pay full price.

Thought this was humorous. One review the ad is touting says "'Shaun of the Dead' meets 'Wedding Crashers'". WTF!? It's not like either.

Last edited by Daytripper; 03-21-08 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-21-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
once again proving that Michael Ian Black shouldn't write scripts. Great cast, but it was so paint by numbers, Pegg's character is so much of a loser you don't care about him or what he does and Hank Aazaria is too likeable so he's not a good villian.

Best thing in the movie is Dylan Moran, and I suspect he ad libbed most of his lines.
Old 03-28-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll bump.... this thread.

This was a great, fun movie and hope all the Shaun/ Fuzz fans will go see it this weekend. It was a really movie with a heart. Check it out!
Old 03-28-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I'll bump.... this thread.

This was a great, fun movie and hope all the Shaun/ Fuzz fans will go see it this weekend. It was a really movie with a heart. Check it out!

Well, I think many Shaun/Fuzz fans will see it. But they will be sorely disappointed. Expect an Adam Sandler rom-com type film. Nothing close to Shaun/Fuzz.
Old 03-28-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Saw this today and thought it was hilarious. The blister joke had the audience in stitches. And by the end of it all you will be cheering like you were the first time you saw ROCKY. This movie is almost like an episode of SPACED, so if you love SPACED, you'll love this. Hard to believe that Joey guy from FRIENDS directed this.

Simon Pegg can do no wrong and Thandie Newton is hot hot hot. Nice to see her cast in a comedy for a change.
Old 03-29-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Just saw this tonight with a friend of mine.

I thought it was just alright. I loved all the scenes with Simon Pegg and Dylan Moran though.

Have to admit the blister joke was amazing
Old 03-29-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Hard to believe that Joey guy from FRIENDS directed this.
Actually, that Ross guy directed it
Old 03-29-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was good...not great though. More cute than funny...and the blister bit was SICK! Simon Pegg and Dylan Moran were awesome, but I thought Hank Azaria's character was kind of flat and didn't like Mr. Ghoshdashtidar - most of his stuff felt so 'sitcom' that it bugged me. A good matinee or rental, but not as good as I was expecting.
Old 03-29-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Run Fatboy Run" starts awkwardly, never really gaining a strong footing in establishing Dennis (played by Simon Pegg) as someone you would find sympathetic enough to root for in this somewhat bland comedy about a guy who runs out on his wedding (pregnant bride and all) 5 years ago, and becomes competitive when a new suitor (Whit played by Hank Azaria) shows up for the mother (Libby played by Thandie Newton) of his child (Jake) and somewhat compels Dennis into running an upcoming marathon to prove his worth. Tonally, the film is a mix bag of decent comedy bits in few spots, but sags for most of the running time, and overall, it never really comes together well.

David Schwimmer (Ross from "Friends") directs this film, and does an average job, but isn't able to elevate the script (by Michael Ian Black, best known as Phil Stubbs on "Ed", and Simon Pegg) for most of its running time, and this results in a hodge-podge of scenes that leaves the film disjointed and uninvolving. If you're a fan of Simon Pegg and his films, I'd recommend an afternoon matinee viewing at best.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.
Old 03-31-08, 08:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i'll double post this since i just saw it and thought it was great.

RFbR has got to be one of the funniest, endearing, all around great movies i have seen in sometime.

i was so surprised at how much i liked it. i think it is just Simon Pegg who oozes with everyman charm. he is a schlub, but one that any man can relate to. this was done so well i thought. i laughed hysterically at parts and it warmed by cockles at others.

i genuinely loved this move and was so happy i saw it. despite the somewhat negative reviews, if you go in with little expectation and really enjoy Simon Pegg for who he is you will love, perhaps not as much as SotD, but i enjoyed it a lot more than Hot Fuzz.

this was one very good movie, done well throughout and Schwimmer couldn't have picked a better debut. i left with giddy delight.