Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Gordon Green's "Snow Angels" - March 2008

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-03-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the Warner Bros. website, David Gordon Green's Snow Angels is finally being released this March. The trailer is pretty compelling, and I'll see anything that Green directs. I know the movie has been mentioned in the Pineapple Express thread, but thought it deserved one of its own.

Here's the trailer:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/luOsqLX5feY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/luOsqLX5feY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I love the "sledgehammer in my heart" line. Reminiscent, in tone, at least, of the "garden on a trampoline" line in All the Real Girls.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 01-04-08, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm glad this is finally getting released.
Old 01-04-08, 05:44 AM

Cool! I'll check this out.
Old 01-04-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks nice. Since it's through Warner Indp. this most likely means a limited release that won't play around here.
Old 03-12-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
After seeing some very positive reviews from last weekend, I'm looking forward to this one.

http://wip.warnerbros.com/snowangels

Here are the release dates:

MARCH 7
New York, NY

MARCH 14

Los Angeles, CA

MARCH 21
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Denver, CO
Detroit, MI
Minneapolis, MN
Philadelphia, PA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Toronto
Washington, DC

MARCH 28
Atlanta, GA
Cincinnati, OH
Cleveland, OH
Hartford, CT
Indianapolis, IN
Milwaukee, WI
Montreal
Orange County, CA
Portland, OR
San Diego, CA
St. Louis, MO
Vancouver

APRIL 4
Austin, TX
Baltimore, MD
Charlotte, NC
Columbus, OH
Dallas, TX
Des Moines, LA
Houston, TX
Kansas City, MO
Lexington, KY
Louisville, KY
Madison, WI
Miami, FL
Monterey, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Pittsburgh, PA
Providence, RI
Sacramento, CA
Salt Lake City, UT
San Jose, CA
Old 03-13-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This looks great, and I'll be checking it out as soon as I can.
Old 03-13-08, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no Rochester or Buffalo, NY

come on!
Old 03-13-08, 01:10 AM
Banned

LA, oh yeah!
Old 03-13-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully, if it does well enough in limited release, it'll go wide enough to come to Grand Rapids or Muskegon.
Old 03-15-08, 08:46 PM
Banned

Just saw this film this morning. Incredible, probably my second favorite DGG film behind George Washington. DGG did a short Q&A after the screening too, which was cool. Cool guy.
Old 03-22-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 146 Posts
Just saw it too. Great film. Beckinsale has never been better. Not a likeable character though. She was such a bitch to Rockwell. Who she knew had issues. I just squirmed everytime she yelled obscenities at him. Knowing he's a time bomb. Very intense stuff. And heartbreaking. Rating: 9/10.
Old 09-18-08, 08:28 PM
Banned

This was a masterpiece. I loved , loved, loved this film. By far Green's best film. This should have been released last December in time for Oscar consideration. This was truly tragic and beautiful and sweet film and it is rare to find a film with all these elements. The love story between the high schoolers was absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite romances Ive seen in a film. The ending was tragic but it felt like it was the only way something like this could have ended. Shakespearean almost.
Old 09-18-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
This was a masterpiece. I loved , loved, loved this film. By far Green's best film. This should have been released last December in time for Oscar consideration. This was truly tragic and beautiful and sweet film and it is rare to find a film with all these elements. The love story between the high schoolers was absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite romances Ive seen in a film. The ending was tragic but it felt like it was the only way something like this could have ended. Shakespearean almost.
Everything you said....so true. This is the film that should be re-released for Oscar consideration. Not effin' "The Dark Knight". I saw this in the theater last winter and thought immediately it was released at the wrong time of year. Because, sadly, it's going to be overlooked during awards season given it's release date. It's definitely one of the year's best. Full of Oscar worthy performances.
Old 09-21-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched this last night and was very disappointed. It was slow, depressing and tragic. I wanted to root for these people, but I couldn't muster up sympathy for anyone except the high school kids. It was like watching a train wreck without any redemption. Sam Rockwell surprised me though. I think that was his best performance.

All in all, I didn't like it at all. David Gordon Green's worst film including The Pineapple Express.

As for Oscar consideration, it's considered a 2007 film. Not that it being a 2008 film would help it's chances any.
Old 09-21-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I watched this last night and was very disappointed. It was slow, depressing and tragic. I wanted to root for these people, but I couldn't muster up sympathy for anyone except the high school kids. It was like watching a train wreck without any redemption. Sam Rockwell surprised me though. I think that was his best performance.

All in all, I didn't like it at all. David Gordon Green's worst film including The Pineapple Express.

As for Oscar consideration, it's considered a 2007 film. Not that it being a 2008 film would help it's chances any.
I feel the same way. I couldn't wait to see this but was rather disappointed. Great performances but the plot didn't amount to anything for me.
Loved the high school kids story but little else.
Old 09-22-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Considered by who? It played at Sundance in 2007. But opened in theaters in 3/08. So it very much qualifies for any Oscars this year. But doesn't stand a chance since the studio most likely won't even put any more money into any type of award campaigns since it was released so long ago. And didn't do well.
Old 09-22-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Considered by who? It played at Sundance in 2007. But opened in theaters in 3/08. So it very much qualifies for any Oscars this year. But doesn't stand a chance since the studio most likely won't even put any more money into any type of award campaigns since it was released so long ago. And didn't do well.
Doesn't Sundance count? I figured the release date was whenever the film first had a public showing. IMDB (not always accurate) shows it as a 2007 film.
Old 09-22-08, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

a masterpiece. just my two cents.
Old 09-22-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doesn't Sundance count? I figured the release date was whenever the film first had a public showing. IMDB (not always accurate) shows it as a 2007 film.
IMDB is correct. It did premiere in 2007, but I do believe all festival showings do not count in regards to Oscar consideration. Now, if it was shown in LA and/or NYC or anywhere in a "regular" theater in 2007 it would not be eligible this year.

Did Snow Angels even have a distributor when it premiered at Sundance? I think that may be one of the reasons why the Oscars don't consider festival showings.
Old 09-22-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by conscience View Post
IMDB is correct. It did premiere in 2007, but I do believe all festival showings do not count in regards to Oscar consideration. Now, if it was shown in LA and/or NYC or anywhere in a "regular" theater in 2007 it would not be eligible this year.

Did Snow Angels even have a distributor when it premiered at Sundance? I think that may be one of the reasons why the Oscars don't consider festival showings.

You are correct. Festival showings do not count. The movie must be released in the theater to qualify for the Oscars. And also, most films show at festivals to get a distributor.
Old 10-11-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man this was depressing! I loved it though, great performances all around.