Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Cross defends doing The Chipmunks movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

David Cross defends doing The Chipmunks movie

Old 01-03-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
David Cross being in it was the only reason I volunteered to take my little sister to go see it.
Old 01-03-08, 12:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, the issue is that he is well-known for berating other comedians for low-brow comedy -- but it's okay if he does it.
Isn't there a difference between basing your entire career on exploiting stereotypes (a la Larry The Cable Guy) and doing a few one off acting gigs to pay the rent?

Also, I'm willing to bet Cross showed this to Patton Oswald prior to putting it up and they both had a good laugh over it.
Old 01-03-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
I wish actors would just say "I did it to help pay the bills" instead of some long winded diatribe trying to justify the decision to naysayers.
I don't get it either. If one of the true acting greats of our time, Michael Caine can come out and say something to the effect of "their are two types of parts: the ones you do for the craft and the ones you do for money," then no actor should be ashamed to take a crap role to pay the bills.
Old 01-03-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think if anyone needs to defend his decision to star in this film it's Jason Lee, not Cross.
Old 01-03-08, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
he's the only reason i watch that movie when i comes on comedy central...that and chris elliot's baby arm.
I forgot how funny Chris Elliot was until I watched a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond a few days ago and he played the brother of Robert's girlfriend.
Old 01-03-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The drama continues. Here's Patton Oswalt's response to the response:

AN OPEN LETTER TO DAVID CROSS

or

I BRIEFLY RESPOND TO THE ONGOING NON-ISSUE

Did you hear the big news? No, silly pudding, not Bhutto’s assassination or the discovery of dozens of extra-solar planets. The dude from Arrested Development made a kid’s movie! And then the fat sidekick from King Of Queens said something about it! We’ve got to get to the surplus store before they run out of shotguns and MREs!

Shouldn’t something better-crafted than my MySpace blog be a cultural bellwether? Besides, the offending entry that sort of, partly-but-not-really started all this hoo-ha (“Godawful/Thank God” on December 10th, 2007) didn’t get a third of the comments some of my other blog entries inspired (“OMG HIGH SCHOOL MUSCIAL 2 Completely Rulz!!!!!” got 402, which is still nowhere near as close as “James Spader Was Sooooooo Mean to Me in Line at the Newsroom Café!”, the champion with 512).

Also, I don’t think anyone read the entire entry. Including you.

Here’s the offending, “snide” passage:

“Oddly enough, both Brian Posehn and I were offered the part of Ian, the agent. We both threw the script across the room in disgust. David Cross caught it.”

That is a snide comment. However, it was intended as a snide, private in-joke between us.

I doubt you remember this, but back in March of 2006 I was in New York, and ran into you at Rififi. I was wearing a suit, and without anyone asking about it or being the least bit interested (unlike you, I am in constant, panick-y worry about what people think of me), I explained, “I just came from the premiere of Failure To Launch.” I had a tiny, three-line part in the movie, and I used it as a way to scam Paramount into flying me to Manhattan for a few days. In fact, later that evening during the Invite Them Up show, I gave my four afterparty passes to some random audience members, and wished them luck getting in. That’s ‘cuz I’m a dangerous rebel.

But you said, after I told you about being in Failure To Launch, “Man, they sent me that script, and I read ten pages and threw it across the room.” Then you added, “I guess you caught it.”

Well, I thought that was hilarious. I really did. As far as I’m concerned, I sold out when I took that free plate of buffalo wings at Rumors Nightclub near Dulles Airport in the summer of 1989, at my first paid stand-up gig ($50 – I got the buffalo wings for hosting a belching contest afterwards). Ever since then, the only criteria for my career path is, “How entertaining will this be for me, and how much money can I get?” Getting to work with Brad Bird at Pixar met both those criteria perfectly. But spending a month and a half in Vancouver, watching Wesley Snipes have a slow-motion meltdown in Blade: Trinity, was equally valuable and enriching. Reputation, posterity and cool are traps. Shaky Kane said that, I think.

(*One night, at a dive bar after the day’s shooting, the director, me, and Ron Perlman convinced a group of bikers – “convinced” = “bought them a lot of alcohol” – to show up with the director for the next day’s filming after Wesley tried to strangle said director the day before).

Thus, my desire to work with Paul Greengrass, Martin Scorsese and Ang Lee is equal to my desire to work with Nicholas Cage, Tom Cruise and Carlos Mencia. I want the money, and the anecdotes.

So I stupidly assumed you’d remember that exchange from March of 2006 (and you would have, if you’d ever use one of those Hannah Montana “My First Diary” Memory Books I keep sending you for your birthday), which is why I put it in my blog.

About that entry. Did anyone notice that, three paragraphs earlier, I’m laughing about whoring myself out to Spike TV for the VGAs? Or that, one sentence after my “snide” remark, I’m pissing all over any hipsters for bitching about Alvin and the Chimpmunks, and its lack of quality or soul?

Well, no. I guess it was juicier to make this into the sissy-boy tea-party purse-fight that it’s become. And the comments, both in The A.V. Club and on www.aspecialthing.com have been very entertaining, as always.

I don’t care what any of my friends – or, for that matter, enemies – does to pay the bills. Although any message board tempest, to me, is super-entertaining, and I hope some shut-in finds a way to keep this going. I think my role in this is finished, so it’s up to someone else to mention your massive cash donations to Operation Rescue, or your upcoming tour with Toby Keith.

Let’s go get dinner somewhere soon, and laugh about this over a bottle of Integrity Vineyards Shiraz. Or let fate take us where it will, and I promise we will look back fondly on this meaty mess from the set of Hungry Hungry Hippos: The Movie. Scorsese’s already announced it for 2010.

Fondly,

PATTON OSWALT

Written from my Bill Hicks-shaped pool in the East Wing of Sierra Mist Manor; Burbank, CA

P.S. Please name your cottage either AlvinWycke or Chipmunk Terrace.

P.P.S. In any and all future personal conflicts, I propose we continue communicating with each other like Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley. I call dibs on Vidal!
http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/p...swalt_responds
Old 01-03-08, 03:44 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Who?

(Referenced to Larry the Cable Guy thread)
Old 01-03-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts
Cross and Oswalt are my new idols! No not really, my idol is the God of Internet Adrenaline who surely must be oozing sweat like an over-ripe kumquat over the amount of time and energy everyone in the world spends reading and writing blather on the internet (including myself). When did everyone become such good writers? (And why did I waste that kumquat bit on a forum? Where be tha monee?)

Anyway, I'm sure all those writing about this have jobs that hold up to the scrutiny of those arbiters of integrity and honor. Yep, no wage slaves out there!

Now I'm-a go back to sponging off of my wife.

Send offers.
Old 01-03-08, 04:00 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by David Cross
Hello, David here. I've internally debated the merits of addressing my appearance in, (and thus tacit condoning of) "Alvin and The Chipmunks". I am not stupid nor unobservant. I knew going into this movie that I would be eating a lot of delicious shit for it. Usually I wouldn't give a shit about what everyone's feelings are about it, but I wasn't prepared for the level, or amount I should say, of vitriol that's been flung about like so much monkey poo. But then I read Patton's snide comment in his blog about how he and Brian were offered the part and how they then chucked the script in disgust only to have it hungrily intercepted from it's intended trajectory into the incinerator by me, a money hungry whore sell out, (I'm paraphrasing). That got under my skin and I stewed a little and because I stupidly (and vainly) have a "Google Alert" for myself, got to read various blogs, and posts questioning my integrity and talent, specifically because I chose to do the movie.
What a sad and pathetic little man.
Old 01-03-08, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Now I'm positive this is all a series of in-jokes.
Old 01-03-08, 04:10 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

These two make Larry look classy by comparison.
Old 01-03-08, 04:15 PM

I realize I can look this up on IMDB but... and I'm not saying this as a joke... who is David Cross??

People take stuff too seriously these days. I'm 34 years old and not afraid to admit that I would watch the Chipmunks if given a chance. I'm not going out of my way for it, but if it was on cable or something, why the heck not? I loved those high-voiced rodents when I was a kid. Plenty of A-list actors have been in stinkers. Who cares?
Old 01-03-08, 04:17 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jray
I realize I can look this up on IMDB but... and I'm not saying this as a joke... who is David Cross??

I loved those high-voiced rodents when I was a kid. Plenty of A-list actors have been in stinkers. Who cares?
Plenty of David Cross fanboys/sycophants if his "open letter" is to be believed.
Old 01-03-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Now I'm positive this is all a series of in-jokes.
Of course it is. Cross has been in plenty of shitty movies. Now all of a sudden it bothers him? This is some big in joke between him and Oswalt.
Old 01-03-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Of course it is. Cross has been in plenty of shitty movies. Now all of a sudden it bothers him? This is some big in joke between him and Oswalt.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1094584/
Old 01-04-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I don't fault this prick for making money. However, this makes him a hypocrite as well as being unfunny.
He might be a hypocrite, but unfunny he is not.
Old 01-04-08, 12:32 AM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
Plenty of David Cross fanboys/sycophants if his "open letter" is to be believed.
Whom really, it seems, he has a genuine disdain for. Remember that SNL sketch when William Shatner tells the Star Trek nerds at a convention to get a life because it's just a tv show? David implies this sort of thing and seems to mean it (I'm at a loss of hard evidence to back my theory, though my memory of Mr. Show commentaries is where this idea resides).
Old 01-04-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Reading David Cross' remarks about the down payment on the house, I'm reminded of Michael Caine's comments on appearing in Jaws: The Revenge: "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."
Old 01-04-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I think if anyone needs to defend his decision to star in this film it's Jason Lee, not Cross.
This is true.
Old 01-04-08, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually saw the movie with my nephew, and we both enjoyed it. If you are going to this movie, you know what you are getting, so you can't really be shocked, given it is obviously targetting kids. And based on the amount of money this movie has made, I'd be betting on a sequel. I doubt that Cross would be asked back though
Old 01-04-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Maybe they needed to build another Scientology palace.
Old 01-04-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is all just a publicity stunt to get people to see Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Spoiler:

It's working!
Old 01-04-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
This is all just a publicity stunt to get people to see Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Spoiler:

It's working!
this isn't making me want to see alvin and the chipmunks. it's making me despise my 2 favorite working stand-up comedians for lowering themselves to this lame form of controversial marketing. something i thought both of these people would be totally against.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 01-05-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-05-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 01-05-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find it really hard to believe any actor who says they haven't seen a movie that they appeared in. I mean, maybe they didn't go to the premiere - but they got the DVD and watched it at home or on cable in the privacy of their home and rewound their part a couple of times to "study" it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.