Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Was the villain in Die Hard 3 really a stutterer?

Old 01-05-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a movie called "Die Hard 3"?
Old 01-05-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. It was the best one of the series.
Old 01-05-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently, he didn't up the voltage during his shock treatments.
Old 01-05-08, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer
??? Wow I love the movies but that is possibly one of the worst songs I have ever heard...
no sense of humor?
Old 08-13-16, 11:59 PM

Re: Was the villain in Die Hard 3 really a stutterer?

Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
This has kind of bugged me for awhile now. Any review I ever read of Die Hard with a Vengeance seems to mention the villain (Simon, played by Jeremy Irons) was a stutterer.

I maintain he was not a stutterer. Instead, during his initial phone conversation with John McClane, he stuttered on purpose to make the police suspect he was off balance and just some crazy loon rather than a guy with a master plan to steal all the gold from NYC.

You notice he never stutters again for the entire movie until near the end where he says, "And remember. This was all made possible thanks to the g-g-g-g-gullibility of the New York Police Department!"

So notice where he chooses to stutter - on the word "gullibility." The guy isn't stuttering. He's making fun of the NYPD for believing he was a stutterer.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. Thoughts?
Watching DieHard3 for the millionth time now and just wondered "why doesn't Simon stutter again throughout the movie after hearing him stutter on the phone call"....google search led me here. Excellent deduction. Never put it together with what he said at the end about gullible.
Old 08-14-16, 09:38 AM
Banned

wait. You thought he was a stutterer?
Old 08-14-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vice86 View Post
Watching DieHard3 for the millionth time now and just wondered "why doesn't Simon stutter again throughout the movie after hearing him stutter on the phone call"....google search led me here. Excellent deduction. Never put it together with what he said at the end about gullible.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
wait. You thought he was a stutterer?
Wait, you've been a DVDTalker for 14 years and you Googled this conundrum and that's what led you back here? Fucking fire the marketing department of this rudderless ship.
Old 08-14-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
LOL!

LOL!

LOL! Most braindead analysis ever.

Let me make it perfectly clear: He was toying with the police. That's why the stutter. To throw them off. that's why the Helsinki payphone, that's why playing with their telephones, that's why sending the cops around town: misdirection and distraction to divert their attention from what the real deal was: A big heist.

Remember, Simon "Peter Krieg" Gruber was just as cynical and money-lusting as his brother. Killing McClane in the process was just a bonus, not the objective.

This was a guy who ran his own rogue army squad consisting of I don't know how many vigilantes and terrorists - a guy who's an ex-Colonel.

This guy had things UNDER CONTROL - it's clear throughout the entire movie.

Why do you think he stuttered on "g-g-g-g-gullibility"? The very WAY he stuttered on that word should tell you he wasn't actually stuttering. the fact he stuttered on the word "gullibility" - the fact he was criticizing and mocking the police department on their incompetence (seeing how he could confuse them by setting up games here and there).

Seriously, get a brain. Your analysis is horrible. Of course, I hope you are joking.
I know it's been 8 years but what a Dick response!
Old 08-14-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mouthbreathers.
Old 08-14-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He was originally scripted to stutter through the whole picture, but scrapped that idea when Michael Palin left the project and was replaced by Jeremy Irons.
Now this is interesting. I did not know Michael Palin was originally cast.
Old 08-14-16, 10:44 AM
Banned

Nor did I.

Seriously though... it's obvious as fuck that he's not a stutterer. Jesus. Some of you fuckers need to know how to read basic facial expression and body language.
Old 08-14-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, two people Groucho'd 8 years after the fact.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post

Seriously though... it's obvious as fuck that he's not a stutterer. Jesus. Some of you fuckers need to know how to read basic facial expression and body language.

This... minus the condescending tone.
Old 08-14-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, this thread is the most interesting thing to come out of the stuttering in that film. Seriously, whether or not the character is actually a stutterer has such little effect on the awesomeness of the film that it hardly warrants consideration, much less the incendiary comments made in several comments in this thread.
Old 08-14-16, 11:24 AM
Banned

DH3 is a popcorn flick for sure but it's also fucking well made one that has some damn fine performances. I actually enjoy it more than DH1 cuz it's so fucking bombastic. It's not better but I love the fuck out of that one. It was actually the DH film that introduced me to franchise. So it was a hell of an experience for me as kid. That movie played like crazy on the USA channel. That and TBS.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-14-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-14-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing I remember about Die Hard 3 was seeing it at the theatre with a friend from high school, and two minutes before the movie ended, he got up and left. I thought he might have been heading to the bathroom, but when the credits rolled and I went out into the lobby, I discovered he had left. No, "Gotta go," no, "See you later, thanks for the movie". Never saw much of him after that, and have no idea what happened, and whether or not something in Die Hard 3 triggered his abrupt bailing.
Old 08-14-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its a well known fact that people who stutter are inherently evil.
Old 08-14-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Opened this thread thinking, "I wondered the same thing" only to discover I started it 8 years ago.

I think why some people don't realize he's faking it is because it's difficult to grasp the logic that faking a stutter would help them commit the crime of the century.
Old 08-14-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
The only thing I remember about Die Hard 3 was seeing it at the theatre with a friend from high school, and two minutes before the movie ended, he got up and left. I thought he might have been heading to the bathroom, but when the credits rolled and I went out into the lobby, I discovered he had left. No, "Gotta go," no, "See you later, thanks for the movie". Never saw much of him after that, and have no idea what happened, and whether or not something in Die Hard 3 triggered his abrupt bailing.
Did your friend have a stutter?

And in his defense, the last few minutes of Die Hard 3 did feel pretty tacked on.
Old 08-14-16, 11:08 PM
Banned

Opened this thread thinking, "I wondered the same thing" only to discover I started it 8 years ago.

I think why some people don't realize he's faking it is because it's difficult to grasp the logic that faking a stutter would help them commit the crime of the century.
Even as a kid, I could see he was faking it. Just look at the body language and his face as he's doing it.. the way he starts it and ends it. It's insanely obvious. Like there's no subtlety to it that he's putting it on, it's very obvious to us cuz we see him do it.
Old 08-15-16, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Wait, you've been a DVDTalker for 14 years and you Googled this conundrum and that's what led you back here? Fucking fire the marketing department of this rudderless ship.
lol, inorite? Now i have to go see what kinda threads I made back in 2002/2003 if they're still there. I forget why i joined here back then.
Old 08-15-16, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't seen it in years, but I think it was simply a tactic to disquise his voice/accent.
Old 08-15-16, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I haven't seen it in years, but I think it was simply a tactic to [disguise] his voice/accent.
If it was, it wasn't very effective. The Feds knew who he was almost instantly.

I could see him faking the stutter, but really it's such a minor plot point that doesn't even really affect the overall plot of the film. If fake, he uses it only once to make them think McClane upset him, and not really at any significant point in the film. If real, it doesn't really do anything except add a very minor character quirk.
Old 08-15-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Wow, two people Groucho'd 8 years after the fact.

Unreal
Old 08-15-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
If it was, it wasn't very effective. The Feds knew who he was almost instantly.
Effective enough for people in this thread.
Old 08-15-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Simon didn't really have a headache throughout the movie either. On some subconscious level he really wanted McClane to catch him, just like his brother, by purposely giving him the aspirin bottle.

Discuss...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.