Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
re: Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I put it on reserve on Blu-ray. I have a feeling there's going to be crazy demand for this one the day it comes out. Can't wait to see it.
I doubt it'll break the Top 10. While enthusiasts may know about the film the general audience will ignore it.
Old 09-29-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it but will wait till the BD gets around $10-12. Its not something I would watch over and over again like some other classic horror films. It did have some great characters and scenes but I just dont see that much replay value in it.
Old 09-29-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
^ Really? We can't discuss it, but here's some clues:

The same way people always watch stuff before it premieres.
The same way foreigners watch US shows the day after they air
The same way people watch leaked pre-air episodes.
Can you be more specific?
Old 09-29-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I doubt it'll break the Top 10. While enthusiasts may know about the film the general audience will ignore it.
Probably should have been more specific.

I think the demand will far surpass the supply initially, especially on BD. We'll see - I could be totally off!
Old 09-29-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
^ Really? We can't discuss it, but here's some clues:

The same way people always watch stuff before it premieres.
The same way foreigners watch US shows the day after they air
The same way people watch leaked pre-air episodes.
You forgot one...
Magic. That's my secret at any rate.
Old 10-06-09, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's my review:

http://www.cinamerica.com/?p=1325

Generally liked it very, very much. Great stories with some nice touches of comedy and true dread at times, and a fine cast.
Old 10-06-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

This movie didn't live up to the hype by any stretch, but it is a fun little movie and I sort of understand why it was straight to video (similar to how I felt Taken was a straight-to-video level movie that was also extremely entertaining) but think it would have done fine theatrically.

I really enjoyed the
Spoiler:
werewolves plotline as I didn't see it coming, it put a smile on my face
Old 10-07-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not share the enthusiasm. I found Trick 'r Treat to be formless and dull.

While it's certainly nice to have a horror film about Halloween for a change, the film's disadvantages outweigh the good parts. The direction is all over the place and the tone shifts without reason, running the gamut from "Goosebumps"-level horror to comic horror and back again, usually in the same vignette. The pacing is poor, with the individual stories having events just happen apparently with no building of tension or interest, their finales not interesting enough to save what came before. While not especially bad, the stories are worse for being boring.

That's not to say it's pathetic. There are a lot of good things in the film - the character of Rhonda, Dylan Baker, the ending of the Girls' party vignette, the gorgeous art direction and set dressing - but for the most part it's an underwritten mess.
Old 10-07-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I definitely thought the second half was superior to the first, but I enjoyed the flick overall.

Definitely didn't live up to the hype, but there was no way it could.
Old 10-07-09, 05:43 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I honestly was pleasantly surprised by the whole movie. Since seeing the original trailer I was excited for its release and tried my best to avoid potential spoilers.

For me the trailer was nothing like how the movie was, and that actually caught me off guard - but in a good way. I thought the storyline was unique, acting excellent, great directing and visually perfect.

One of the best horror movies I've seen in a while, and certainly beats a lot of the modern day teen slasher movies or even remakes (I'm looking at you TCM, My Bloody Valentine et al)
Old 10-07-09, 10:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with DVDMagic I thought this was quite enjoyable - the only thing I agree with DonnachaOne is the great art design. It's waaay better than the other recent anthology movie 'Trapped Ashes'
Old 10-08-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the Blu-ray from Netflix and watched it last night.

I thought it was well put together, but it didn't live up to the hype. I loved how Dougherty jumps around in time to tell the various stories and how they all eventually tie together, but some of the stories were just not entertaining. The teenagers who go and visit the site of the school bus crash along with Brian Cox's segment were the two best. The party segment was pretty pedestrian until the last few minutes and Dylan Baker's segment didn't grab my attention as the other stories did.

It's one of the better horror films released in a while, but in a genre that's been pretty lackluster for the past year or two, it's not saying much. I wish Warner would've given this a theatrical release, but I can also see how such an offbeat film is hard to market.
Old 10-08-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thought it was really weak.

Sure, most anthology films have their stronger segments and their bad ones, but if you actually played Trick r Treats stories in order, without the gimmicky tie-in mash-up, they are very bland. The mix up storytelling masks this a little, but by the end I was underwhelmed.

A real case of the cult world getting up in arms over nothing. The studio was right to sit on it and dump it DTV. Its an okay rental, but nothing more.
Old 10-08-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Thought it was really weak.

Sure, most anthology films have their stronger segments and their bad ones, but if you actually played Trick r Treats stories in order, without the gimmicky tie-in mash-up, they are very bland. The mix up storytelling masks this a little, but by the end I was underwhelmed.

A real case of the cult world getting up in arms over nothing. The studio was right to sit on it and dump it DTV. Its an okay rental, but nothing more.
Ok, now think for a second about all of the crap like the recent remakes of Prom Night, The Fog, Sorority Row and all of the other shit like The Unborn that studios give a wide release to...

You really think this movie didn't deserve better?
Old 10-08-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Ok, now think for a second about all of the crap like the recent remakes of Prom Night, The Fog, Sorority Row and all of the other shit like The Unborn that studios give a wide release to...

You really think this movie didn't deserve better?
Yeah, its unfortunate, but when you figure in the business of marketing, those films are an easier sell to not risk much and maybe make some profit. Trick r Treat doesn't skew the same, unless they maybe sold it purely on the Paquin, pretty girls segment. I can see why, despite it being a low budget film, they didn't want to take the risk of pushing it into theaters and then not making that theatrical marketing money back.
Old 10-08-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the jumping around in time gimmick felt stale/cliche and would have preferred the film if it was more linear... and sure, Trick 'R Treat was better than The Unborn and Prom Night but WB didn't release any of those movies... if you look at WB's horror slate, it's pretty light... the only recent thing that comes to mind is ORPHAN, which I actually thought was better than this.
Old 10-08-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I quite enjoyed this. At first I thought the acting and story were ridiculous. The couple coming home from a party and the woman insisiting on taking down the outside decorations at night, on Halloween (who does that!?). But then I remembered that almost every horror movie has had a plethora of "yeah, right" moments. So it almost felt like an homage to those films. Overall, I thought it was well shot and a cut above (no pun) all the other movies in this genre these past few years. The last 30 minutes were the best IMO.
Old 10-09-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No surprise here. Sequel talk has popped up and here's what Doherty had to say:

“Yeah, I have to say that the excitement over the past few months of watching the film grow has started to jumpstart some ideas, and I know how the next one ends... If this [DVD release] does become something, if it catches executives off-guard, it might [get sequels]. I would love to do them."

Personally, I love the film so I'm ok with this.
Old 10-09-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
No surprise here. Sequel talk has popped up and here's what Doherty had to say:

“Yeah, I have to say that the excitement over the past few months of watching the film grow has started to jumpstart some ideas, and I know how the next one ends... If this [DVD release] does become something, if it catches executives off-guard, it might [get sequels]. I would love to do them."

Personally, I love the film so I'm ok with this.
Old 10-09-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I quite enjoyed this. At first I thought the acting and story were ridiculous. The couple coming home from a party and the woman insisiting on taking down the outside decorations at night, on Halloween (who does that!?). But then I remembered that almost every horror movie has had a plethora of "yeah, right" moments. So it almost felt like an homage to those films. Overall, I thought it was well shot and a cut above (no pun) all the other movies in this genre these past few years. The last 30 minutes were the best IMO.
I dont think the situation of her wanting to take down the decorations ASAP was all the ridiculous, it was obvious (and well stated) that she hated Halloween and knew if she didn't do it they would still be up when her mother arrived the next day.

Anyways, loved this movie so much. Would be up for properly done sequels.
Old 10-09-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Trick r Treat doesn't skew the same, unless they maybe sold it purely on the Paquin, pretty girls segment. I can see why, despite it being a low budget film, they didn't want to take the risk of pushing it into theaters and then not making that theatrical marketing money back.
The studio was right to sit on it and dump it DTV. Its an okay rental, but nothing more.
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I wish Warner would've given this a theatrical release, but I can also see how such an offbeat film is hard to market.
TRICK 'R TREAT would've been a very easy and simple film to market, and probably would've done solid business.

It's my understand that WB didn't sit on the film out of fear of wasting advertising bucks. They were skittish about the violent content involving
Spoiler:
children.
Old 10-09-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Exactly. Anyone who has seen the film will no doubt agree. That's a tough sell for any film, horror or not.
Old 10-10-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I friend recommend me this movie. I don't follow horror movies, meaning I don't check any websites, magazines or sites like that, but I see my good fair of horror movies every year. I knew it had some buzz and a lot of people were talking good things about this movie.

I enjoyed the general idea of the movie, it was different from current roster of horror movies we see now at theaters. And it's a decent horror movie. Definetely not a good movie in the general sense, but a fine horror movie.

It has some scenes that are really scary, something hard to find in today's horror movies, so I recommend this movie to all the horror fans.
Old 10-10-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
Well, I friend recommend me this movie. I don't follow horror movies, meaning I don't check any websites, magazines or sites like that, but I see my good fair of horror movies every year. I knew it had some buzz and a lot of people were talking good things about this movie.

I enjoyed the general idea of the movie, it was different from current roster of horror movies we see now at theaters. And it's a decent horror movie. Definetely not a good movie in the general sense, but a fine horror movie.

It has some scenes that are really scary, something hard to find in today's horror movies, so I recommend this movie to all the horror fans.
i hate statements like that.
Old 10-10-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wow, i cant believe how many ppl are hating on this movie and are "disappointed" in it. This was better than any of the crappy horror movies that have come out in the past few years (possibly longer). I can easily put this in my top 5 of horror movies.

I heard about the sequel and am already looking forward to it. Hopefully that movie doesnt get put on the shelf like this did.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.