Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Old 10-10-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
re: Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I dont think the situation of her wanting to take down the decorations ASAP was all the ridiculous, it was obvious (and well stated) that she hated Halloween and knew if she didn't do it they would still be up when her mother arrived the next day.

Anyways, loved this movie so much. Would be up for properly done sequels.
I love this movie too. But give me a break. Taking down the decorations late at night after coming home drunk from a party? ALL those decorations?? No way. What, was her mother coming over on November 1st in the early AM.?? Sorry, not buying it.
Old 10-11-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i hate statements like that.
But it's often true. To be a horror fan means cutting a lot of movies some slack.
Old 10-11-09, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I love this movie too. But give me a break. Taking down the decorations late at night after coming home drunk from a party? ALL those decorations?? No way. What, was her mother coming over on November 1st in the early AM.?? Sorry, not buying it.
if you think abouit the sequence of events, it would't have mattered if she was taking the decorations down or not

Spoiler:
she blew out the light in the pumpkin, which was keeping "spirits" away from her home. once he saw her do that, she was marked, and he was going to trick 'r treat her house regardless if she was outside. also, being drunk you do stupid stuff

loved it too, one of my favorite flicks i've watched this year
Old 10-11-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watching it right now. "CHARLIE BROWN'S AN ASSHOLE!" might get my nomination for funniest line of dialogue of the year.
Old 10-11-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm afraid I also found this move very dull, and waiting for it to end.

I had such high hopes based upon the reviews here which may have been the biggest problem. I'll give it another viewing in a few weeks, but overall was very disappointed I'm afraid.
Old 10-11-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I'm afraid I also found this move very dull, and waiting for it to end.

I had such high hopes based upon the reviews here which may have been the biggest problem. I'll give it another viewing in a few weeks, but overall was very disappointed I'm afraid.
Decided to watch this tonight. I really liked it but can see how you feel but having said that; since you were expecting "so much more" which in my opinion, is a statement that absolutely no film will EVER meet....watch it again. I know I need to before I give a more solid opinion about the film.

But here's what threw me off:

Spoiler:
I really started hating the film because of three "tween" type chicks and the typical hollywood bullshit formula. Once their reveal happened, It threw me for a HUGE loop....I was not expecting that AT ALL and since it went down that way....the movie became even more aggressive but since I was not digging while first watching, I started to become uninterested...so shame on me.

Also, I wasn't quite sure about the ending with the old man/bus driver - but now I'm slowly realizing that was the icing on the cake.

I just need to watch it again now that I know what to expect - I still dug it as it has a great pace and I do not see anything wrong with the direction.

I'll throw this one in again on halloween - I'm sure I'll like it a lot more as well - reall dig that creepy little pumpkin dude as well.
Old 10-11-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Decided to watch this tonight. I really liked it but can see how you feel but having said that; since you were expecting "so much more" which in my opinion, is a statement that absolutely no film will EVER meet....watch it again. I know I need to before I give a more solid opinion about the film.

But here's what threw me off:

Spoiler:
I really started hating the film because of three "tween" type chicks and the typical hollywood bullshit formula. Once their reveal happened, It threw me for a HUGE loop....I was not expecting that AT ALL and since it went down that way....the movie became even more aggressive but since I was not digging while first watching, I started to become uninterested...so shame on me.

Also, I wasn't quite sure about the ending with the old man/bus driver - but now I'm slowly realizing that was the icing on the cake.

I just need to watch it again now that I know what to expect - I still dug it as it has a great pace and I do not see anything wrong with the direction.

I'll throw this one in again on halloween - I'm sure I'll like it a lot more as well - reall dig that creepy little pumpkin dude as well.
Not to mention, it had fantastic cinematography. The flashback scene with the school bus? Just beautiful!
Old 10-11-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Not to mention, it had fantastic cinematography. The flashback scene with the school bus? Just beautiful!
Absolutely, and I have no doubts about why it didn't get a theatrical release (because of the "children") - that is easily the reason, I haven't seen a film this dark (regardless of the dark humor involved) involving killings like that in a while. Half the reason wb was cautious is because the film doesn't even try to downplay it at all, in fact...it instead goes right for the throat by going on a revenge trip.

Having lieterally just got done watching this an hour ago, having time to let it sink in, and going by my own last comments...I can't wait to watch it again on halloween.
Old 10-11-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Sam was def my fav part of the movie. I didn't think it was great, but pretty good. I went back and watched some of it again...and appreciated the connections between the storylines more...and the production values are very good on it. For me, the kids paying respects to the school bus tragedy was the weakest story, and I guessed the identity of the bus driver right away (and I'm not that smart, movies usually fool me) Other than that, Dylan Baker showing up as the other character didn't work for me at all... I wasn't convinced. Anyone else feel the same?

If the director really was up for sequels he shouldn't have killed off so many characters I thought... but other that... give me "Sam: the movie" and I'll be happy.
Old 10-12-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need to watch more of Dylan Baker. I can only remember him as the pedo guy from Happiness. So when he started talking to the kid I thought: "Oh no! Happiness again!".

And I actually liked his story.
Old 10-12-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
If the director really was up for sequels he shouldn't have killed off so many characters I thought... but other that... give me "Sam: the movie" and I'll be happy.
My guess is a sequel would be another anthology with different stories. No need for returning characters with that path.
Old 10-14-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
My guess is a sequel would be another anthology with different stories. No need for returning characters with that path.
With all the buzz on this ... could this be the first movie released direct-to-video to get a theatrical sequel? (And before you go there, don't mention High School Musical.)
Old 10-15-09, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
With all the buzz on this ... could this be the first movie released direct-to-video to get a theatrical sequel? (And before you go there, don't mention High School Musical.)
No chance in hell. If there's a sequel to this, it'll most likely be a much cheaper production and go direct-to-video.

This film only has buzz within circles of horror fanboys and movie fanatics (basically just us).

Ask anyone outside of those circles if they've even heard of this movie, people will just look at you with a confused glare on their face.
Old 10-15-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
No chance in hell. If there's a sequel to this, it'll most likely be a much cheaper production and go direct-to-video.

This film only has buzz within circles of horror fanboys and movie fanatics (basically just us).

Ask anyone outside of those circles if they've even heard of this movie, people will just look at you with a confused glare on their face.
I know, I've asked so many people if they've heard of this flick and they have no idea - damn shame too. It's not like it's a shitty movie at all either. I still think it's funny (although it doesn't matter) that a site like rotten tomatoes only has 11 reviews all which are mainly from the top horror site reviewers out there.
Old 10-16-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's cool the kid from 'Bad Santa' is still getting parts.

I'm watching this again on Blu Ray now.
Old 10-16-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this movie was wonderful. About as perfect a Halloween movie as you could ask for.

I liked a few of the stories better than others, with the School Bus story standing head and shoulders above everything else. This is the kind of movie that would be great to watch as a halloween party is dying down, or just to watch to get you in the mood for the season.
Old 10-18-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drav3n
wow, i cant believe how many ppl are hating on this movie and are "disappointed" in it. This was better than any of the crappy horror movies that have come out in the past few years (possibly longer). I can easily put this in my top 5 of horror movies.

I heard about the sequel and am already looking forward to it. Hopefully that movie doesnt get put on the shelf like this did.
I agree with you. I think it is too different for most people. Its like when you get a new show and its different than all the other Doctor and Lawyer shows and people don't give it a chance.
I think this movie is not your typical horror movie and is a bit too complex for most people.
Old 10-18-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
I need to watch more of Dylan Baker. I can only remember him as the pedo guy from Happiness. So when he started talking to the kid I thought: "Oh no! Happiness again!".

Pedo in Spanish means " fart ".
Old 10-18-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Halloween flick. I had a lot of fun watching this. Reminded me a lot of Tales From the Crypt. Good stuff.
Old 10-19-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
It's cool the kid from 'Bad Santa' is still getting parts.
Well, at the very least he was when he got this part in Trick 'R Treat over 3 years ago.
Old 10-20-09, 12:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got around to seeing this last night. I LOVE the way this movie captures the spirit of Halloween, particularly the three 'ages' of Halloween fun: kids trick-or-treating, teens playing pranks, and adults partying. The school bus story was my favorite of the bunch, and I actually think it could have worked as a standalone feature.

I love the Sam character and the idea behind what he represents, but I hated the
Spoiler:
unmasking. The character went from creepy to goofy in one fell swoop with that reveal. It's even worse because it's spoiler on the case and the whole time I was thinking "Aww, I just know he's going to be that silly pumpkin thing under that mask". It would have been better to have just kept him mysterious.
Old 10-20-09, 08:48 PM

Trick 'r Treat wins the award for Most Bungled Handling Of A Film, Ever, by a major studio.

Warner Bros sits on it for years and then dumps it on dvd, presumably because there's no interest.

Now, two weeks before Halloween, there's not a copy of it to be found (all the stores near me sold out in a week, and it's oos at most online sites), because they underestimated the demand.

Good one, WB.
Old 10-23-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I got my Sam several months ago using another gift card (Indiana Jones I think) and it is really cool. However, it is shameful that they added the code to the package if these were no longer available.
Old 10-23-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bryrob
Did anyone buy Trick r' Treat on Blu-Ray that isn't going to use the $25 Gift code for the 15" Sam figure? I would be greatly appreciative if I could get a code from someone. I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, but I really want to order the Sam figure from Sideshow Collectibles. Send a PM if you have one. Thanks.
The code is good for select merchandise, which oddly enough doesn't include Sam. The offer is for a $25 gift card, but only mentions that you can also purchase Sam at Sideshow.

Unless I missed something?
Old 10-23-09, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3

Definitely my favorite part of the movie. Dylan Baker is the man. I thought Trick 'r Treat was pretty good, but I cant say I loved it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.