DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Anybody Else Think... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/521337-anybody-else-think.html)

JohnSlider 12-31-07 12:11 PM

Anybody Else Think Polls Should Be Added To Movie Threads?

Does anybody else think we should add polls to all the movie threads in this forum? So members can rank the film and what they thought of it? I hate the idea of watering everyone's opinions down to a mere number, but lots of times I don't have time to read 9-10 pages of responses. I'd just like to see the general consensus without the need to skim.

Thoughts?

True_Story1011 12-31-07 12:14 PM

I like that idea... but it would probably get out of hand - like everything else on these boards! rotfl

BTW...OT: How do you think your going to do this next year in the 'Big Ten' With Rich Rodriguez? You should see the pissed off people here in WV. Its priceless. :up:

Maxflier 12-31-07 06:32 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Worth a try at least.

The Bus 12-31-07 06:57 PM

I had the "What movie are you seeing thread?" but I got like 8 responses for it each week so I figured it wasn't that popular.

I like the discussion though. Leave numbers to IMDB, Metacritic, RT, etc.

Shannon Nutt 12-31-07 07:04 PM

Hmm...I'm not sure. Let's have a poll and decide. ;)

hardercore 12-31-07 07:12 PM

Anybody else think thread titles that end with an ambiguous "..." should be completely abandoned in favour of thread titles that feature full sentences, that in turn allow us to know straight up what the fuck a thread is about?

JohnSlider 12-31-07 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Anybody else think thread titles that end with an ambiguous "..." should be completely abandoned in favour of thread titles that feature full sentences, that in turn allow us to know straight up what the fuck a thread is about?

Does anybody else agree that this guy is a...

argh923 12-31-07 07:26 PM

I think that....

majorjoe23 12-31-07 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by John Slider

...guy with a good point? Yes, I do...

Mr. Salty 12-31-07 07:44 PM

I agree that hardercore is completely right. Teaser thread titles suck, and the moderators have asked that they not be used.

JohnSlider 12-31-07 07:48 PM

How about instead of attacking the way the question was posed you just answer the damn thing? Jesus Christ, everything on this forum gets turned ass backwards because a few of you can't handle controlling your span of attention. I was simply proposing we add polls to the movie threads, how about we get a little more on topic and stop treading into the land of useless bullshit?

Won't let me edit the thread title anyways. <_<

Brack 12-31-07 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I had the "What movie are you seeing thread?" but I got like 8 responses for it each week so I figured it wasn't that popular.

I like the discussion though. Leave numbers to IMDB, Metacritic, RT, etc.

Well, to be fair, not everyone sees movies every week, so you're going to get sporadic results. Adding a poll to threads that won't get lost makes sense.

PopcornTreeCt 12-31-07 09:22 PM

No, I want to hear their words not a simple yes or no.

Lee Harvey Oswald 12-31-07 09:36 PM

I was simply proposing we add polls to the movie threads

Then why not put that in the thread title so people know what the hell the topic is about?

I think a poll is a fine idea, I guess the only issue would be that some movies get more than one thread. Or people change their minds after a second viewing.

Goat3001 12-31-07 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Yeah but the poll allows for both. Personally, I don't like reading pages and pages of reviews, since a lot of times it turns into fanboy bickering anyway. I would like to just have a quick glance at the poll results to see the general consenus. Sounds like a good idea to me and should be put in whenever a new movie thread is started.

If you don't like the poll idea just ignore the poll and start reading the posts.

JohnSlider 12-31-07 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

I understand that, but a lot of the time a film thread reaches 10-20 pages, I see like 4-5 films a month, that totals about 50-100 pages of reading. I check RT and other review sites, but when it gets down to it and I get time to read a couple of the threads I find I agree with the general consensus here. You talk like people would ONLY answer the poll, I highly doubt that would be the case. There would still be posts you could read, there would just also be a poll for those of us that don't have that much free time.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Yeah but the poll allows for both. Personally, I don't like reading pages and pages of reviews, since a lot of times it turns into fanboy bickering anyway. I would like to just have a quick glance at the poll results to see the general consenus. Sounds like a good idea to me and should be put in whenever a new movie thread is started.

If you don't like the poll idea just ignore the poll and start reading the posts.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Charlie Goose 01-02-08 08:37 AM

I like the idea, but that bring up another question. How to rate the movies, a scale of 1-10, 0 to 4 or 5 stars, or a simple thumbs up or down?

I don't often start threads on specific movies anyway. Usually when I want to post about a movie, there is already an existing thread about it.

Trevor 01-02-08 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
...guy with a good point? Yes, I do...

Great point actually. Your idea is good, I'd like to see it OP, but your thread title stinks.

Trevor 01-02-08 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I like the idea, but that bring up another question. How to rate the movies, a scale of 1-10, 0 to 4 or 5 stars, or a simple thumbs up or down?

I don't often start threads on specific movies anyway. Usually when I want to post about a movie, there is already an existing thread about it.

If we do this, I'd like to see the 1-10 scale used.

Jackskeleton 01-02-08 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I agree that hardercore is completely right. Teaser thread titles suck, and the moderators have asked that they not be used.

I was going to post this. Teaser threads really are the worse things to the site. Come on, put a little effort in the subject title. It tells us what the subject is going to be about.

JohnSlider 01-02-08 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I was going to post this. Teaser threads really are the worse things to the site. Come on, put a little effort in the subject title. It tells us what the subject is going to be about.

WE'VE ESTABLISHED THAT!

How about we concentrate on answering the question. I understand teaser thread titles are annoying, but are they as annoying as people who blatantly disregard what a thread is about and otherwise respond to something of little-to-no relevance and absolutely no importance? I've already said I tried editing a more descriptive title and it won't let me.

So I ask again, for those who only care enough to read the last couple posts in a thread to formulate their reply. Do you think it is a good idea to include a poll for members to vote on what they thought of a film in the movie threads?

Jackskeleton 01-02-08 05:22 PM

Sorry, but established or not, the poor posting style takes away from the whole discussion altogether and as you can tell, derails the train before it ever even had a chance to get on the track.

JohnSlider 01-02-08 05:26 PM

:( Mods probably have better things to do, but somebody please report my initial post, I can't. Ask them to change the thread title for me.