Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Worst Movies of 2007

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

10 Worst Movies of 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I really liked Transformers. I thought it was a really fun summer popcorn flick and I was happy to pick up the DVD and listen to it in Dolby Digital 5.1. Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime was IMO one of the highlights of the film and I thought Shia Lebeouf and Megan Fox had some good chemistry and were fun to watch.

I don't have any biased or pre-conceived hate towards Michael Bay and his films. For the most part, I have really enjoyed all the films he's directed.

I do have to agree that Spiderman 3 was one of the least enjoyable films in 2007. Too many characters and some bad writing by Sam Raimi and his brother, who IMO should never write another Spiderman film ever again. I bought the DVD strictly to be a completist, but it would be really difficult for me to sit through that film again.
Old 01-02-08, 09:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My picks:

1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
2. Ratatouille
3. Sweeney Todd
4. I'm Not There
5. Terror's Advocate
6. Michael Clayton
7. No Country For Old Men
8. The Lookout
9. Juno
10. American Gangster
Old 01-02-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
Pssst, Groucho -- your list is upside down . . .
Old 01-02-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
AVP:R is the only movie of '07 I really wanted to walk out of.
Old 01-02-08, 10:08 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For me:

10. Fracture
This only makes it on here by virtue of being one of the least memorable movies I've ever seen. Honestly, every time I see it listed somewhere, I think "Wow, I completely forgot that existed", which is odd because I usually have a great memory for the movies I've seen.

9. I Know Who Killed Me
Laughably bad, but I almost left this off because I found it entertaining despite its awfulness, or maybe because of it.

8. Ghost Rider
To me, this year's most glaring example of a hollow action spectacle.

7. Bug
I kind of hate to put this here, because I think the first half is quite good. But it just fell apart halfway through in a major way, as
Spoiler:
it just seemed to jump to Ashley Judd's character turning looney waaaaay too quickly and thus got instantly ridiculous.

6. Shrek the Third
A major disappointment, as the series hits a wall with little invention and even less humor. There wasn't even a real story here.

5. Hannibal Rising
I might have enjoyed this more if it was a movie on its own terms. But it didn't feel like 'Hannibal' for one minute to me.

4. Dead Silence
Puppets can be creepy, and I'm always down for a 'killer doll' type horror movie. But this movie was undone by a lethal combination: being completely ridiculous while also taking itself too dully serious to be any fun.

3. Away From Here
Critics praised the performances, but did they have to take place in such a dreadfully paced movie? And even when interesting things happen to boring characters, it's still boring.

2. Farce of the Penguins
It was direct-to-DVD, so I don't know if I should count this, but wow. There was a lot of talent involved here, and this is a complete embarassment to them all (although Samuel L Jackson did get a few funny lines). They would have been better riffing one liners over the footage than attempting to tell some dumb story.

1. Halloween
I hated this movie. I'm a fan of the Halloween films, and I even dig a lot of the other recent remakes like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hills Have Eyes. But Rob Zombie's changes destroy everything interesting about the franchise. Michael Myers becomes a rejected WWE gimmick, subtlety is thrown away and pissed on, and suspense is exchanged for banal brutality.
Old 01-02-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll forgoe the list of 10 since there is only one movie than I saw this year that wasn't worth the price of admission(Free)...300. This movie had absolutely nothing working for it, perfect example of special effects for the sake of special effects. The dialogue was terrible, the acting was a joke, the entire premise was laughable. But then again, this what I get for seeing a movie so clearly aimed at the 12-16 demo. 300 was like Revenge of the Nerds minus the nerds (intelligence) and intentional comedy.
Old 01-02-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My bottom 10 (out of 54 theatrical outings this year):

45. Death Sentence - This wasn't awful, but it just dragged and dragged. It was also awfully short on the action for this kind of flick. The cheesy directing just made it a little more annoying.

46. Resident Evil: Extinction - I liked the first two more than I probably should have, this just bored the shit out of me. I miss the claustrophobic interiors of the first and the confinement of the city in the second. I couldn't stop thinking about where they were finding enough gas to fuel a tank infantry cross country.

47. Ghost Rider – I don't know anything about the comic, and I was looking forward to a good little comic book movie, but this was just stupid. Not goofy Nic Cage stupid (I liked National Treasure 2 a little), but just dumb.

48. The Invisible – I couldn't muster the energy to write my own review for this 10 minutes after it ended. It was just a trite movie with nothing going for it, that bored me for an hour and a half. Plus, I really couldn't stand the lead actor, he just struck me as a smug little asshole.

49. Halloween - This one's been done to death, but I agree with most of the criticisms. My theme of this year's bottom 10 is boredom. This just had no action in it, and the action it did have was supremely ordinary.

50. Zodiac – I guess this would qualify as one of the two bottom 10 that I really disagreed with the majority. This just felt like it was never going to end and was tremendously disappointing. There's no way to say it wasn't a well made movie, and certainly my high expectations probably made this feel a lot worse than it was, but I never felt any momentum building throughout the nearly three hour runtime. It felt like a sterile exercise to me.

51. Next – This just sucked. I don't know what I was expecting it to be, but the result was almost shockingly bad. It doesn't help to waste Julianne Moore (big fan) and make Nicolas Cage seem like the most boring man alive on purpose and then had the audacity to tell us they did that on purpose.

52. Juno – If you're curious, I posted my thoughts recently in my Juno review thread. I thought it was pretentious and wholly fake and hollow. An extremely unpleasant movie experience.

53. Primeval – How do you screw up a killer croc movie? Seriously? Well, I guess it would be by not having the croc at all and focusing on a moronic political subplot. It's criminal to advertise this as anything but a sixth rate political junkheap with a badly CGI croc thrown in randomly.

54. 28 Days Later – The bottom of the bottom is reserved for movies that are insulting, and this certainly fell into that category for me. Between the unbelievable stupidity of the plot (how did the kids escape again?) and the insulting patronizing nature of the "political" statements this was trying to make, I would have absolutely walked out if I wasn't with friends. There's bad (Primeval) and then there's insulting (this). It doesn't help that I feel this shat all over the awesome 28 Days Later, and I'm doing my best to forget this ever existed.

Last edited by BravesMG; 01-02-08 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
I'm usually good at avoiding bad films, so I only have 2 films I've seen this year that I didn't like:

Dead Silence
Transformers
Old 01-02-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
While I'd be embarrassed to own 300 based on its historical accuracy, it really is pretty good when compared to the graphic novel it is based on. Guess it depends on how you look at it.
I look at it as one of the most racist, homophobic, war glorifying movies in history, and that's why I despise it.
Old 01-02-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next (but, watching it as a Rifftrax may of colored that a bit).
Transformers
The Fountain beautiful, but dull beyond belief.
Halloween
Shrek 3
The Number 23

Although I wouldn't put them on a "worst" list, Hot Fuzz and Death Proof were both movies I apparently just didn't "get". I didn't laugh at the former and fell asleep with the latter.

Last edited by Chew; 01-03-08 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-02-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
My picks:

1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
2. Ratatouille
3. Sweeney Todd
4. I'm Not There
5. Terror's Advocate
6. Michael Clayton
7. No Country For Old Men
8. The Lookout
9. Juno
10. American Gangster
Is your balcony now closed?
Old 01-02-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I didn't see Spidey3 but...Here is my list of "disapointments" since I wouldn't say all of them are BAD, but more "I didn't like them"

Knocked Up - Depressing, and no where near as good as all the reports.
POTC3 - First one was good, 2&3 not so much.
Zodiac - Love Fincher, this bored me.
Old 01-02-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a disclaimer to my list, I tend to try and not admit myself into a bad film screening knowing it's going to be one -- I'll only usually go in to see films with good reviews prior and if that's not the case, there's usually a performance or an actor I want to particularly see the film for. With that said, a lot of my lowest-rated films of the year are considered by many to be good or decent films. But I guess they are simply the worst seen of a relatively good batch, and many are more disappointments than particularly bad.

Anyway:

10. Zodiac
9. Spider-Man 3
8. Black Snake Moan
7. Ocean's Thirteen
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
5. Planet Terror
4. Gone Baby Gone
3. Charlie Wilson's War
2. Elizabeth: The Golden Age
1. Sunshine

Last edited by hardercore; 01-02-08 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
There sure is a lot of 300 hate. I don't remember that much when the movie actually came out
Old 01-02-08, 07:19 PM

Ghost Rider is bad enough to take all 10 spots on my list
Old 01-03-08, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see that many truly bad flicks last year.

300 disappointed me. Death Proof I thought was beyond bad, and I love Tarantino. Shoot 'Em Up was by far the worst movie I saw all year. Movies like Spider-Man 3, Pirates 3, and 1408 were all just...okay. As in, I didn't think they were 'bad', but I also won't watch them again.

I loved Transformers and I loved Hot Rod. My guess with Hot Rod is that most people didn't 'get' the humor...and I'm guessing those same people also hated Napoleon Dynamite.

= J
Old 01-03-08, 02:40 AM

My list
10. Black Snake Moan- Do I really care to watch a film about a man that chains someone up because she's a sexfiend? Maybe if the film was more interesting that this bore.

9.Disturbia- I got a good idea, lets remake Rear Window, one of the great thillers of all time, as a lame teen slasher film!

8. Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer- First one was one of the worst comic book films I've ever seen. This one was just as worse as the first one.

7. Ghost Rider- Not just a bad comic book film, but another bad Nic Cage overacting in ever scene that he's in film.

6. The Number 23- Where to start. Bad acting, lame story, people you don't care at all about. Carrey and Madson I hope will see better days again.

5. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry- Gay men have it hard, but they have it even harder when they have to put up with films like this that are so unfunny and mean that they are a slap in the face of everyone that fights for gay rights.

4. Transformers- Or the summer film that can't make up it's mind if it wants to be a lame 80's teen comedy or a lame 80's action flick

3. Evan Almighty- Steve Carell, we forgive you for at least trying to make something funny, but next time just stick to The Office or something from the Apatow camp. Lame unfunny family comedys just aren't what your good at.

2. Hannibal Rising- The first ten minutes or so were ok, but then it was all downhill from there. Not scary at all, didn't care one bit that what makes hima monster is the fact that his family was killed, plus he was made to eat his sister on top of that. And I don't find Hannibal scary at all anymore. This is the type of horror film I think and feel Lucas would make if he was going to make one.

1. Spider-Man 3- No worse film that I saw this year could top this film. After how good Spider-Man 2 was *it even made my 10 best list*, I didn't think or belive that they could/would screw this up. Parker as an Emo-kid, my dark side is so cool ran it's course after 2 minutes. Bad acting from all the main leads that should know these charactors by now. To many villians that were under used. Way to many storylines that were or could have been used for 2 more films. A musical number so out of place that everyone in the theater was shaking their heads. "I know whats missing in this film since I don't think were going to make a Spider-Man 4 and we have to have some payoff for fans! Lets add Ventom to the mix!" I could go on and on.

I did stay away from films that I knew were going to be bad, like Norbit, I know Who Killed Me and so on.
Old 01-03-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

My goodness! I'm shocked by all the Transformers and 300 haters here. As mentioned above, I don't recall all this hate being expressed in the original review threads.
Old 01-03-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
My goodness! I'm shocked by all the Transformers and 300 haters here. As mentioned above, I don't recall all this hate being expressed in the original review threads.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't see either of those when they were released, because I knew they weren't for me. I only watched 300 when my roommate Netflixed it.
Old 01-03-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the record, I joined the forum after regretfully seeing 300 in theaters for Free (used the ticket that came with Alexander Final Cut), but had I been around then I am sure I would have vented my hatred of the film on here instead of bothering my friends who had to hear me rant and rave about what a joke it is.
Old 01-03-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like this is becoming the "Let's put as many good movies on the list in order to stir up trouble" thread
Old 01-03-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Well I have to agree that alot of the movies mentioned sucked like I know who killed me and The Number 23 and even Spiderman 3. But, c'mon Transformers and Pirates 3? Those movies are fun summer flicks. Lighten up!
Old 01-03-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
As for The Transformers, it was basically me and a few others against the world, but we were definitely in the minority for that crapfest.

I'd do a Worst Movies list myself, but I just haven't seen that many bad movies (Transformers fooled me by having decent word of mouth). But otherwise, I just don't see movies that I'm not pretty sure I'm gonna like, and I'm fairly successful at that.

Of the movies I saw this year, I can honestly say the only ones that completely disappointed me were Transformers and Spider-Man 3. Everything else was decent to awesome.
Old 01-11-08, 08:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Finally saw AvP:R, it has to make anyone's worst ten list.
Old 01-11-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm surprised by the hatred for Vacancy seen in this thread. While not one of the best movies of the year, it is a rather well-made, effective little thriller (even DVDTalk's own review agrees on this) - it is not a bad movie at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.