DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   DVDTalk Review for Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/521075-dvdtalk-review-alien-vs-predator-requiem.html)

visitor Q 12-27-07 08:34 PM

DVDTalk Review for Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31829

I almost fell off my chair when I witnessed my first 0 content rating here at DVDtalk on Apocalypto. This time however, I was almost moved to tears because of it ...

It's almost perfect and I couldn't agree more ...

Thanks for taking the balls to call it out for what it is.

Takeshi357 12-29-07 09:58 AM

I think this IMDB graph tells more about the users of IMDB than it does about the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758730/ratings

God, Part II 12-29-07 10:41 AM

Is there a chance in hell we'll ever see another legitimate Alien film, perhaps one last go-around to resolve what became of the new Ripley? I refuse to acknowledge the validity, nay, existence, of these types of absurd face-off movies...

Gunde 12-29-07 03:37 PM

Zero star reviews from Brian are not rare.

Oh and giving zero stars to Apocalypto is nuts! That would mean that it's as bad as the movies from The Asylum, Uwe Boll and Ulli Lommel!? Give me a freaking break.
Say what you will but Apocalypto is well made - doesn't that count for anything? I wish Brian would keep this in mind too.

Supermallet 12-29-07 04:15 PM

Brian didn't give Apocalypto 0 stars. I did. But there's already a discussion thread for that.

critterdvd 12-29-07 05:15 PM

Am I the only one that actually enjoyed this movie?

keyed 12-29-07 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd

No. I liked the movie as well. I went in expecting a violent snuff film from the 5-minute preview and it met it. Sure, there were low points (too much action in the dark, facial implantation, pregnant woman birth ala Dawn of the Dead), but considering the bad taste left by AVP, AVPr was very enjoyable.

No offense, but from the review, it sounds like the reviewer is a pissed-off fanboy who was expecting a film as greatly cast and directed as the first three alien movies instead of the Fox exploitation that the AVP series is.
High expectations lead to great disappointment.. but seriously, how can you have that in the first place when everyone involved in the movie are unknowns and you throw in a Paul Anderson connection. -ohbfrank-

Rival11 12-29-07 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Brian didn't give Apocalypto 0 stars. I did. But there's already a discussion thread for that.

I read your review (I tried searching for that other theread but....don't even get me started about searching on these boards) and while I usually for the most part always agree with where you're coming from (mainly from your points in posts) - I have no idea where you were coming from in that review.

Don't get me wrong, you like what you like - all I'm saying is that to group Apacalypto with other 0 star films is just kinda ridiculous. The directing alone in this film at least warrants 2 to 3 stars. Seems like the brutality bothered you a lot in this one. I'm kinda guessing that it wasn't a far stretch from how it really was back then.

Supermallet 12-29-07 06:32 PM

So we don't derail this thread, the Apocalypto one can be found here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=501872

True_Story1011 12-29-07 07:07 PM

I enjoyed AVP-R, I guess the mindlessness was a nice change of pace.

Its not an Oscar picture, but it was better than a couple other pictures this year.

Kudama 12-29-07 11:00 PM

Nope. It was boring as shit until the [human] military came in. Then it got decent.

2 out of 5.

Sorraffy 12-30-07 02:24 AM

if they decide to take the 3rd one to space, as long as human/human interactions are at the bare minimum, I would be able stand to go see another one

AVP:R Rating when the Aliens are actually fighting the Predators = 3/5

AVP:R Rating when they put random people in there to give it a story (or any people on screen for that matter) = 2/10

RD1973 12-30-07 02:59 AM

I posted this on the old thread, but I guess it really belongs here:

I had a weird experience last night watching this movie. I was really tired and went to a midnight show. So I kept nodding off. The interesting part is that I would see the beginning of a scene, nod off and dream up the rest of the scene. Unfortunately, the movie I was dreaming up was much cooler than the actual movie. For example, I'd dream that the action moved back into the Predator ship. The aliens and predator were stalking each other down dark corridors with strobe lights. Pretty much like the first alien. Then I'd wake up and they were fighting in a parking lot or something, lol.

By the way, toward the end the movie got ridiculously dark. What everyone is saying is completely true.

I need to see it again to pass judgement though. I think I only saw about 40% of the movie.

RForte1189 12-30-07 03:14 AM

I enjoyed it. I just thought it was stupid that only ONE Predator was sent in to investigate and that that ONE predator didn't call for backup when he should have. I also hated the ending which made no sense. "The world isn't ready for this technology." First off, I would like to say that there is probably no way we would be able to decipher the technology and second, it was a bloody plasma pistol, all we would be able to do with it is make bigger, badder weapons IF we deciphered it.

Giantrobo 12-30-07 04:16 AM

< Also enjoyed it.

wm lopez 12-30-07 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11
I read your review (I tried searching for that other theread but....don't even get me started about searching on these boards) and while I usually for the most part always agree with where you're coming from (mainly from your points in posts) - I have no idea where you were coming from in that review.

Don't get me wrong, you like what you like - all I'm saying is that to group Apacalypto with other 0 star films is just kinda ridiculous. The directing alone in this film at least warrants 2 to 3 stars. Seems like the brutality bothered you a lot in this one. I'm kinda guessing that it wasn't a far stretch from how it really was back then.

I thought he gave it zero stars because he made the Jesus movie THE PASSION and is hoping Mel Gibson's movie career is over.

Supermallet 12-30-07 07:19 AM

I praise The Passion of the Christ several times in my Apocalypto review. Your comment makes no sense.

zombiezilla 12-30-07 09:33 AM

I praise The Passion of the Christ several times in my review....

Whoah, watch it, your lack of credibility is showing....lol

chanster 12-30-07 10:23 AM

I agree with this review..given the pedigree of the film franchises (especially the Alien franchise) ruined by these god-awful AvP movies, I think it deserves negative stars. (note: go ahead call me a hypocrite I haven't seen AvPR) and I refuse to see it.

I was using reviews to determine if I should give this one shot, and there is no way I was going to be tricked twice into seeing these garbage movies.

RichC2 12-30-07 09:49 PM

Saw this tonight, what a horrible movie.

Maxflier 12-31-07 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Saw this tonight, what a horrible movie.

Ditto. I actually enjoyed the first AvP, but this movie was just incredibly uninteresting. About the only cool thing in the movie was catching a glimpse of the Predator homeworld.

visitor Q 12-31-07 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Ditto. I actually enjoyed the first AvP, but this movie was just incredibly uninteresting. About the only cool thing in the movie was catching a glimpse of the Predator homeworld.

And strangely, the homeworld totally reminded me of Chronicles of Riddick for some reason. Not really sure I want to go down that road.

--

Oh and Daniel ... I never said that Brian gave out the 0 for Apocalypto, I just didn't mention any names ;)

Supermallet 12-31-07 10:47 PM

I know you didn't, but Gunde's comment made me think he might have thought Brian gave Apocalypto 0 stars.

Trevor 01-02-08 01:13 PM

I know you didn't, but Gunde's comment made me think he might have thought Brian gave Apocalypto 0 stars.

I think that he thought that you thought that too. :hscratch: :)

On topic, my love for A1-3 and P1 is great enough to make me go see this, hopefully Friday night. I didn't completely hate the others, even AvP, so I imagine I'll enjoy this as a mindless action flick with a few scary moments hopefully.

Back off topic, I'll chime in that the center justified sig is a bit annoying the more I see it.

Rogue588 01-02-08 08:13 PM

I didn't mind it at all. It wasn't Ridley Scott/James Cameron GREAT, but I didn't think it was terrible. DEFINITELY better than the first. :shrug: