Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Machine Girl

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Wal-Mart did have it in their new releases aisle.

$11.97!

Once I clean up my house, this is going right in!

can anyone else confirm this along with the price?
Old 05-30-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Call and ask, it isn't surprising really, my Walmart had a dozen copies of Casshern when it came out, for the lowest price around.

Edit: I can confirm, it was 11.96 here as well, big sticker covering most of the title though, so be on the lookout.

Edit: This movie is fucking retarded. And I mean that in the best possible way. TEMPURA ARM!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxGvbB0GY2I&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxGvbB0GY2I&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by RichC2; 05-31-08 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-31-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Saw it at a Wal*Mart here too. They have a nice little Asian Cinema section but I didn't think they would carry this... and at a Wal*Mart price!
Old 05-31-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The flick is pure B-movie, Grindhouse experience fun.

Fucking retarded? Yes. Fucking entertaining? Hell yes.

This is the kind of movie you would show to a group of friends cause everyone would eat it up.
Old 05-31-08, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
can anyone else confirm this along with the price?

I work in Electronics overnight, and yes I can confirm the availability and the price (it's actually been there for about 2 weeks). We just had a reset of the DVD section and alot of catalog (Dirty Harry)/obscure (Machine Girl) new releases tend to get put out early in the process. I remember the last reset one of the Voltron sets ended up coming out a few weeks early.

It's good to find out when your local Wal-Mart does the new set (usually every 4-6 months) so you can check to see if any future releases get put out early. I've noticed that roughly 2-4 end up on the shelves early.

I don't know if any of the other stores do it our way, but usually you'll see letters (D,EC,DC,IL) handwritten next to the tag in black marker denoting where the new location of that DVD will be. When that writing pops up, the reset usually comes within the next few weeks (roughly 3-4). Keep in mind that when a DVD has a "D" written next to it, that means we'll no longer be carrying it. So if you want it, pick it up when you see it.
Old 06-02-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm with RichC2 on this one. Let me preface this by saying that I loved Versus and Meatball Machine (probably the two closest low budget films that I've seen that I could compare with). But I hated Machine Girl.

Yes it is ridiculous, over the top, full of bad acting, filled with enough blood loss to put Mass General out of business - everything one could expect from a bad B-movie. But it's just so stupid.

Versus at least has characters (not development - not necessary) and great camerawork that aid along the film. Meatball Machine has a unique concept (alien "chess" match) and a really twisted love story. Even films like Evil Dead and Dead Alive have something to fall back on, whether it be creepiness, characters (again), well thought out effects .... Machine Girl had none of this. It ends up being a straight forward mass blood bath with questionable effects no better than the Sci-Fi channel's movie of the week. Realistically, if you took out some of the dramatic scenes it probably would have been better.

There was nothing presented to hold me to the screen and I was disappointed by this more than anything else. I would highly suggest a rental before buy on this one.

Last edited by visitor Q; 06-02-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Oh, I said it was fucking retarded, but I loved every second of it. I didn't like Meatball Machine.
Old 06-03-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
I loved it - and absolutely hated Versus (now THAT was retarded)
Old 06-03-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
What's wrong with Versus?

There's been very few cult Japanese films that I have absolutely hated. Battle Royale 2 (ugh - one of the biggest cinematic disappointments in my entire life). Junk. Moon Child. A handful of Miike titles (Visitor Q being one of the big ones).
Old 06-05-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by Gunde
Just got my MG copy in the mail today so no time to watch it yet -- but Versus -- that one ended up being kind of interesting. On the one hand it really drags out in some places - even longer in the new directors cut (with new scenes, etc), but there is some decent exposition in between. Some of the gunfight scenes just go on waaaay too long though (and end up being pretty repetitive with the same sorts of scenes happening more than once). Still, one of the better ones I've seen.

Dunno if someone wants to make a new thread to discuss some of these new B movie splatterfests.

Aside from the Japanese ones we've talked about, we could go into French - "Atomik Circus", Australian - "Undead", UK - "Evil Aliens" -- totally wild. Low budget - ie. not Planet Terror - but better (or seemingly so) production values than something like Troma.
Old 06-05-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked it up at BB today. Can't wait to see it tomorrow.
Old 06-06-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
What's wrong with Versus?
Long and boring.