Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dune - remake - (D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm sure l'll be ostracized from the nerd community here but I admit I've never seen any of the Dune movies/ miniseries' nor have I read any of the books. Being a big fan of Villeneuve however, means I'll be sure to see this new movie.

For some reason I fully expect to see an update in a couple of months that Villeneuve dropped out of the project though. We'll see.
The first few books are pretty good, very roughly analogous to Game of Thrones in space, i.e. powerful houses plotting and scheming for power and control, with one house being the "good" one like the Starks.

The books do get increasingly weirder as they go on though.

My favourite adaptation so far was the Scifi Children of Dune miniseries, which adapted the 2nd and 3rd novels. A pre-famous James McAvoy was the lead, and he was really good, slight Scottish accent notwithstanding.
Old 03-11-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

I love the Lynch movie, it’s too bad how it gets crapped on; Harlon Ellison wrote about how the movie was maligned when it first came out yet he enjoyed it very much.
Old 03-11-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Lynch and Freddy Francis made it beautiful to look at. I loved to designs they have us and the sets were awesome. A hell of a lot of the effects stand up today also. The music by Toto and Brian Eno was really great and we had a wonderful cast. I think of very little about the movie I don't like. Even Sting is pretty great, even though he does have that one scene in the space undies. I know that Jadorowsky said he was overjoyed when he saw it that it was so awful, but I am not sure his version would have been all that great. He certainly had amazing talent involved, and it looked incredibly interesting on paper, but I think it would have had very little resemblance to the book.
Old 03-12-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I know that Jadorowsky said he was overjoyed when he saw it that it was so awful, but I am not sure his version would have been all that great. He certainly had amazing talent involved, and it looked incredibly interesting on paper, but I think it would have had very little resemblance to the book.
I agree.
After watching the documentary about his version, I cannot see how it would have been anything but a Jadorowsky Dune rather than a Frank Herbert Dune.
Old 03-12-18, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lynch’s movie had great visuals but I’d hardly call it genius. And I love David Lynch.
Old 03-12-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
I agree.
After watching the documentary about his version, I cannot see how it would have been anything but a Jadorowsky Dune rather than a Frank Herbert Dune.
Very true.

It probably would have been a glorious clusterfuck.
Old 03-12-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I was talking with a friend last night about who we think should play Paul Atreides and we both think that the only young actor who matches the needed qualities: 1) Good physical condition 2) Good actor, 3) Looks like someone who could lead people into battle is Michael B. Jordan. Hey, it takes place many years in the future, give it a shot I say.
Old 03-13-18, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I was talking with a friend last night about who we think should play Paul Atreides and we both think that the only young actor who matches the needed qualities: 1) Good physical condition 2) Good actor, 3) Looks like someone who could lead people into battle is Michael B. Jordan. Hey, it takes place many years in the future, give it a shot I say.
It's been a while since I read the book but - isn't Paul a teenager?
Old 03-13-18, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Yes, he was.
Old 03-13-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

It probably would have been a glorious clusterfuck.
My thought exactly.
Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Yes he is, in the 2nd book he becomes an adult.

I am trying to think of a known actor who could pull that off...
Old 05-25-18, 11:48 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

A proper film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s landmark sci-fi work Dune has plagued even some of our most imaginative filmmakers for years. Alejandro Jodorowsky sunk so much of himself into his aborted 1973 adaptation that it later begat the documentary Jodrowsky’s Dune. David Lynch’s endlessly disputed 1984 rendition made it to theaters, and is argued by many to be one of Lynch’s lesser films, for all of its visual invention. Multiple film versions were rumored in recent years, with Peter Berg attached at one point, but now it seems that Denis Villeneuve, fresh off his masterful Blade Runner 2049, will be the director to do it.

In what might prove beneficial, given the scope of Dune as a story, Villeneuve recently confirmed that he plans to split the adaptation into two films, still likely to be substantial in length each. While speaking to the Quebec publication La Presse, he mentioned the news while touching on the process of turning Herbert’s 896-page epic into a cohesive feature (or set of them): “Eric Roth wrote the first draft and I worked on my side afterwards… I have not had such fun on the creative side since Incendies! My wish would have been to make both films at the same time, but it will be too expensive. We will do them one at a time.”

Production has not yet kicked off on Villeneuve’s ambitious undertaking, but if 2049 and Arrival are any indication, there may not be a better-suited director working today to bring something as truly far-reaching as Dune to new life.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...ve-dune-split/
Old 05-25-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I can't fathom how getting all those sets and props, not to mention all those actors together on two separate occasions is any easier than paying a little more upfront to film it all at once. (I'm still flabbergasted the new Star Wars sequels weren't done all together either.)

But they seem confident, so here's hoping we seem something cool in a couple years.
Old 05-25-18, 04:38 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I have never gotten the Dune thing. It is not an especially interesting story in my view and I will wager this version will suck as well. So many more worthy things to film that would be fresh in SciFi and Fantasy
Old 05-25-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I can't fathom how getting all those sets and props, not to mention all those actors together on two separate occasions is any easier than paying a little more upfront to film it all at once.
It's not.
But they seem confident, so here's hoping we seem something cool in a couple years.
A 2-parter?
This is a square peg into a round hole and all...DV and the producers need to quit fighting the uphill battle and turn this into an HBO or Amazon (preferably) series.
Old 05-26-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It's not.

A 2-parter?
This is a square peg into a round hole and all...DV and the producers need to quit fighting the uphill battle and turn this into an HBO or Amazon (preferably) series.
Oh, I certainly agree there, but Villeneuve did a bang-up job on Blade Runner 2049 so I think this could work well also.

I know BR 2049 didn't do well at the box office, but it seems to be getting a cult gathering like the original, and I would wager Dune has a bigger audience due to the original books being such iconic works of fiction (plus, somebody has to keep buying all those new Dune books that they keep writing more of them).

I'm still optimistic for this.
Old 05-26-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

If they turn it into "art-house sci-fi" then it will bomb, too. I liked Bladerunner 2049, but unless you're a fan of the source material, first film, etc., then it is not easily accessible. Hell, the world of Dune is even more dense.
Old 05-26-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Oh, I certainly agree there, but Villeneuve did a bang-up job on Blade Runner 2049 so I think this could work well also.
DV is a very talented filmmaker...no question there.
The Arrival was excellent.
BR 2049 was very good, in spite of not having a lot of re-watchability for me.

I would wager Dune has a bigger audience due to the original books being such iconic works of fiction (plus, somebody has to keep buying all those new Dune books that they keep writing more of them).
Dune has always had a BIG international following.
It is the best selling Sci-fi book of all time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(franchise)

BTW, under the contract between the Herbert Family and Legendary Pictures there is, in addition to the film project, supposed to be TV projects:
http://www.dunenovels.com/articles/l...es-rights-dune
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
If they turn it into "art-house sci-fi" then it will bomb, too. I liked Bladerunner 2049, but unless you're a fan of the source material, first film, etc., then it is not easily accessible. Hell, the world of Dune is even more dense.
Exactly why a TV series is needed.
Old 05-26-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cerebral Sci Fi has never really done well at the box office.
Old 05-27-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^^ True.
Old 05-27-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Cerebral Sci Fi has never really done well at the box office.
Not sure if you count 2001, but it was #1 in 1968.
Old 05-27-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

This is going to be amazing just like Blade Runner 2049...it is also going to do terrible at the box office just like Blade Runner 2049. All that really matter so to me is that I like it and if they split it into two parts both get made.
Old 05-27-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It will bomb then they're going to wonder why it bombed. $$$$$$
Old 05-27-18, 08:05 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes it will.
Old 05-28-18, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not sure if you count 2001, but it was #1 in 1968.
That was also 50 years ago...

As a big fan of the novels, I hope it doesn't...but I feel ya.
Old 05-28-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

That was also 50 years ago...
The post said "never" and, last time I checked, 50 years still falls within that timeframe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.