Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Old 03-03-11, 09:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Dune - News, Rumors, Etc

Originally Posted by foofighters7
don't see him revisiting any of his films but if he did, I think this would be the last on the list just because it was such a terrible experience for him and Alan Smithee...
cheeky
Old 03-03-11, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't see him revisiting any of his films but if he did, I think this would be the last on the list just because it was such a terrible experience for him and Alan Smithee...
Yes, Alan Smithee would need to be involved also.
Old 03-03-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care that no one else seems to like it, I really dig David Lynch's Dune, but then again, I've never read the book.
Old 03-03-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by heebiejeebie
Yes, Alan Smithee would need to be involved also.
They should consult Judas Booth while they're at it.
Old 03-04-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Speaking of The Incal...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OBktKOQGBYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-04-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76
I don't care that no one else seems to like it, I really dig David Lynch's Dune, but then again, I've never read the book.
I've read the books (both the originals, and most of the ones by his son and KJA) and I love the Lynch movie, especially the extended Judas Booth version. I have this weird thing in my brain where I can accept multiple versions of a story idea (like how I can like different versions of an anime; both the OVA and the later series for example).
Old 03-04-11, 10:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't mind having different versions of the same story, but I do mind if one of the versions is full of bad performances and scenes filled with nothing but exposition.
Old 03-04-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Lynch's Dune rules, I don't know what the hell the rest of you are talking about.
I liked Lynch's Dune too, although I've never read the books and it's been about 3 years since I've seen it, so I may view it differently now.

Speaking of Lynch, what's he been up too lately? It doesn't seem like he's been doing much since Inland Empire came out (which I was very unimpressed with).
Old 03-05-11, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DUNE Coloring & Activity Book scans
Old 03-06-11, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The O

That's hilarious.

This aspect of "Dune" has always fascinated me, that someone (Universal?) desperately wanted their own Star Wars-type franchise and saw that in Dune.

I would love to see how that played behind the scenes. From those activity books, it's obvious that they had access to stuff from the movie (designs, etc.), and I have to wonder if nobody noticed things like the navigator having a vagina for a mouth.

And what did they think, that they would have Baron Harkonnen showing up at kids' birthday parties like Darth Vader? A grotesquely obese pedophile covered with oozing sores that drools over children, including his own grandson?

The mind boggles...
Old 03-06-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Darth Vader is an amoral, genocidal, child-killer, and he gets all kinds of love. It's amazing the lines some parents will cross when society has deemed the character iconic.

(And Feyd is his nephew, not grandson, if that's who you're referring to with the drool line.)
Old 03-06-11, 02:11 PM
Banned by request

Darth Vader may be genocidal and child killer, but at least he has sex with women, damn it! That Baron is just a deviant.
Old 03-06-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Well, Darth Vader is an amoral, genocidal, child-killer, and he gets all kinds of love. It's amazing the lines some parents will cross when society has deemed the character iconic.

(And Feyd is his nephew, not grandson, if that's who you're referring to with the drool line.)
No, I meant Paul. I sort of remember Baron Vlad showing some sexual interest in Paul, though I don't I remember if it was the Lynch movie, the Smithee/Booth movie, the miniseries, or one of the novels. They've all sort of blurred to together in my memory at some point.
Old 03-07-11, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I only saw CoD on tv but thought it was decent. I don't think I ever saw Dune - the Smithee version / extended version is better?
Old 03-07-11, 03:21 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
No, I meant Paul. I sort of remember Baron Vlad showing some sexual interest in Paul, though I don't I remember if it was the Lynch movie, the Smithee/Booth movie, the miniseries, or one of the novels. They've all sort of blurred to together in my memory at some point.
I do recall in the book the Baron says it's a shame that Paul will have to die, because he's very pretty or something to that effect.
Old 03-07-11, 05:09 AM

That's hilarious.

This aspect of "Dune" has always fascinated me, that someone (Universal?) desperately wanted their own Star Wars-type franchise and saw that in Dune.
This was actually Universal's second attempt at a 'Star Wars' style franchise. The first was FLASH GORDON in 1980 (also produced by Dino de Lauentis).

I think they were pissed since they had a shot at Star Wars when Lucas was shopping it around.
Old 03-07-11, 07:33 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I liked the Lynch movie, but I've never understood why they went to such great lengths to invent the weirding modules. Couldn't they have further developed Paul & Jessica's 'weirding way' (Bene Gesserit witchery) rather than create some device that was so contrary to the actual story?

Liked the miniseries as well, own both. -kd5-
Old 03-07-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The one thing about Jodorowsky's version that intrigued me was the fact that H.R. Giger was used for production design. You can find some of it and it would have very much made for a visually interesting movie.
Lynch's production was pretty damned interesting.

That's hilarious.

I would love to see how that played behind the scenes. From those activity books, it's obvious that they had access to stuff from the movie (designs, etc.), and I have to wonder if nobody noticed things like the navigator having a vagina for a mouth.

And what did they think, that they would have Baron Harkonnen showing up at kids' birthday parties like Darth Vader? A grotesquely obese pedophile covered with oozing sores that drools over children, including his own grandson?

The mind boggles...
I have an original Dune jigsaw puzzle. We put it together every now and then.

Last edited by CRM114; 03-07-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
I only saw CoD on tv but thought it was decent. I don't think I ever saw Dune - the Smithee version / extended version is better?
The thing to remember about Lynch's Dune is that there is no possibility for a true director's cut as Lynch was having his budget cut during production so there were many scenes simply not filmed. So even with the extended TV version adding back in some 40-45 minutes worth of footage, it's still an incomplete film.

But what that extra footage does is help give you a little more time to be immersed in the unique world Lynch has created on the screen. I know personally this was one of those things that whenever it played on the SciFi channel or whatever, it was one of those movies that you ended up changing your plans for the rest of the day to finish it. And since the extended version was released on DVD (in 16x9 widescreen, no less) I have no desire to ever watch the theatrical cut again. The longer version just gives you that much more time to let yourself become one with the story.

Even for all it's flaws, there's a reason the old laserdisc box of the extended version was so highly sought after (even in 4x3 pan and scan) and why Universal knew they would get a return on their investment when they made a new widescreen version of the extended cut for DVD. There's a lot of people that feel it is the best available version of Lynch's film, even if he doesn't like it himself.
Old 03-07-11, 03:07 PM
Banned by request

I saw a pretty good fan edit that does a much better job of integrating the additional footage into the movie, but even then it's still a clunker of a cut.
Old 03-07-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I saw a pretty good fan edit that does a much better job of integrating the additional footage into the movie, but even then it's still a clunker of a cut.
As I said, it will never be complete, but there is hope for a more inclusive cut on Bluray that includes even more of the deleted scenes and restores some small bits of violence that were trimmed for TV standards.
Old 03-07-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure there'll be an extended version on blu-ray, but if I had a blu-ray player, I'd just get the theatrical Dune BR now. It's nice that the extended version dvd is anamorphic but I hate flippers. Might get it anyway. Odd that Children of Dune still hasn't been released to blu-ray.
Old 03-07-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A while ago I saw some personal footage of the pre-production meets on Dune from Sean Young, pretty cool and informative:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PFTS5-cIHgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-07-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Lynch replaced the "Weirding Way" Bene Gesserit/Fremen fighting technique with the Weirding sound modules because he wanted to avoid "Kung Fu in space." When they made it in the early 80s was only a couple years after the height of the 70s Chop Socky era, so it would have looked like Matrix parodies do today (dated and distracting). I don't agree with him. He could have made it a mystical form of fighting without it looking like a Shaw Bros film, but he seems to have abandoned that in the very first draft for his sound modules.

If you watch David Lynch's Dune as a "David Lynch" science fiction movie, it's cool as hell. It has all the cool visuals and sound design and odd goings on. If you watch it as an adaptation of Frank Herbert then it is disappointing. He should have abandoned more of Herbert like Jodorowsky was going to do and made it more personal. It just made it so dense for non-readers and it teased the hell out of us readers with references to things that are never addressed again ("Many machines on IX. Better than Richese" All mean something to readers, but they add nothing to the story). Even the central conceit of the Kwizatz Haderach didn't make any sense. The underlying feminist theme in the novel was abandoned with the Weirding Way, so it was too vague what the Bene Gesserits were breeding (they used the blue worm juice to allow them access all the memories of their female ancestors, but the male ancestors memories terrified them. The KH was supposed to be able to access them both. So they were breeding a male who had the psychic ability and could use the worm juice and not die.)

The miniseries was closer to Herbert but was marred by the aesthetic decision to make it look like a theatrical stage piece. They knew they didn't have the budget to make it look like a real film, so they decided to present it stylized like a play, with translight backdrops and everything. If it worked depended on your tolerance for the stylized aesthetic. The second miniseries wasn't as constrained nor did it condescend to non-readers by simplifying too much or over filling with exposition. It's a shame they never went on to God Emperor. I'd rather see that over a compromised theatrical version.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 03-07-11 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
I'm sure there'll be an extended version on blu-ray, but if I had a blu-ray player, I'd just get the theatrical Dune BR now. It's nice that the extended version dvd is anamorphic but I hate flippers. Might get it anyway. Odd that Children of Dune still hasn't been released to blu-ray.
Just to be clear, the extended DVD of Dune isn't a "turn it over half way through the movie" kind of flipper, it's a DVD-18 with the theatrical cut and extras on one side, and the extended version on the other.

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
It's a shame they never went on to God Emperor.
If you can find it on Netflix or something, there's an episode of the animated series The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy called "Mandy the Merciless", which skates the line of parody/straight out ripoff of God-Emperor of Dune.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.