Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Old 04-06-21, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Just noticed on IMDb it's rated PG-13

No, that doesn't mean it'll be bad, but to me it means it won't be as awesome as it could have been
Baloney.
You can get away with a ton of stuff in PG-13, you don't need an R rating unless you're going to show the worst of Baron Harkonnen's vices and we really don't need to see that on screen.

It's like Lord of the Rings, which managed to do all it did with PG-13 (only one of the extended Hobbit films got an R, and that was probably those gross trolls).
Old 04-06-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post

There is also not a listing for Feyd-Rautha, but he is an easier character to wait until the second film to introduce.
The introduction of Feyd in the book is kind of a non event as he just sits in the corner of a room. However, later
Spoiler:
he emerges from the sand in the middle of an arena fight. When I was reading this I thought this would be a much better way to introduce him to a movie audience.

Old 04-06-21, 08:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 235 Likes on 204 Posts

Just noticed on IMDb it's rated PG-13

No, that doesn't mean it'll be bad, but to me it means it won't be as awesome as it could have been
I forgot, how many awesome MCU movies that were awesome were rated R?
Old 04-06-21, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

And?

I prefer my fictional violence to be graphic, brutal, and bloody

Give me the prison fight scene from the Netflix Punisher over any of the avengers fight scenes
Old 04-07-21, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm old. Violence bores me. I often arrive at "sigh, people suck" if the motives feel wrong. Self-absorbed characters only obsessed with their own fiction. Like, what's it all worth, man.

I like movies that keep it real. Like Bridget Jones' Diary.
Old 04-07-21, 08:16 AM
Suspended

Nah, you're just getting soft
Old 04-07-21, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,345 Likes on 833 Posts

And?

I prefer my fictional violence to be graphic, brutal, and bloody

Give me the prison fight scene from the Netflix Punisher over any of the avengers fight scenes
It's almost as if studio heads prefer to build their multimillion dolor franchise tent pole movies around the idea attracting and pleasing the largest possible audience of potential moviegoers rather than just appealing to you.
Old 04-07-21, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's almost as if studio heads prefer to build their multimillion dolor franchise tent pole movies around the idea attracting and pleasing the largest possible audience of potential moviegoers rather than just appealing to you.
Yea, that's why there's no such thing franchises composed of R-rated movies. Asshole

I wonder what the parents of your patients would think if they knew the MD spends all day posting on a movie forum?
Old 04-07-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 484 Likes on 347 Posts

I, myself, have always said that studios should be making movies specifically to appease me. The rest of you plebs can suck it!
Old 04-07-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 277 Likes on 234 Posts

Hasn't Dune always been a PG-13 property as far as the films go? Lynch's Dune is also PG-13. The Sci-Fi channel ones were Not Rated I think, but they were harmless, too. Don't get where the blood lust for an R-rated Dune came from.
Old 04-07-21, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you actually want to see the second half, it needs to make money and that means pg-13. Dune is a damn weird story. It doesn't have the same appeal as Lord of the Rings with wizards and elves and other story tropes audiences might be familiar with already.

How do you explain a centuries long breeding program or Other Memories? How do you depict walking without rhythm, or a fighting style where the slow blade penetrates?

Despite it's long popularity, Dune is not a property for mass audiences. The basic pieces of it require some nuance and understanding. Don't turn away potential customers over a need for a bit of blood.
Old 04-08-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I think there's more fans than you expect, but you're still right that it's got some weird lore. And while it is about crusades and battles for control of a planet, you can do that with PG-13 and that means more eyes on this flick.

Also, I think there's a lot of interest from casual fans, if you look at all the Youtube reactions to the trailer (and there's a lot of them), more than a few of them are only generally aware of the franchise, but once they start recognizing all the actors (Dave Batista, Josh Brolin, Eric Isaac, Zendaya, and especially Timothee Chalomet), they start getting really interested.

Like I've said, probably even in this thread already, even if this doesn't turn out perfect, it's still going to be fun to watch this amazing cast dicking around in the desert for 2.5 hours.
Old 04-08-21, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 772 Likes on 575 Posts

Deadline said in article a few days ago that the studios are uncertain this will still be on the same day HBO Max window.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/godzill...ng-1234726022/