Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

Old 09-09-20, 01:58 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
re: Dune (2021, D: Villeneuve) - News, Rumors, Etc

I’ve been saying they’d do that all along. It makes sense. WW1984 will do a hell of a lot better at Christmas than this ever would.
Old 09-09-20, 02:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It looks gorgeous, but I'm one of the few that didn't care for Arrival or Blade Runner 2049.
try Prisoners or Sicario. both excellent movies.
The following users liked this post:
bunkaroo (09-09-20)
Old 09-09-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'll finally read the book.
My plan as well. Cool visuals, I'm sure I'll love the film... this trailer is not doing it any favors though, in terms of reaching a larger audience. It's just too abstract/dreamy...what dialogue I could make out didn't seem to tell us much. Even the title font is not clear enough imo that it says DUNE.
Old 09-09-20, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
try Prisoners or Sicario. both excellent movies.
I'm just saying out of the last two he's done.. I'm not a fan, but others seemed to love them.
Old 09-09-20, 04:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm just saying out of the last two he's done.. I'm not a fan, but others seemed to love them.
that's cool. maybe just not your taste. maybe one time when bored give them another try. i did love both Arrival and 2049. thought Arrival was very surreal, but not too hard to follow and ending was jaw dropping imo and 2049 was just a great continuation/finale to Scott's original.
Old 09-09-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Looks pretty good to me. I’ve never seen the David Lynch film or read the book. I’ll probably give this a shot though.
Old 09-09-20, 06:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

looks decent, but this is going to bomb at the BO.
Old 09-09-20, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

As someone who is a fan of Villeneuve, the Dune series, and has followed other attempts at adaptations, this trailer was a wet dream. However, if I were someone who had no familiarity with any of the three elements I mentioned, I would think it looked good visually, but probably wouldn't find it appealing overall. I agree that after Tenet, WB needs to probably delay this for up to a year. It should NOT be a summer release, and it should also not be something that comes out in Spring, as I think it could be a legit awards contender. Of course given that I just got a new 70 inch 4K TV as well as a new surround sound system, I would be fine if it was available to stream! I think the best time to release is anytime in the Fall before Thanksgiving and the holidays (early October or November).
Old 09-09-20, 06:21 PM

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Wow, I'm impressed.

I have said to myself there is only isn't a movie I'd go to in pandemic that is worth the risk. This honestly has me thinking about going to a theater. Ultimately, I probably won't but that would sting a bit.

I read the book earlier this year for the first time and really enjoyed it. Watching the trailer, I don't see any major pieces missing from the entire first novel. Do we know where it's supposed to end in the first book for the movie?
Old 09-09-20, 06:32 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

This is all that was said a little while back:

Will Dune be two movies?
That's the plan. There's a backstory that was hinted at in some of the books [that we expanded]. Also, when you read the book there's a logical place to stop the movie before the book is over.
Old 09-09-20, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
This is all that was said a little while back:

Will Dune be two movies?
That's the plan. There's a backstory that was hinted at in some of the books [that we expanded]. Also, when you read the book there's a logical place to stop the movie before the book is over.

Having re-read the book recently and watched the trailer I think

Spoiler:
The first movie will end after Paul defeats Jamis and professes his love to Chani. I have a feeling the kissing scene will be the one of the final shots of the movie. In fact, there is a chance the ending of the first movie will be more "happy" than the end of the second one. I also think we will not be introduced to either Feyd or Irulan until the second movie. Feyd is introduced early in the novel, but his arena fight later with him rising from the ground would make a much better movie introduction, and a great way to open the second movie.

Old 09-09-20, 10:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
looks decent, but this is going to bomb at the BO.
Yeah, I have no doubt he’ll bring the visuals and epic scope, but it won’t have a wide audience for it. Another thing for me at least is that seeing Chalamet doesn’t really sell it as Paul Atreides. Overall though, I’ll see it at some point.
Old 09-09-20, 10:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

- looks great
- will lose tons of money
- giant buttholes

Sounds like Dune alright.
Old 09-09-20, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Looks great!
Old 09-09-20, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Trailer look good. I have read the book in my teen and it was not a easy read, very complex. Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune were much easier to read.
Old 09-10-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would be okay if this wound up like Blade Runner 2049, meaning a hit critically and among the sci-fi/Dune fans but not so much with general audiences, but only if this were a one shot. So far it looks like Villeneuve nailed it like no other, and to only be able to see half the story would be like salt in a wound. I truly hope they play it safe and delay the release for another year or so to build more interest and let the pandemic numbers fall. I remember back in 2001 everyone was thinking that Lord of the Rings, despite being a highly popular and read book, would be a financial flop. While thankfully that was false, I believe that it getting all of the positive critical buzz along with many award nominations really stirred casual interest. In a way, it would almost be fitting if the big sci-fi novel nobody thought was adaptable opened 20 years after the big fantasy novel about which many thought the same.
Old 09-12-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I read the book earlier this year for the first time and really enjoyed it. Watching the trailer, I don't see any major pieces missing from the entire first novel. Do we know where it's supposed to end in the first book for the movie?
There is nothing in the trailer that occurs (or necessarily occurs) after Paul and Chani establish their relationship. My guess is that the first movie will end just prior to the jihad starting. As it happens, the biggest weakness of the novel (IMHO) is how quickly Herbert breezes through the time between Paul becoming established with the Fremen and what happens later to bring the story to a close. There is some fertile ground here on which Villeneuve could flesh out a second film.

Momoa plays Duncan Idaho and the trailer certainly makes him seem like a much more major character than he was either in the novel or Lynch's film. The scene where he bows to Paul does not appear in either, for example. In the Lynch film
Spoiler:
Idaho is already dead before Leto dies and I think that is true in the novel as well but my memory of that is more hazy. Looks like they may make the Atreides defeat to the Harkonnen/Sardaukar forces a longer sequence.
Old 09-12-20, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Fantastic edit of the three adaptations of Dune - spoilers for Dune 1984 and Dune 2000.

story (09-13-20)
Old 09-12-20, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2020/09/wonder-...as-1203019735/

Dune may be moved to 2021.

It's expected that Wonder Woman 1984 will move to winter so it won't compete with Tenet. So because of that, Dune may have to move.
It's like there is only one movie studio in 2020.

And moving wouldn't make sense for a big budget prestige movie most years, but this year the 2020 Oscar season extends to Feb 28th, 2021. I would expect it to come out by that date to be in the running for, at very least, many technical Oscars.
Old 09-13-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar

Momoa plays Duncan Idaho and the trailer certainly makes him seem like a much more major character than he was either in the novel or Lynch's film. The scene where he bows to Paul does not appear in either, for example. In the Lynch film
Spoiler:
Idaho is already dead before Leto dies and I think that is true in the novel as well but my memory of that is more hazy. Looks like they may make the Atreides defeat to the Harkonnen/Sardaukar forces a longer sequence.

Yeah, I wonder if they're not going to give Duncan Idaho some of Gurney Halleck's role.
But then again, they cast a big name (Josh Brolin) as Gurney Halleck, so probably not. They might use Duncan Idaho as a sort of Greek Chorus that hangs around Paul and explains stuff to the audience.

I am sort of concerned that this is film is going to flop, solely due to COVID-19, and we won't get Part Two. Really wish they had filmed the whole thing at once.
Old 09-13-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar
There is nothing in the trailer that occurs (or necessarily occurs) after Paul and Chani establish their relationship. My guess is that the first movie will end just prior to the jihad starting. As it happens, the biggest weakness of the novel (IMHO) is how quickly Herbert breezes through the time between Paul becoming established with the Fremen and what happens later to bring the story to a close. There is some fertile ground here on which Villeneuve could flesh out a second film.

Spoiler:

Actually, I read the book recently and

Spoiler:
Idaho survives the attack in the book and does greet Paul as his Duke afterward, don't know if he bows or not, but protocol probably requires it. He also gets an interesting scene where he gets roaring drunk at a social gathering. Probably what results in him shaving his facial hair. He meets his end helping Paul and Jessica make an escape from Harkonnen troops. I think the scene of him killing someone in the trailer is from that part. However, the character is resurrected for the second book and actually becomes a major player. I think that may be more of the idea behind casting Momoa , as the second book ends with it appearing as though he will become the series' new lead character. Haven't read past book two, but that's my impression right now.

Old 09-13-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Major spoilers for the book series
Spoiler:
Duncan Idaho gets cloned many times, like dozens or hundreds over the next several centuries of story. They may be lifting that early to keep a name like Momoa in the story.

Giantrobo (09-16-20)
Old 09-13-20, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for using spoiler tags guys. Haven't read the books yet.
Old 09-13-20, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Actually, I read the book recently and

Spoiler:
Idaho survives the attack in the book and does greet Paul as his Duke afterward, don't know if he bows or not, but protocol probably requires it. He also gets an interesting scene where he gets roaring drunk at a social gathering. Probably what results in him shaving his facial hair. He meets his end helping Paul and Jessica make an escape from Harkonnen troops. I think the scene of him killing someone in the trailer is from that part. However, the character is resurrected for the second book and actually becomes a major player. I think that may be more of the idea behind casting Momoa , as the second book ends with it appearing as though he will become the series' new lead character. Haven't read past book two, but that's my impression right now.

Yeah, was on a long bike ride this evening and started thinking about my post and was becoming more and more convinced I was wrong about Idaho in the book. He was barely in the Lynch film, which was kind of a waste of Richard Jordan's talents.
Old 09-15-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

A good read on Alejandro Jodorowsky's reaction to the new trailer, "Very Well Done but Everything Is Predictable"
Jorodowsky's Reaction to Dune 2020 Trailer

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.