Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Kristen Bell + Jason Segel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Kristen Bell + Jason Segel

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Very excited for this film.

Old 04-09-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Duder
Okay, I'll admit it was kinda funny in Walk Hard, but is this Apatow's new trademark or something? I really don't need to see some dude's junk every time I see one of his movies.
It's called payback for all the chix and gay dudes who have to sit through countless tits and bush.

Trailer looks funny but will most likely see it on DVD.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 04-09-08 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fanboy
So it's in the same vein, then?

I know that's how real people talk, and I'm not a prude (and isn't that what all prudes say? ), but it makes me feel like I'm riding on a bus full of high-schoolers when I watch any of the movies above. Just this constant stream of cursing, toilet- and drug-humour.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm too old, but I'm getting really tired of this kind of comedy. Does anyone else feel the same way?
I mean, I like all different types of movies. If they ONLY made one type of movie over and over again I would get tired of it. I like to have some action movies with no real substance, other comedies that are just dirty, and then I like to watch movies that have artistic merit and that delve into important issues and ideas. I mean, one could say the same thing about horror movies that are all essentially the same type of horror. It all matters about how much you see of it. But I wouldn't really say I am sick of it after only about six movies total. Maybe one day it'll get old, but that day isn't at hand just yet for me.
Old 04-16-08, 12:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from a preview screening.

Hilarious movie. I laughed as hard as I did in Superbad or Knocked Up, but technically speaking this film wasn't as good. If you like to laugh go see it, simple as that. If anyone has any questions about the film I can answer them.

9/10
Old 04-16-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Loved Knocked Up but thought Superbad was just ok. This wasn't really on my radar, but now i'll look to watch it opening weekend.
Old 04-16-08, 12:10 AM
Banned

Yeah the humor and story is much more Knocked Up esque then Superbad.
Old 04-16-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I met Jason Segal at my wife's work a couple weeks ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, even though I really hate Russel Brand
Old 04-16-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking forward to seeing this. Loved Knocked Up and thought Superbad was good but after watching it a couple times it loses its appeal.
Old 04-16-08, 08:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I met Jason Segal at my wife's work a couple weeks ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, even though I really hate Russel Brand
You will love this movie then.
Old 04-16-08, 04:25 PM

Man--- I mean you gave it a 9/10 so I think I am pretty stoked for this film. I just watched the red band trailer for this movie again and laughed the entire time. It comes out this Friday right?
Old 04-16-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JPRaup
Just got back from a preview screening.

Hilarious movie. I laughed as hard as I did in Superbad or Knocked Up, but technically speaking this film wasn't as good. If you like to laugh go see it, simple as that. If anyone has any questions about the film I can answer them.

9/10
I saw a free premiere last night as well, and your description is spot on. The plot is mildly predictable, but the humor is right up there with the funnier movies of this generation. Definitely as funny, if not funnier than superbad. I gave it a 8.5/10. I think it would be just as funny on a second viewing though.
Old 04-17-08, 12:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Sunday show for me. The only film I plan to see this year in a theater.
Old 04-17-08, 02:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Really? Not The Dark Knight? Wall-E? Where The Wild Things Are?
Old 04-17-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MSNBC gave a great review for it... it says its a truly memorable comedy
Old 04-17-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad it's funny and clever and all that, but what if some theoretical person were to want to go see it just for the opportunity to drool over Mila Kunis wearing nothing but a skimpy bikini? Would such a theoretical person likely be theoretically disappointed?

(Really? Marshall gets a bottomless scene and Jackie doesn't? What has the world come to?)
Old 04-17-08, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wergo
I'm glad it's funny and clever and all that, but what if some theoretical person were to want to go see it just for the opportunity to drool over Mila Kunis wearing nothing but a skimpy bikini? Would such a theoretical person likely be theoretically disappointed?

(Really? Marshall gets a bottomless scene and Jackie doesn't? What has the world come to?)
You will be theoretically happy. Kunis is gorgeous in the film.
Old 04-17-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JPRaup
You will be theoretically happy. Kunis is gorgeous in the film.

and Bell?

-Doc
Old 04-17-08, 04:16 PM
Banned

yep, both are hot hot hot hot.
Old 04-18-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
and Bell?

-Doc

you will be very very happy. seriously, shes very hot in mostly nothing throughout the film.
Old 04-18-08, 04:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Saw it. Loved it. My expectations were low, because I honestly thought the trailers looked really bad. But it was better than Knocked Up in just about every way, and only a notch below 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad and Walk Hard. The dynamics of the different relationships rang very true to me, it was nice to see that no one was a stereotype. There were several scenes where I laughed so hard that I missed some of the lines. I'll probably catch it again in the theater.

Spoiler:
So...I'm guessing the photo of Rachel flashing was a photoshop and not Mila Kunis' actual tits. I would love to be wrong about that, though.
Old 04-18-08, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Saw it. Loved it. My expectations were low, because I honestly thought the trailers looked really bad. But it was better than Knocked Up in just about every way, and only a notch below 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad and Walk Hard. The dynamics of the different relationships rang very true to me, it was nice to see that no one was a stereotype. There were several scenes where I laughed so hard that I missed some of the lines. I'll probably catch it again in the theater.

Spoiler:
So...I'm guessing the photo of Rachel flashing was a photoshop and not Mila Kunis' actual tits. I would love to be wrong about that, though.
Same thing happened to me. I'm sure I missed a few funny parts because I was laughing so loudly I couldn't hear what they were saying.

And in regards to your "spoiler," I wondered the same thing myself.
Old 04-18-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
you will be very very happy. seriously, shes very hot in mostly nothing throughout the film.

Most excellent. I had little doubt, but your assurances are appreciated, sir!

-Doc
Old 04-18-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Slightly O/T:

I just read in EW that Segal was handed a stack of scripts from Disney to mull over but instead pitched them an idea for a new Muppet movie. The concept is that the Muppet Show is going under and the gang has to throw on one last all out gig to save the show. Apparently Disney ate it up and are moving forward on it.

Love the idea. Tying a movie into the television series is awesome. The Muppets are always better in original material (MM, Caper, Manhattan, Space) versus interpreting others works (Christmas Carol, Treasure Island, Oz). Can't wait.
Old 04-18-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If that Muppet project ends up being loaded with Apatow cameos, it will be possibly the ultimate way to cross over these guys to kids too young to understand the greatness of Superbad or Knocked Up or 40 Year Old Virgin. I'll pay top dollar to see Rogen, Rudd, Hill, Cera, Carell, Black, Ferrell, Segel, et al yukking it up with the Muppets.
Old 04-18-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My girlfriend's gossip blog of choice is Jezebel and this is what they said about it.

[BTW, Jezebel is a gossip blog written by and made for feminists for those of you who are unaware.]

But is the film funny? The reviews are mixed. After the jump, read the critics have to say and see if you're still charmed (if you ever were) by Apatow's "endearing dude"-centered films.
Which is then followed by reviews going against the film's sense of crude humor and a story-line devoted towards (mostly) men.

Not going to lie, I would take one Apatow produced film over the entire (worthless) careers of Nancy Myers and Nora Ephron.

Are the Apatow films sexist? Yes. However, they have more honesty than any mainstream romantic comedy in over two decades (The Last American Virgin would be one of the last I would think of before Apatow's success).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.