Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Old 03-06-10, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Wow, very bad reactions. I'm guessing I'll wait for a DVD rental of this if at all; a shame as I love Carroll and I like *most* of Burton's movies but this sounds more on the Planet of Apes/Chocolate Factory end of things rather than the Big Fish/Sweeney Todd end.
Old 03-06-10, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not any fun, this movie. Completely literal, mostly uninteresting characters, and a style that was a bit too drab for my taste. As someone mentioned, the Cheshire Cat was the only highlight. I'll likely never see this again.

I think Hammer & Tongs should've directed.
Old 03-06-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Not any fun, this movie. Completely literal, mostly uninteresting characters, and a style that was a bit too drab for my taste. As someone mentioned, the Cheshire Cat was the only highlight. I'll likely never see this again.

I think Hammer & Tongs should've directed.
What're Hammer & Tongs working on lately, anyways? I do think they would have made a fantastic Alice film, good call!
Old 03-06-10, 09:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another to Hammer & Tongs making an Alice movie. Or any movie at this point.
Old 03-06-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a Hitchhiker's Guide sequel greenlit... it did double its' budget after all in theaters (110mil on a 45-50mil budget). But that's an entirely different thread.
Old 03-06-10, 05:41 PM

This movie was soo so soo soo bad. This is Burtons worst movie ever. It was like caffeine free diet Burton. CGI animation and burton for this film = Crap. Has he even done alot of press for this movie, If I was him and would not.
Old 03-06-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah my wife was asleep for pretty much the whole thing and I was in and out... Pretty awful.
Old 03-06-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
this sounds more on the Planet of Apes/Chocolate Factory end of things rather than the Big Fish/Sweeney Todd end.
So it's unwatchable as opposed to merely bad?
Old 03-06-10, 10:03 PM

I'm shocked by the bad reviews and grateful at the same time. I'm not a fan of Depp and his outlandish characters so I initially had no interest. Then as the release date approached I became intrigued and planned on going until the reviews began to surface. I think it'll still be a huge blockbuster, and I know that's all that matters to them anyway.
Old 03-06-10, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
So it's unwatchable as opposed to merely bad?

Big Fish
and Sweeney Todd are good films.

Mod Note: While I agree that Big Fish and Sweeney Todd are good films, namecalling and personal attacks are not allowed on this forum. Doing it again will result in a suspension or banning.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-07-10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-06-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-06-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

This is starting to sound more and more like MirrorMask -- some nifty visuals but bland as shit story and characters that make it a chore to sit through.

Critically, it's about on par with MirrorMask and The Fall.
Old 03-06-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw it. While I agree the plot was dull at times, it wasn't as bad as some have made it sound. Typical Tim Burton fare.
Old 03-06-10, 11:50 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I really didn't get anything out of this film, and I tried. I'm not a Burton fan, so to speak, but I made an attempt to go into this one with a positive attitude. If I have anything good to say, it's that Stephen Fry is a good Cheshire Cat, and Anne Hathaway has a few good moments.

Spoiler:
And, not a good or bad thing, but the Jabberwocky looked like a Pterodactyl version of the creature from Alien. What's up with that?

edit to add: Oh, and Johnny Depp was horrible. His "Mad Hatter" was such a waste of film.

Last edited by Dan; 03-06-10 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-07-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
This is starting to sound more and more like MirrorMask -- some nifty visuals but bland as shit story and characters that make it a chore to sit through.

Critically, it's about on par with MirrorMask and The Fall.
I thought Mirrormask was wonderful, although I haven't watched it in years (saw it once or perhaps twice, back in 2005). Some of that movie was predictably written, but I still thought it was leaps and bounds over this dreck.
Old 03-07-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Middle of the road movie... not terrible but still frustrating on a number of levels. But, I guess this is what we have to put up with to get a Sweeney Todd or a Corpse Bride.

So much potential for a cool opening credit sequence, and we got nothing... and that really sums up the whole thing imo, there's no build up or explanation for anything - it just happens. It only works because your familiar with the story, it doesn't begin to make sense on it's own.

And I didn't particularly care for the visual style... that darkened filtered look just isn't appealing to me, certainly not for the majority of a film.

I don't know if Tim just isn't good with big productions or if he's not even trying... we get little Burton flourishes here and there, but nothing consistent. A good Elfman score isn't enough to save it.
Old 03-07-10, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. Not great or anything, but it was decent. The thing that really made me want to facepalm is the
Spoiler:
stupid dance Depp does.

Last edited by nickdawgy; 03-07-10 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-07-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the Cheshire Cat. Pretty much everything else was a bit forgettable, even Alan Rickman's caterpillar. That's not to say I didn't overall enjoy the movie, but it just wasn't that great. And Depp's last scene, yeesh...
Old 03-07-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wanted to see it this weekend... but almost all of you make it sound like torture. I may relegate this to a netflix rental on Blu-ray. Not sure.
Old 03-07-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I thought Mirrormask was wonderful, although I haven't watched it in years (saw it once or perhaps twice, back in 2005). Some of that movie was predictably written, but I still thought it was leaps and bounds over this dreck.
Different strokes - I hated Alice but Mirrormask was actually PAINFUL to sit thorough, so I'd give this Burton turd the edge over that one.
Old 03-07-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I wanted to see it this weekend... but almost all of you make it sound like torture. I may relegate this to a netflix rental on Blu-ray. Not sure.
I didn't find it torturous at all. It was just all rather bland. Go ahead and wait until a rental unless you're anxious to see it.
Old 03-07-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

OK, just got back. This movie was not "Hook" level terrible. Which I've seen it compared to on so many movie discussion boards. Like someone mentioned above, "AIW" is bland, but watchable. And while Depp's performance was borderline obnoxious, thankfully he wasn't in it that much. And yes, that dance segment at the end......WTF!? In the end, I'm glad I saw it in 3D at the IMAX because I did enjoy the production design and CGI.
Old 03-07-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I must re-iterate that this movie is not bad, IMO. Just kind of uneventful and bland. Just a bunch of eye candy and visuals.

Biggest surprise: the amount of people who applauded in my audience at the teaser for Tron:Legacy. It was a packed showing, but mostly younger kids and such as it was a daytime show. Didn't know this was such a well known property.
Old 03-07-10, 12:50 PM

i enjoyed it although Alice was so boring herself, she didn't change her expression for pretty much the entire movie.
Old 03-07-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I must re-iterate that this movie is not bad, IMO. Just kind of uneventful and bland. Just a bunch of eye candy and visuals.

Biggest surprise: the amount of people who applauded in my audience at the teaser for Tron:Legacy. It was a packed showing, but mostly younger kids and such as it was a daytime show. Didn't know this was such a well known property.
I was the only one who applauded after "Tron:Legacy". And I felt like a dork. But screw. What *I* was surprised at was about half my audience applauded at the end of "Alice".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.