Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Re: Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Originally Posted by UAIOE
So is "DEPP DANCE" the new phrase we use to describe awkward or out of place scenes in movies?
Good idea
Old 03-18-10, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
Tyson's Corner isn't THAT far away.
I know, but I don't have a car and live near Capital Hill. So it is tough for me to get a ride unless someone is already going there.

Originally Posted by Moleman1138
I've seen about 10 3D movies in the past year or so and I'm not impressed. But I still go feeling I'm missing out on some improvements in technology. The only times I liked the use of 3D were Order of the Phoenix, Coraline and Toy Story 1 and 2.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It is the curiosity of "what am I missing out on?"
Old 03-20-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really disappointed by this film. I was hoping to see Alice in Wonderland not Alice in Underland. Burton should have chosen a different title.
Old 03-21-10, 12:18 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn't love it, but thought it was pretty decent considering there's not much of a story. It's dreary and drab, but anyone expecting the film not to be, considering the previews/commercials and Tim Burton, should've known better. It dragged at times, but I think the point of the film was to present Wonderland as a strange dream and less like an actual place where anything of real importance happens (I don't care what the characters in the film say, it's not a real place by any measure), making the film work for me. I had a hard time understanding Depp at times, speaking way too quickly (I had the same problem with Downey's Sherlock Holmes, but I was at a second-run theater for that one). Still, there was enough humor and silliness for me and my party that attended.
Old 03-22-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The movie had way more structure and traditional story lines than the actual book. The book was written to make little sense. A dragon? Really?
Old 03-22-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It wasn't bad. The 3D wasn't great, but I don't really care. Wish they would have used 35mm or the Red One, the Genesis just lacks in detail.
Old 03-24-10, 05:13 PM

Cool behind-the-scenes progression reel if anyone is interested..I love seeing how films are made!

http://www.shockya.com/news/2010/03/...nd-featurette/
Old 03-28-10, 06:45 PM

This song from the movie keeps coming on my Pandora mix and I am loving it. Had to share!
Old 03-30-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I was really disappointed by this film. I was hoping to see Alice in Wonderland not Alice in Underland. Burton should have chosen a different title.
If I did not know it I would have never thought this was a Burton film. It was ok but very slow and quiet. Also it was very dark and at times it was difficult to make out details. Maybe it was the theater I was at. I thought the idea was good but it was not executed well. And the jabberwock was very anti-climatic.
Old 04-02-10, 01:36 PM

See, I have to disagree. I think it completely had that "Burton Touch," but not in an overbearing sort of way. To me the visuals and 3D stood out the most.
Old 04-04-10, 07:10 PM

I just saw they released the 2-disc special un-anniversary edition on DVD 3/30/10. I hope it is in Blu-ray too!

Last edited by fernsita; 04-04-10 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-04-10, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not.
Old 04-08-10, 08:58 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Finally saw this, was quite disppointed. Didn't have quite the magic I expected, and din't draw me in to care about the characters. Maybe because I didn't care for the girl who played Alice.

Saw it for free, had a triple feature day due to all of the free movie tickets in DVDs lately. How to Train Your Dragon was the best of the day, with Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans both sucking.
Old 04-09-10, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Finally saw this, was quite disppointed. Didn't have quite the magic I expected, and din't draw me in to care about the characters. Maybe because I didn't care for the girl who played Alice.

Saw it for free, had a triple feature day due to all of the free movie tickets in DVDs lately. How to Train Your Dragon was the best of the day, with Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans both sucking.
I thought Mia did well, but it did take some time to warm up to her. I still enjoyed Anne's role much better though...maybe because I am partial...