Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Old 03-07-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tim Burton to make Alice In Wonderland

Just got back from seeing this...WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT! Tim Burton and Johnny Depp need to stop making movies together. I was one of the few that HATED Sweeney Todd and this just confirms how much they do not complement each other anymore. Its kinda sad how, after Scissorhands and Ed Wood, they kept going gradually downhill, only to bottom out with this and todd (not sure which i liked less, probably todd by a bit). There is no story in this movie, its all visuals and eye candy...except none of it is impressive. We've seen worlds like this before. Come on Burton, give us something different! Depp plays quirky Depp and it is beyond tired at this point. None of the other characters were interesting either, not even Alice.

This movie is a colossal misfire. An epic train-wreck. Whatever you want to call it, it sucks.
Old 03-07-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
This is starting to sound more and more like MirrorMask -- some nifty visuals but bland as shit story and characters that make it a chore to sit through.

Critically, it's about on par with MirrorMask and The Fall.
Sounds like Avatar to me. I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't a shit story at all and comparing it to Planet of the Apes was a bit much.
Old 03-07-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very very bad, the 3d was worthless. Very disappointed.
Old 03-08-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 692 Likes on 567 Posts

I went into this prepared to not like it very much but walked out feeling okay about it. The movie wasn't great by any means but I did enjoy it more than I thought I would. My least favorite part of the film was Johnny Depp. I just don't care for him much in general and he just annoyed me in certain parts of this (particularly that stupid ass dance at the end).
Old 03-08-10, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
I was the only one who applauded after "Tron:Legacy". And I felt like a dork. But screw. What *I* was surprised at was about half my audience applauded at the end of "Alice".
Everyone clapped after the movie was over when I saw it, too. Whether or not that was a good thing is unknown at this time.
Old 03-08-10, 07:45 AM

Opening weekend at 116 million speaks for itself I would say...I think it will take next weekend as well.

I thought Depp and Burton duo was impressive, yet again and I was pleased overall.
Old 03-08-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

A lot of people I've talked to seem to have really enjoyed this of course, none of them post on forums regularly and many were female
Old 03-08-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fernsita View Post
Opening weekend at 116 million speaks for itself I would say...
Opening weekend is just an indicator of how well marketing did, not the quality of the actual movie...
Old 03-08-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
A lot of people I've talked to seem to have really enjoyed this of course, none of them post on forums regularly and many were female
Same here. I talked to my wife's step-sister and she said the best part of the movie was the Depp dance.
Old 03-09-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I just saw this today and came away really disappointed. I found the movie really boring and tedious. Nice cgi but that doesn't cover up for the lack of an interesting story. I found Helena Bonhama Carter a little annoying. I also didn't like the end dance by Depp either (a bunch of people in the theater laughed though).

Major thumbs down for me.
Old 03-09-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Same here. I talked to my wife's step-sister and she said the best part of the movie was the Depp dance.
Old 03-09-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the DEPP DANCE was the best part, for a movie that is supposed to be zany/crazy, that was the only moment in it where it really was, everything else was too by the numbers/plot driven it should have had more freedom to do stuff like that,easily the worst movie tim burton ever made
Old 03-09-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CloverClover View Post
the DEPP DANCE was the best part, for a movie that is supposed to be zany/crazy, that was the only moment in it where it really was, everything else was too by the numbers/plot driven it should have had more freedom to do stuff like that,easily the worst movie tim burton ever made
For me, the "DEPP DANCE" was the part that literally made me think I might never want to see a Tim Burton movie again.
Old 03-09-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So is "DEPP DANCE" the new phrase we use to describe awkward or out of place scenes in movies?
Old 03-09-10, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
Opening weekend is just an indicator of how well marketing did, not the quality of the actual movie...
I agree, but marketing peaks consumer's interest and at the end of the day, consumers make their own decisions, right? I think people go to a movie at their own will. It isn't like seeing a commercial for a new food product and getting it and trying it out...a movie is a 2 hour investment, you have to have some sort of interest to actually sit through the entire thing.

As for Depp's dance, whatever we want to call it, it was out of the box and much appreciated. I couldn't stop laughing, but oddly enjoyed it too.
Old 03-09-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
For me, the "DEPP DANCE" was the part that literally made me think I might never want to see a Tim Burton movie again.
This. That moment was utterly unwatchable. To transition from a beheading to the Depp Dance is the most inconsistent movie scene I can remember.
Old 03-10-10, 12:30 PM

Saw it again yesterday and I love the 2D better than the 3D
Old 03-10-10, 02:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I still don't get how the older Alice had forgotten she had been there before

??

she also looked miffed throughout the entire movie - which didn't help IMO.
Old 03-11-10, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moleman1138 View Post
Saw it again yesterday and I love the 2D better than the 3D
Really? I enjoyed the IMAX and 3D, but it is nice to know it is just as good without it. Some of my other friends wanted to see it again this weekend, but I didn't want to drive so far just for IMAX/3D.
Old 03-11-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I still don't get how the older Alice had forgotten she had been there before

??

she also looked miffed throughout the entire movie - which didn't help IMO.
I still get a vibe that this movie is somewhat similar in concept to the PC game "American McGee's Alice" (older Alice returns to Wonderland) except the reasons for the return are vastly different.

That being said, I think in game Alice recalls being there before and comments that things have changed. It has been awhile since I played the game though. Great atmosphere and style though.
Old 03-11-10, 04:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Really? I enjoyed the IMAX and 3D, but it is nice to know it is just as good without it. Some of my other friends wanted to see it again this weekend, but I didn't want to drive so far just for IMAX/3D.
Tyson's Corner isn't THAT far away.
Old 03-11-10, 08:06 PM
Def

i would definitely go see it!!
Old 03-11-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not much to say, other than BLAH. Watching the Depp Dance was painfully awkward. I will never, ever watch this movie again.
Old 03-11-10, 10:18 PM

I've seen about 10 3D movies in the past year or so and I'm not impressed. But I still go feeling I'm missing out on some improvements in technology. The only times I liked the use of 3D were Order of the Phoenix, Coraline and Toy Story 1 and 2.
Old 03-11-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thought it was pretty bad. Didn't want to go, but my wife was excited about it. About halfway thru a dvdtalker called me and I walked out to take the call. He was surprised I didn't care if I missed any of it or not. We chatted for 15 minutes, I went back in and it felt like I missed nothing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.