Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mamma Mia!

Old 08-01-08, 10:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Have to agree with those who are dumping on the direction - absolutely horrendous. In a good screen musical (and in movies generally) the camera with be invisible - the framing, movement and editing will be an inevitable extension of the music and motivations, and go unnoticed. This one called out and seemed to be fighting the joy and effervesence of the ABBA songs.
who would have thunk, that with such inept directing, a movie based on a play featuring ABBA songs, would be one of the most un-gay movie musicals ever made.
Old 08-02-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Hell, I could have overlooked the horrible direction, cinematography and hammy acting if the musical numbers were good. But even they sucked.
Old 08-03-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is absolutely hilarious. And I agree with the guy about the scene where Streep sings "Slipping Through My Fingers" to Sophie. I too felt it was moving and the ONLY good thing about the film.

http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2008/07...mamma-mia.html
Old 08-14-08, 09:37 AM

here's a review of a test/preview screening and that missing song that I complained bitterly about NOT being the theatrical cut... well, it was in an early cut of the film:

Mamma Mia! Movie Review: ABBAMAIL's Exclusive - first review!

I'll be really mad, if it's not a) either reinstated for the home video version or b) not on the disc's supplemental material come December (the rumoured video street date)
Old 08-17-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cannot believe this piece of crap movie is going to make more at the box-office than "Hairspray". Not just domestically, but worldwide. "Hairspray" is so much better on every level. Direction, cinematography, acting, sound, etc. Sure, "Mamma Mia!" has the music of ABBA. Which is instantly recognizable by just about every one. And the play is quite good. But the movie is an absolute turkey on every level.
Old 08-18-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this on Saturday and though not a great film, I have to say I enjoyed it. Good performances and mostly nice singing.
Yes, the Directing was pretty bad and the choreography really could have used work but still a pleasant experience and a nice diversion from all the action movies of the Summer.
They filmed in Greece but why didn't we get to see more of it?
Didn't see the Colin Firth reveal coming but it was a pleasant surprise.
I disagree about Hairspray. Loved the stage play, loved the original movie but really disliked the movie.
Old 08-18-08, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I saw this on Saturday and though not a great film, I have to say I enjoyed it. Good performances and mostly nice singing.
Yes, the Directing was pretty bad and the choreography really could have used work but still a pleasant experience and a nice diversion from all the action movies of the Summer.
They filmed in Greece but why didn't we get to see more of it?
Didn't see the Colin Firth reveal coming but it was a pleasant surprise.
I disagree about Hairspray. Loved the stage play, loved the original movie but really disliked the movie.
even though there were so many things wrong technically, the movie did have a certain charm. I plan on buying the bluray.

I must say, I thought the few Greece scenes in 'The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2' made me want to go to Greece more than 'Mamma Mia!'

Even though I saw the play after seeing the movie (musical version), I think the movie's plotline is better than the play (the jail sequences are thankfully not included), but the play where everything is 'live' and more garrish, is just as good.
Old 08-18-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Director and the choreographer should have been fired. Why film in Greece if you don't make use of the locations?
The dances were ok but could have been....Spectacular.
Old 08-18-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Director and the choreographer should have been fired. Why film in Greece if you don't make use of the locations?
The dances were ok but could have been....Spectacular.
Not to mention many scenes were clearly filmed on a set. Most likely in Hollywood.
Old 08-20-08, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
sadly not, they went the 'Xanadu' route (reverse wise).
Nowhere near it. No leg warmers or glowing Woman.
Old 08-20-08, 11:00 AM

Nowhere near it. No leg warmers or glowing Woman.
true

but you know what I mean

(Xanadu) train wreck of a movie, fun play
(Mamma Mia!) fun play, train wreck of a movie
Old 08-20-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
true

but you know what I mean

(Xanadu) train wreck of a movie, fun play
(Mamma Mia!) fun play, train wreck of a movie
Yeah, but even "Xanadu" the movie is SO bad, it's fun to watch.
Laughing at the bad dialogue and acting. And the tunes are great.
I got zero joy watching "Mamma Mia!" (the movie).
Old 08-28-08, 01:11 PM

for those who care (not you Daytripper) the 'Sing A-Long' version comes out tomorrow.
Old 09-02-08, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got to see this last night.

This is no Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Hairspray or Sweeney Todd.

It falls more in line with Rent, Chicago and Phantom of the Opera. Yuck.

Unimaginative, terrible direction, terrible singing and when the (few and far between) musical sequences happen, the film stops. Dead.

The "encore" had more fun and energy than the 110 minutes to proceed it.
Old 09-02-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,052 Likes on 833 Posts
That's some weird categorization. If it's as good as Chicago that'd be great, if it's as bad as Hairspray I'll avoid it at all cost.

It doesn't look particularly good so I'll likely be avoiding it regardless. This movie is doing gangbusters in theaters, though.
Old 09-02-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
That's some weird categorization. If it's as good as Chicago that'd be great, if it's as bad as Hairspray I'll avoid it at all cost.

It doesn't look particularly good so I'll likely be avoiding it regardless. This movie is doing gangbusters in theaters, though.
I really did not like Chicago. My flaw with that film is the whole movie just comes to a stop the musical set-pieces start.

I liked Hairspray as Shankman (who I would usually consider a hack considering his past efforts) was able to keep the film going at a fast pace with the musical set pieces in-tact. It also helps that the film has a lot of heart and energy going for it as well -- and dare I say it, might be actually better than Waters' original.

Mamma Mia is like Chicago. Lots of flash, but nothing in the center. A weak screenplay with a weaker director on hand. All of the fun of the play is completely missing with the film.

And for more comparisons' sake, Mamma Mia is no Dreamgirls, but sucks as much as The Producers.
Old 09-02-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

About "Hairspray"....huh!? I normal hate musicals, but that movie was so much fun. It moved along at a nice clip. Everyone did a great job. And seemed to have a blast doing it. I was really hoping "Mamma Mia!" would have had 1/2 of "Hairspray"'s charm. It's such a fun show. They cast some great people for the movie. I was actually bummed I didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't mind "Chicago" either. But learned quickly it's a movie I didn't want to see twice.
Old 09-02-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with you about Chicago and Hairspray. I think Mamma Mia! is in between but could have and should have been much better than it is.

I just watched Chicago for the third time, this time on Blu-ray. I don't ever have to see Hairspray again after being disappointed with it in the theater.
Old 09-02-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
This is no Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Hairspray or Sweeney Todd.

It falls more in line with Rent, Chicago
I actually like all of these...but Mamma Mia is truly a piece of shit - definitely more in line with The Phantom of the Opera IMO. (I hated Rent on a first viewing but grew to like it.)
Old 09-03-08, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I actually like all of these...but Mamma Mia is truly a piece of shit - definitely more in line with The Phantom of the Opera IMO. (I hated Rent on a first viewing but grew to like it.)
I hated Rent and Hairspray but loved Phantom of the Opera.
Mamma Mia was flawed but the performances and music saved it from being worse.
Old 09-04-08, 03:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

I think I'm about the only person in the UK that hasn't seen this film.

It is still playing in many cinemas. I think I noticed one this week where TDK is now over and MM persists!

I guess it must at least partly be down to ABBA being such a big band here for a long time and being popular with subsequent generations, too.
Old 09-04-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by benedict
I think I'm about the only person in the UK that hasn't seen this film.

It is still playing in many cinemas. I think I noticed one this week where TDK is now over and MM persists!

I guess it must at least partly be down to ABBA being such a big band here for a long time and being popular with subsequent generations, too.
"Mamma Mia!" is a box-office monster in the U.K. It's either been at number #1 or #2 for the week for 8 weeks! And it doesn't appear to be coming to an end anytime soon. Yes, ABBA is huge there I see. I read your music charts and their greatest hits has been on there for years and years up and down the charts. I'm guessing the play "Mamma Mia!" is equally big there (?) Back to the movie, it's also a smash everywhere else overseas with several countries that haven't opened it yet.
Old 09-07-08, 08:47 AM

Received 845 Likes on 552 Posts
For our anniversary this weekend, my wife wanted to go to the Sing-A-Long version.

So we did.

It was a bit weird. Some folks were really into it, singing along (my wife and the other couple we went worth were singing away all through the movie... and at least they could sing), some were just mouthing the words, and some were just laughing at everyone else (that was me).

It wasn't a "Rocky Horror Picture Show" like experience, but it was fun.

Upon a second viewing...
Spoiler:
... you can totally see Harry Bright's eventual coming out. There are so many hints along the way that you miss the first time.

My wife said that when the Blu-Ray comes out, she's going to have a Sing-A-Long party here at the house and then they'll really go crazy.
Old 09-07-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy hell. This film is a juggernaut overseas!

'Mamma Mia!' still hitting high note
Musical remains on top of foreign box office
By DAVE MCNARY

"Mamma Mia!" continued to do sensational biz overseas, warbling its way into the top weekend slot at the international box office with $15 million from 3,493 playdates in 39 markets.
Thanks to a socko Korean launch plus impressive holdover biz, "Mamma Mia!" has topped $280 million outside the U.S. -- more than double its domestic take.

With "Mamma Mia!" leading the way, summer hits dominated offshore biz. "The Dark Knight" stayed bright with $11.8 million off 5,100 to lift its foreign cume to $437 million, and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" scared up $11.6 million from 5,265 -- mostly from its launch in China -- to surpass $255 million in international box office.

The trio has combined for nearly $1 billion in overseas gross, all exceeding studio forecasts. The performances have kept overall foreign biz for Hollywood majors on pace to match 2007's record of $9.5 billion -- and a tonic at a time when moviegoing's falling from red-hot summer levels.

"Mamma Mia!" has been the biggest surprise in foreign markets since French mega-hit "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis" topped $200 million. Among 2008 releases, the feel-good musical trails only "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" at $466 million, "The Dark Knight," "Kung Fu Panda" at $397 million and "Hancock" at $362.6 million.

"Mamma Mia!" set a record in South Korea as the top musical launch with $5.5 million, finishing behind the opening of Kim Yoo-jin's war epic "Divine Weapon." And in a sign of the staying power of "Mamma Mia!," its ninth Brit frame was competing for first with the $2.9 million launches "RocknRolla" and "The Duchess" while its U.K. cume hit an astounding $112.1 million, going past "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" as the fifth-highest grosser of all time in Blighty.

"Mamma Mia! continued to shine in other markets too: Germany at $1.3 million for $32.4 million in eight weeks and Australia at $27.8 million after nine frames. Spanish biz slid only 27% in its fifth frame to $1.1 million for a $14.1 million cume.

With solid holdover biz plus openings in 16 more markets, "Mamma" is on track to stay a player throughout the fall and top $500 million in combined international and U.S. grosses. It launches next week in Belgium, Brazil, France, India, Hong Kong and Mexico.

Meanwhile, "The Dark Knight" hit the $950 million mark in combined worldwide grosses. The Batpic remained a decent draw in Germany, dropping only 30% in its third frame to $3.2 million for a first-place tie with U's launch of "Wanted."

Universal -- which topped last year's total foreign box office of $1.03 billion three weeks ago -- remained by far the most active distrib during the frame. U scored its biggest Chinese launch of all time with the $7.9 million opening for "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," shot in China as a co-production with local cast headed by Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh, Isabella Leong and Anthony Wong.

The "Dragon Emperor" perf underlines the appeal of action pics at the foreign box office, generating 70% of its worldwide gross outside the U.S., where domestic cume is $100 million. The "Mummy" sequel opens next weekend in Australia and New Zealand.

Two other U actioners stay active as "Wanted" notched $6.5 million at 1,802 to lift the foreign cume to $146.8 million and "Hellboy 2" grabbed $5 million to push the international total to $48 million.

Family films continued to mint money overseas as "Kung Fu Panda" put its paws on $6.3 million at 2,922 -- mostly from its second Italian frame -- and Disney's "Wall-E" scooped up $6.2 million at 3,375 to reach $185 million. With fall under way, "Wall-E" will battle "Mamma Mia!" for the top slot as it launches next weekend in Australia, Greece and New Zealand.

Disney also racked up an impressive first-place launch in Mexico as its local version "High School Musical: El Desafio" took $2.3 million -- portending potentially strong foreign results when the Mouse opens "High Musical 3" in late October.

The frame also saw studios continue to proceed with caution on comedies. Three months after its domestic bow, Sony's "You Don't Mess With the Zohan" is in 37 markets with a foreign cume at $78 million; Paramount's "Tropic Thunder" is in only 16 territories with an $18 million international total.

And after a red-hot first half, Fox continues to see modest results. "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" generated $1.3 million off 899, mostly from a third-place Italian launch, pushing foreign cume to $42 million, and "Meet Dave" took $542,908 from 700 for a $31.4 million international total.
Old 09-07-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The real question - how's it playing in Norway?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.