Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else think that STARDUST was overall pretty bad?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anyone else think that STARDUST was overall pretty bad?

Old 12-26-07, 12:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Second, Suprmallet's center-aligned signature is really, really, really obnoxious.
Why does it make a difference? I'm not trying to be contentious, I just don't quite understand what the issue is between it being centered versus on the left.
Old 12-26-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
I just rented STARDUST and was surprisingly disappointed with everything about the film:

I think you might be in the minority on this one. I really enjoyed it.
Old 12-26-07, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one of the few movies that i can watch and have a smile on my face for nearly the whole film. It's just so darn likable.
Old 12-30-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
A little late, but I just rented and watched this today with my girlfriend and loved it. A nice lighthearted fantasy tale, with some funny bits (loved the ghost princes) and enough touching moments that weren't overly cheesy between the leads. The only thing I didn't really care for was DeNiro's character, but I did enjoy his crew.

But since this is a complaint thread, I didn't find any problems with the CGI watching it on DVD, and I did care for the leads. I didn't care for Claire Danes at first (I don't find her very attractive either), but she grew on me as her and Tristan travelled further along. I also enjoyed the lead Prince guy that made it to the end. I was actually hoping he'd live. I also found the woman that played Tristan's mom very attractive

I enjoyed this far more then the other fantasy faire that has come out recently though. All the positive DVDTalk members comments on this really swayed me to check it out.

P.S. I agree the centered sig is annoying.
Old 12-31-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fumanstan
A nice lighthearted fantasy tale, with some funny bits (loved the ghost princes)

Yeah, I enjoyed the princes too. I was annoyed for about half of the movie, as I couldn't place one of the main 3, but then realized it was Brian from Spaced (he looks a lot different, but still has those crazy eyes).
Old 01-04-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Just caught this last night via Netflix. I thought it was awful. I don't know how anybody could like a movie that has DeNiro dancing in drag. Seriously though, it just felt like they were trying to accomplish to much in too little time.
Old 01-04-08, 09:14 AM
Banned

Just watched this again. Loved it even more. Incredibly fun movie.
Old 01-04-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
We saw this towards the end of the summer and loved every second of it.

When I can find it used at Hollyood Video (my new favorite place for picking up DVDs on the cheap and in surprisingly good condition) I'll be sure to grab this one.
Old 01-04-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Me and a friend watched is last night, and really enjoyed it. And agreed that Danes was very hot, especially in HD.
Old 01-04-08, 02:45 PM

I recently saw it from Netflix and loved it. I was surprised as I expected to not like it but really did enjoy it all around.
Old 01-04-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I LOVED this movie, one of my favorite movies this year. Seen i 3 times so far and love it. Watched it the other night with my sister and some friends and they all liked it.
Old 01-05-08, 11:22 AM
Cool New Member

I thought it was good and one of my favorite movies of the year. It was a good Gaiman adaptation, and I can understand how he was pleased with it to give it his blessing. I hope it's poor American BO will not affect a potential Sandman adaptation.

It was probably the best fantasy movie of the year for me, better than Harry Potter 5 and Golden Compass, and the most faithful to its source material.
Old 01-05-08, 11:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by anyanka323
It was a good Gaiman adaptation, and I can understand how he was pleased with it to give it his blessing.
I just read the book a couple of weeks ago, and while there were some similar scenes and stories, the book is much more believable (especially the chemistry between the leads) and magical.
Old 01-06-08, 01:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Gaiman was around for quite a bit of the shoot, and he's all over the making of on the disc, so I think he approves of it. I prefer the ending of the book, but I think the ending of the movie works for that telling of the story.
Old 01-06-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was kind of excited by this movie from the trailer, as it seemed to be a nice blend of TIME BANDITS with THE PRINCESS BRIDE, both movies I love to bits.

It ended up being more like THE PRINCESS BRIDE, but with a way sappier romance between the two leads (that got to the point of annoying for me), and overall, not as funny "ha ha" as I wanted it to be.

It's basically a light hearted fairy tale adventure, and if I were a 14 year old girl I would probably have it high on my Top 10 Movies in my MySpace profile (and since I would have been born in 1993, I haven't seen a lot of movies to know any better).

Part of the movie I was interested in was Robert DeNiro as a captain of some sky pirates. He was just OK, his part is a lot different than you'd think going in and not much really went on with him and his crew. But there ship was pretty cool and it was interesting in that they seem to harvest lightning from the clouds to sell back to merchants for whatever reason.

Speaking of one of the merchants, he's played by Ricky Gervais (1/2 of the mastermind behind the original, and infinitely better, THE OFFICE as well as EXTRAS). He's one of my favorite comedians working today. He's awesome here.

Whoever did the score sounded like he studied both the themes from THE LORD OF THE RINGS and the PIRATES movies. At certain points he plain ripped them off. If you've seen any of those movies enough times, you'll recognize them on your own and go "hey, wait a minute!".

The CGI is pretty bad sometimes, especially with buildings and environment shots, but I don't think this movie was a big budget release so I guess I have to give them a pass on that, even though kids today are doing better on programs they download illegally off the internet and post them on YouTube as fan films.

The best parts are with Michelle Pfeiffer as 1/3rd of some witchy sisters. She's the most fun to watch, she has the better scenes, lines and dialog, and her spells are kick ass and VERY CREATIVELY DONE. D&D geeks will dig those scenes. Probably the best spell casting on screen ever, the CGI is way better in this department. The costumes are nice, kind of a colorful blend of RenFaire with Victorian.

My wife bailed out on it halfway through. Being a writer and bookworm, she got fed up with some of the dumb dialog and didn't like how passive the leads were. Kind of like how in WILLY WONKA where Charlie is definitely the hero of the piece, but what does he really do? He wins a ticket and he only wins the factory because all the other kids were a$$holes first. It was luck and process of elimination, he didn't do anything to earn his reward.

Anyway, there's a lot to love and hate about it, but it's worth a rental.
Old 01-10-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I just wanted to say I had a much better experience with this film on a second viewing. Maybe the difference was being at home, or maybe it was no longer having high expectations due to the Princess Bride comparisons.

Either way, it was nice that I was able to enjoy it. It's still no Princess Bride, but it's certainly one of the better films I saw last year.
Old 01-11-08, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can understand why people liked the film, but I still have no comprehension why anyone thought Claire Daines was hot in the film...